PDA

View Full Version : Cessna force lands in cardiff street

PPRuNeUser0211
6th Aug 2005, 14:16
BBC news reporting a "cessna two seater" forced landed in a residential st on the outskirts of cardiff thisavo..... Ham radio operator reckons they carry "about 8 ltrs of fuel"!

see here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4127360.stm

Pilot Pete
6th Aug 2005, 14:32
"They must have been really lucky. Those aircraft carry about eight litres of fuel and it's pretty volatile fuel, so anything could have happened." Well, not quite anything I would have thought, but perhaps something...........

Glad to hear they were relatively unscathed.

PP

Max Revs
6th Aug 2005, 14:41
8 Litres of fuel? Wow, that's nearly two gallons!
Pretty volatile stuff? Well Mogas is pretty much like regular unleaded car fuel but, hey why let the facts get in the way of a good story? :p

BossEyed
6th Aug 2005, 15:09
Well Mogas is pretty much like regular unleaded car fuel

Yeah, pretty much :D :D

airship
6th Aug 2005, 15:20
He ! An one can make a t po can't the ?
C-150 standard fuel useable fuel capacit is 22.5 US gallons which is about uhmmm, eight litres... ;)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Aug 2005, 15:25
<<22.5 US gallons which is about uhmmm, eight litres...>>

Errrrrr????????????????????

VC10 Rib22
6th Aug 2005, 15:32
I know it's expensive to land at CWL but this is a bit extreme.
Then again, maybe they were hypnotised by the dulcet tones of a certain lady ATC at CWL rendering them incapable of continued flight (hello flower).

Glad everyone walked away.

VC10 Rib22

Farmer 1
6th Aug 2005, 15:40
If you shift the decimal point one place to port, you end up not all that far off 8 litres.

Only trying to help.

Rainboe
6th Aug 2005, 15:53
.8 litres? Why not switch it one place to the right? (only trying to be sarcastic!)

Maybe it didn't even have .08 litres if it force landed with fuel starvation!

Farmer 1
6th Aug 2005, 15:59
I can't see a decimal point in "eight" - unless that's it on top of the "i". But if you moved that to the right - I'd be confused.

I hate these sarcastic blighters.

flower
6th Aug 2005, 15:59
maybe they were hypnotised by the dulcet tones of a certain lady ATC at CWL rendering them incapable of continued flight (hello flower).

Not me this time VC10 I was asleep after night duties, and expensive to land at CWL eh, think we have some educating of you to do :p

Good to hear they all walked away from this, good flat land around there and well done to them for bringing it in safely.

FunkyMunky
6th Aug 2005, 16:25
Updated story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4127774.stm)

PPRuNeUser0211
6th Aug 2005, 17:31
hehe, good to see a private pilot making a good pfl:)

airborne_artist
6th Aug 2005, 19:04
Just how many schools and old peoples' homes did the hero pilot avoid?

The report says "The man narrowly avoided houses and a caravan park to carry out the forced landing on Wentloog Road, Rumney.", which was mildly heroic, I suppose.

Good result, and glad all are safe, if a little shaken.

phnuff
6th Aug 2005, 19:11
That's one way to get to the pub quickly !

"Some PPL's can hold nearly 8 litres of highly volatile beer and so anything could have happened "

bcfc
6th Aug 2005, 19:25
Is it G-BOVS?

I do hope not. I did my GFT in her and she was a beaut. :{

Hope all are well

FunkyMunky
6th Aug 2005, 20:02
Is it G-BOVS?

From the pictures on the BBC article, it looks like that registration but I can't make out the "O" completely:sad: :(

flower
6th Aug 2005, 20:09
From the pictures I saw it was G-BOVS

rotorcraig
6th Aug 2005, 21:37
Was it G-BOVS?It does appear so from this photo

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40662000/jpg/_40662174_cessnacrash2230.jpgA spokeswoman for Air Traffic Control, which monitors air travel in the UK, said...Well done BBC :rolleyes:

RC

robnewman
6th Aug 2005, 22:17
Slightly worrying that ATC only 'monitor air travel in the U.K'. I was under the impression that they had it pretty much covered!

Or perhaps they just count how many people fly out of Gatwick on a Bank Holiday!

I'll be right back ... just on the phone to the BBC to check!!

nasib
6th Aug 2005, 23:00
Then again, maybe they were hypnotised by the dulcet tones of a certain lady ATC at CWL rendering them incapable of continued flight
Unquote

And very hypnotising those tones are too. Particularly on Tuesdays

Nasib

Farrell
7th Aug 2005, 04:17
Cessnas with 8 litre tanks can only be found at Naples :E

Ultralights
7th Aug 2005, 06:56
Only 8 ltrs, no wonder he had a forced landing! :}

Droopystop
7th Aug 2005, 10:31
I hope there is a lot more to this story. If a public highway was the safest place to land after having engine trouble over a heavily populated area......

flower
7th Aug 2005, 11:08
And very hypnotising those tones are too. Particularly on Tuesdays

Tut Tut Nasib, you giving secrets away now. Was wondering where you were until I saw you back on Frequency again this last week.

For Public Highway read small lane. Personally i think you would aim for the most appropriate bit of ground in such a situation and thank goodness what ever they did they did it correctly as they walked away and the aircraft was virtually upright.

spitfire747
7th Aug 2005, 11:40
Cardiff Academy of Aviation

Press Release 6th August 2005

On Saturday 6th August 2005 12:30, one of our light training aircraft carried out a successful precautionary landing near Wentloog Road following a reduction in engine performance.

The aircraft was on a 1Hr training flight, with an instructor and student on board, neither suffered any injuries. The aircraft was returning to the airfield when the engine problems became apparent. The instructor decided to change course and head back towards the coastal areas as to avoid the built up areas around the airfield.

The aircraft landing in a nearby field, unfortunately the aircraft braking was reduced (due to the damp grass surface) and aircraft came to rest on the road adjoining the field.

Following the landing the aircraft suffered minor damage to the front nose wheel, engine cowling and propeller. The aircraft was transported by road to a local storage area, and the road reopened at around 16:00.

Droopystop
7th Aug 2005, 11:49
i am glad there was more to it that the good old beeb put across. I dispare at times when the media manage to present such a distorted view of events. It does make you wonder what the real story is with world events.

Gald both occupants walked away and well done to the handling pilot.

sikeano
7th Aug 2005, 16:28
latest from the ham operator
the pilot avoided all the sheeps in cardiff :ok:

not bad for a ppl hmmm
that was a good landing considering the amount of beer in belly

trevelyan
7th Aug 2005, 20:23
flew into cardiff yesterday, was parking up the arrow as the cessna was leaving. Paid my fees and jumped in to get going due weather and heard the whole thing unfold as i was on the climb out!!

Glad all is ok, not a nice thing to hear on the r/t...

:)