PDA

View Full Version : Renting in California

David Pick
8th Aug 2005, 23:27
I'm going to Sacramento in September to visit family, and want to fly. I'm going through FAA application process, so that's sorted, but I'm having some difficulty finding a rental outfit.

The only one I found emailed me that since 9/11, there is so much paperwork for foreign pilots that it isn't viable. Does this sound right, or was I getting a brush-off? Anyone know a good place to go in north California/sacramento?

thanks

Gerhardt
9th Aug 2005, 03:06
You're not getting the brush off. You've just run into someone that's not interested in exerting a lot of effort for just a little return. If you find your way to the midwest when you get to the U.S. and want to do some flying in a PA28 just send me a note and we'll log some time together, no charge.

David Pick
9th Aug 2005, 08:27
Thanks for the really nice offer, Gerhardt. Probably not on this trip, but one day...

raisin
9th Aug 2005, 10:01
Not sure if this is quite the right area, but....

I rented a 172 from Squadron 2 at Reid-Hillview Airport in San Jose back in 2003. It's a fairly large school/rental facility and the people there were really helpful and friendly when I enquired about flying from there. They've got a fairly large fleet of 172's and PA28's, so you should have a good variety aircraft to choose from (they're all pictured on their website as well).

If that's not really in right area for you, try www.bestaviation.net (http://www.bestaviation.net) which seems to have a pretty comprehensive list of FBO's and schools over there. Also, an absolutely fantastic site is www.airnav.com (http://www.airnav.com) which allows you to pick an airfield you want to fly from and displays links to FBO's on the field. It also has an excellent flight planning section.

slim_slag
9th Aug 2005, 10:35
Paperwork isn't that excessive, but I am guessing they don't want to have to keep your details on file for the length of time the TSA wants them too. By 'want to fly' do you mean rent and fly solo or would having an instructor by you be ok? If the latter just head down to the Bay Area and go somewhere like Hayward and pay for some dual. The Bay Tour is worth every penny. The airspace round there is quite tight so you need to be on your toes and they might not let you take it on your own if you are not used to that sort of thing.

David Pick
9th Aug 2005, 19:18
thanks, all for these suggestions.

What I have in mind is to find a friendly, local flying club, get checked out and do some local flying with my family.

I'm a recent PPL with about 75 power hours and about 140 gliding hours. I own a share of an Emeraude at a farm strip, and learned on Warriors at Aeros at Gloucester. I'm current.

Sensible
9th Aug 2005, 21:40
It really should be as easy renting an aircraft as a car, providing that you are not looking for training. I understand that to the letter of the law, the flight school should do a little paperwork when renting to a foreigner but my experience of three places where I have rented aircraft recently is that they just don't bother!

You will need an FAA licence which you will need to get rolling well before you visit the USA. Then you just need a current medical, a US flight review which you will get signed off at the same time as you do the rental check out!

slim_slag
10th Aug 2005, 10:27
Plenty of other airports in the Central Valley. As already suggested use airnav. They will give you the closest airports so just work your way through those until you find what you want.

Chico isn't too far north of Sac. Voted the best college party town, brews (IMHO) the best home grown beer to be found in USA, and has a nice airport.

The TSA want records of aliens to be held for years. Lots of these places are mom and pop type places and don't want to get involved in this, if they accidently lose something they fear the FBI will come down on them like a ton of bricks. Quite understandable really.

Don't take this the wrong way. I am sure you are a decent stick and rudder guy, probably better than most spamcan drivers who fly out of Bay Area airports, but it's busy down there and Gloucester just doesn't compare :)

Find a nice place and you will have a great time. I'd still do the Bay tour...

Heliplane
10th Aug 2005, 15:47
You shouldn't have any problems with TSA registrations etc if you simply wish to get checked out (including an FAA BFR) and rent solo. As far as I understand it, the TSA registration process only applies when you are training for a new licence or rating.

I try to get checked out from the local airfield wherever I travel in the US (I already hold US licences and ratings) and have never met any resistance. If you do, I'm sure there will be a handfull of other FBOs on the field or at nearby fields who would be very happy to rent to you.

My advice would be to use the time with the instructor to get very familiar with the US airspace system (VFR and clearance requirements for operating in Class B/C/D/E/G airspace) and to get a good briefing on how to check notams and TFRs prior to every departure (can do this free from any phone on 1-800-WX-BRIEF)). Also might be an idea to check the FBOs insurance provisions for renters and, if necessary, look into getting renters' insurance (not v. expensive).

slim_slag
10th Aug 2005, 16:58
Quite true heliplane, but still some people either don't understand TSA regs or just don't want to risk the potential hassle. Seems like Mr Pick has found one flight school who is one of the two.