PDA

View Full Version : Desperated Chinese Pilot needs advice, please help!

button_higher
11th Aug 2005, 07:05
I have been around for a while but this is my first posting. I really need advice from you fellows. I will try to keep my long story short:

I am a Hong Kong Canadian which had lived in Toronto for 10 yrs. I graduated in 2002 from engineering in Toronto. I went back to Hong Kong for fun at the time and applied to CX and Dragonair's Cadet Pilot Program. Didn't really know what flying is at the time, and I got the flight grading chance (last round of the cadet pilot process) by both airlines. I really got hooked up to aviation since then. However, poor me, withouth any flying exp, I failed the 2-week flight grading and I almost broke down at the time since I found out what I wanted to do for life finally, got so close, and then lost it. I heard that they "sometimes" gave a 2nd chance given if I have some sort of improvement. Thus, I went back to Toronto, spent 2 yrs part time to get my CPL, Multi-IFR with 260 hrs. I went back to HK in 2005 summer (still in HK now) and just heard CX said they will never consider me again for cadet as there is no 2nd chane for people who had tried flight grading.

Heart broken again, and I applied to lots of airlines in Asia with my little flying hrs. Of course, there is no miracle in the flying industry. There are surely many flying new airlines in Asia, but it's just not for young pilot like me. I am turning 27 soon. and my family and love are all in HK. I really like flying, want to be an airline pilot, but I know it will be a long going path. I am planning to give myself 2 yrs of time in HK to see if I can achieve/like anything else; and at the same time, to gain some money for flying later. I have a non-aviation job, but I am looking for something related to aviation right now, may be flight engineering. 2 Yrs later, when I turn 29, if I still like flying that much and did not suceed in other career, I am planning to move back to Toronto and be an instructor, gain some hrs, and move up as any other Canadian fellow pilots. But that means I will be seperated again with my love, earning pennies and no gurantee for my future path (as always for pilots). My final goal will be moving back to Asia and be a airline pilot. Please understand that moving back right now to Toronto is not an option since I just settled down again in Hong Kong, and I really want to put some time and see if I can achieve anything else in HK.

I am deperated and would like your opinion:
1. Would I be too old to be an instrcutor around 29/30?
2. It's a silly question, but how long I need to get a taste of jet in North America/Asia?
3. What would you do? Moving back to Toronto means seperating with my love. And to gain hrs, I expect I will be there for a good few yrs. The reason that my love stays in Asia is because at least one of us will earn a decent salary to support each other.

Finally, thanks for going through my case, and I really welcome any sort of opinion. I am lost in flying.

cplpilot
11th Aug 2005, 13:13
1. my former instructor was 30 and was really good!!!!!
2. People here never see jets in their carrer, it all depends in WHO you know...
3. I would stay in HK, start your life and find another fliying job... just my opinion.
If you come here you will delay your life another 2 years, you will be 31 ad still out of job.... the final decision is still yours....
Is that true that China look for a lot of pilots?
In any case seem to me that that is the market that will grow a lot in the near future!!!!!:cool:
Ciao

button_higher
12th Aug 2005, 06:38
HI CPLPilot,

Thanks for your advice. I exactly know what you mean. I was once naive when I got into the Cadet Pilot Program. After I failed it, I know getting a job in aviation is hard, and the ball game is difficult to play in Canada, especially when you have so many pilots there.

Don't take me wrong, I am still actively trying any flying/aviation jobs aviation in Asia. But as I said, no reply so far. That's why I said I will give myself sometime in HK, and if 2 yrs later, I am still hooked up to flying, I will actively thinking about going back to Toronto to get some hrs. But it's really the last move that I want and also a tough choice. Thus, needs you guys' advice.

Thanks pal. Anyone else has comment ?

Left Wing
12th Aug 2005, 10:18
http://www.carnoc.com/en/index.htm

Apply in China you will get a job for sure, you may have to pay for your type rating, but China is really looking for Chinese pilots hwo can speak english. Go to Shenzen airlines office and talk to them.

If you put your efforst into China you will get a job.

pm me for more info

:ok:

29.92"Hg
14th Aug 2005, 05:42
Hi Button Higher,

Thanks for sharing. With your qualifications, definitely do consider looking for opportunities in mainland China.

Here's an article that talks about Okay Airlines, a new Chinese start up, which is hiring:
http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/06/26/news/pilots.php

As for CX, I have read on various postings that candidates who got to the flight grading stage can reapply two years after, whereas candidates who did not reach flight grading can apply one year after.

Another option in Canada is with the miltary
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/airforce/index_e.aspx

All the best!

button_higher
15th Aug 2005, 07:56
Hi Left wing and 29.92",

Thanks for your sharing. Yes, I read the article and it "seems" like China is looking for LOTs of pilots. However, went to their website, and there are no job posting for pilots. I am thinking if they are recruitment through other sort of job agent. Any insight?

I have applied to airlines in Thailand, Malaysia, India. Again, no reply whatsoever. I guess my flying hrs (260) is just too low to be considered!

But don't worry, will keep checking!

flash8
25th Aug 2005, 08:15
Good luck buddy, and you are certainly not too old.... heck some pilots (including I believe Mr. Prrune himself) got their first jet jobs in their 30's.

I'm in my 30's on the Dash-8, looking also for some EFIS jet somewhere.... one day maybe lucky... but good luck again!

saudipc-9
26th Aug 2005, 02:44
If you are a Canadian citizen have you thought about joining the Air Force? Best flying around if you are willing to put up with a bit of crap on the side!!

button_higher
27th Aug 2005, 06:23
Hi Flash8 and Saudipc,

Thanks for your comment. So, it seems age doesn't matter..

For the army thing, I thought about it when I was still in Toronto. But then, there is a 9-yr bound and I would rather wait for some other flying chance in HK at the time since my family and GF are all based there. But I've got to say, it's really tempting as it almost guarantee you a jet job afterward.

spencer101
29th Aug 2005, 18:54
Just remember the words guarantee and job don't go togerther very well in aviation in Canada:uhoh:

flash8
15th Sep 2005, 19:08
amen to that...........................!