PDA

View Full Version : San Diego or Long Beach??

TJF97
6th Aug 2005, 16:35
Can't make my mind up where to learn in California, Gillespie Field, San Diego or Long Beach Airport. Any suggestions to the better location??

Chilli Monster
6th Aug 2005, 17:43
Don't know Gillespie, but Long Beach is great. Great airport, plus lots to do in the local area if you want to do tourist things too.

Had a whale of a time there last year doing my multi engined Commercial / Instrument last year. Definitely going back some time.

pilotwolf
6th Aug 2005, 18:53
I d tend to agree that Long Beach is the best but then I m biased! But surely the school you chose might be a more important factor?

PW

WestWind1950
7th Aug 2005, 05:15
I know Gillespie Field quite well... it's a great airfield and you'll find less traffic I think then in Long Beach. I'll be visiting there myself again in September.

In the end, it depends on which school you're planning to train at. At Montgomery Field, which is west of Gillespie, there's American Flyers, which would be worth considering... at least I think they're still there. I myself fly with Golden State Flying Club (http://www.gsfc.com/) , but it's more a club atmosphere and in the end it all depends on exactly what you want to train for.

Whatever you decide, have fun!!

Westy

TJF97
7th Aug 2005, 11:29
I d tend to agree that Long Beach is the best but then I m biased! But surely the school you chose might be a more important factor?

My thinking is that if I went to a school in California the airspace is busy which is similar to the UK, compared to the Florida schools.

The school I've seen at Long Beach is UKFT and the school at Gillespie Field is one that I'm not allowed to mention on PPRUNE:confused:

clamb
7th Aug 2005, 17:39
There are several flight schools in Long Beach. Rainbow Air provided FAA PPL training. UKFT offers FAA PPL with the UK Radio Telephony Licence which is acceptable by the UK CAA. They also give you the free option of the JAA PPL.