PDA

View Full Version : Just checked out & mixed feeling re the bus

Bearcat
10th Aug 2005, 12:43
Just checked out on the 320s having spent many yrs on the 737....did 4 yrs prev on the 330.

Here is my gripes

The QRH is a mine field.....one has to go out of checklists to back into checklists to complete checklists. The smoke removal checklist was written by lawyers.

The MCDU is so user unfriendly compared to the 737......selecting airports pb beside the fcu fills in the ND with every friggin airport as agains the pertinant ones.

Wx radar is way too sensitive and the on/off and predictive w/s toggle swtchs are a joke...way to fiddly.

Our company didnt select the terrain prog which shows the highest and lowest terrain with actual figs...waste of time in many ways for sit awareness.

Aircraft way too speed senstive in flap retraction. If your resonably heavy Fplus is close to S plus and at the very time you are on to departure, turning, cleared to a different altitude...so one has very much to prioritize re not getting a flap overspeed and the rest will follow. Previous type wasnt so critical.

Poor climb perf above FL270

The pros

Big cockpit as against looking out of a letter box
Once its set up there is F. A to do....yet if you dont watch it it'll hang you.
The autobrakes are immense and hugely impressive.
Perf for T/O and Ldg not an issue.....bleeds off T/O without APU and with is mega.....B737 was a tricky affair if not familar.
AP very good in gusty wx
Air Con very good...dont feel as tired as on previous type after multi sector

Theres much more good to come as time on type marchs on but I thought I'd throw my bit in.:ok:

XPMorten
10th Aug 2005, 14:41
Bearcat,

Poor climb perf above FL270

According to BADA rev 3.6, this isn't necessary
the case. Depending on weight and which exact
FL you mean. In some cases the A320 has
better and equal FPM compared with the B734 and B738.
Also looks like the A320 has better FF all the way at nominal weights.
Looks like it actually is BELOW FL270 that the difference is significant...

Below are the numbers for A320 - B734 - B738
(edited to fit the screen)

Cheers,

M

http://www.xplanefreeware.net/~morten/jpgs8/320.jpg

Fly3
14th Aug 2005, 18:37
Bearcat, stick with it and I think you'll get to like it more. While I agree that the QRH is a bitch and the manuals leave a bit to be desired the protections such as Apha Floor in event of a GWPS going off and Groundspeed Mini function on a sh..ty weather approach more than compensate for that.