PDA

View Full Version : New EGCC holding area??

G-MANN
9th Aug 2005, 19:26
Can anyone from Manchester ATC confirm if there is a new or non standard holding area over Bury/Heywood area?

Saw an aircraft this morning 0615z circling at about 4000-5000ft. Looked like a 757.

Just was something that nearly caused me to crash my car!:D

G-MANN

kippax
9th Aug 2005, 20:39
In answer to you question, I doubt it
plus I imagine, quite a few VFR pilot's would be worried when flying in and out of Barton!!

Kp

G-MANN
9th Aug 2005, 21:10
Does that include you and 'GC'?

G-MANN

kippax
9th Aug 2005, 21:25
G,

Have you no work to do?

Yes, that does include me mate and I do not doubt for one minute your acft knowledge / Geography

That particular place is normally always busy, with GA taffic at all heights, some with no Transponders!!

Talk soon

Kp

Squadgy
10th Aug 2005, 09:38
Base of CAS in that area is 3500ft, droppiing to 2000 further South, so it's possible Manch could orbit traffic over there, (I think the nearest defined 'stack' is Rosun.

Could it possibly have been a non-standard hold relating to the DHC8 emergency discussed here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185243) ? Seems to fit in with the time.

kippax - repeat after me - "We will not fly our aircarft higher than 3499ft over Bury without clearance";)[

Scottie Dog
10th Aug 2005, 10:26
The time that you give relates to the period when a departing aircraft had declared a Mayday, having lost an engine on departure.

I suspect therefore that your aircraft - which had already started its approach from either Mirsi or Rosun - was just being held out of the way of the emergency traffic.

Hope that helps

Scottie Dog

Sorry Squadgy. only just seen you have already given the answer!!

kippax
10th Aug 2005, 10:41
Squadgy

I do not - repeat - do not fly above 2500 feet on Manc QNH over BURY - In fact I do not fly in that area a great deal come to think of it

My message related to "other GA traffic" (i.e NOT ME) which operate in that area. Some of which i have seen operating higher then 4000 feet. Also, I doubt they have mode "charlie" on their Transponder

kp

Satu
10th Aug 2005, 11:49
G-MANN

I think the guy's have answered your question regarding the B757

Kippax - I do hear what your saying about cowboy's at all height's!! this is a problem, especially when they have no mode charlie, (some with no awareness). This has been picked up by numerous people i have liased with

cheers

Squadgy
10th Aug 2005, 12:54
Kippax

I know you don't do that (which is why I put the ;) in !)

Give me a call BTW re flying next week - have left msg on your mobile :ok: