PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Runway Operations - Question

newswatcher
5th Aug 2005, 12:21
I thought that the operation of runways at Heathrow was switched at regular intervals between take-off and landing, to allow a degree of peace to LHR neighbours.

However, whilst waiting in a line for take-off from the northern runway yesterday, was surprised to see a Virgin 747 landing just after 9am, in the middle of a stream of "take-off" aircraft. Other 747s landing normally on Southern runway, at this time.

Got me idly wondering whether this is normal. Anyone? Apologies if silly question, but then it is Friday afternoon!

Gonzo
5th Aug 2005, 12:29
Could have been an emergency (medical too), or if the delay exceeds 20 minutes (that's now holding delay plus any slot delay at the departure airfield) we can 'TEAM' - Tactically Enhanced Arrival Mode, where we can land up to 6 a/c an hour on the 'departure' runway.

newswatcher
5th Aug 2005, 12:33
Thanks for that Gonzo. With all the problems of separating aircraft by type/size, I am sure you can do without this!

Jerricho
5th Aug 2005, 15:46
Nah, it just means they have to be real tower controllers and judge a lander against a departure :p :p

Gonzo
5th Aug 2005, 16:11
Well, that's put me in my place!

:{ :{ :{ :{

Jerricho
5th Aug 2005, 16:23
;)

You know I don't mean it

Gonzo
5th Aug 2005, 16:40
What do I care? I'm watching the cricket! :E

Spitoon
5th Aug 2005, 16:56
Cricket and ppruning - a true multi-tasker! Shifting aeroplanes must seem easy after that.

AlanM
5th Aug 2005, 17:44
Cricket and ppruning

I think that is what Andrew Strauss was doing an hour ago......

KEEP YOUR GOB SHOT JER!

Gonzo
5th Aug 2005, 19:18
Not just two tasks, Spitoon, obviously I had the TV on mute and was listening to Blofeld et al on TMS on t'internet.:E