PDA

View Full Version : Proof Reading Aviation Text Books

HGFC1
4th Aug 2005, 15:12
Does it actually happen?
I am currently working my way through the Air Law text books - I have access to two by different authors/editors and am astounded by the number of errors and spelling mistakes I have discovered so far. These books are allegedly written/edited by professional people but either they cannot spell or use a spell-checker themselves or they are employing people to proof read who patently obviously cannot do so either or really do not care. Why do we have to put up with such shoddy workmanship? I do check my facts with my FI whenever I find something which I am unsure of but what other incorrect facts am I being presented with that I do not know about? Are the rest of the textbooks of the same poor quality?

J.A.F.O.
4th Aug 2005, 17:05
This is GA, mate. We have to put up with shoddy allsorts.

If your car was the age of most of the GA fleet you wouldn't have to pay tax on it.

There's nowhere else on earth that you'll find people willing to take huge sums of money from you and then act as though they're doing you a favour.

Conditions at many airfields and clubs must fall outside any EU legislation and customer service is non-existent at many.

The government tax us to the hilt and then try to close all our airfields.

It's great fun, though, and I wouldn't be without it - welcome aboard.

HGFC1
5th Aug 2005, 04:57
J.A.F.O. Thanks for the welcome :ok: So far I'm really enjoying everything.

mazzy1026
5th Aug 2005, 12:47
I agree, there are some terrible mistakes in the text books. What gets me the most, is that a lot of the diagrams are black and white, for example the ASI arc, which is colour coded for ease of use - the black and white image is labelled by pointing out which colour is which - and then - you turn the page to discover a lovely colourful picture of the inside of a HSI gyro :confused: :confused: :confused:

HGFC1
27th Aug 2005, 16:44
I just thought I would bring you up to date. I sent an email to the publisher detailing what I had found and after a rather long wait finally had a reply stating that my comments had been noted and passed to the editor for the correction to be included in the next edition. Nice to know somebody is listening. :ok:

Maxflyer
27th Aug 2005, 17:10
How about concentrating on the studying and worrying about the need for proof reading when you've passed. Most people seemed to manage ok, even with a few spolling mistakes!

:) :) :)

IO540
28th Aug 2005, 08:06
HGFC1

If you think Trevor Thom PPL books have errors, try Book 5 (IMC Rating) :O

These books were written to get you through the CAA exams, and a lot of their terminology corresponds to the word games which the CAA uses in the exam papers.

The good news about all this stuff is that you have to do it exactly once per lifetime. When you get your PPL and sort out access to something reasonable to fly, you will probably never look back.

parris50
28th Aug 2005, 14:40
My edition of the PPL confuser had some wrong answers. Confused the hell out of me!

Also, in the Jeremy Pratt Human Performance book, I remember a picture of an altimeter but the caption was incorect by 10,000 ft. The paragraph was about how easy it is to misread instruments.