PDA

View Full Version : WW2 ATC info

WhiskeyBravo
4th Aug 2005, 10:23
Hello all,

First post but a long time lurker.

I'm hoping someone can give me a few pointers on where to go for info about Mil ATC during WW2.

I'm currently in the very early stages of researching a project about flying training in the UK immediately before and then during the early war years before the Empire Training system was fully established. One aspect I want to examine is the development of Mil ATC during the period to include such things as circuit procedures, R/T, emergencies etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

WB.

SID East
4th Aug 2005, 17:01
Have you tried to contact anyone at the Central Air Traffic Control School (CATCS) at RAF Shawbury?

As well as the thousands of pictures dating back to the start of ATC (started by pilots actually) I'm sure they have an abundance of ATC history. In fact whilst a student I remmeber seeing a somewhat dated CATCS video which started off with what happened in WW2 and the origins of ATC. It appeared to be voiced over by Harry Enfield's Mr Cholmondeley-Warner!

Maybe a current CATCS instructor can shed some light on this forum.

http://www.shawbury.raf.mod.uk/catcs.html

The above link to the station website only starts post 1950 but it's a start.

Hope it helps.

:ok:

Heimdall
4th Aug 2005, 18:50
There's some info on:

www.catcs.co.uk

Heimdall

Atcham Tower
5th Aug 2005, 08:27
Try The Dark Haven by FTK Bullimore (1956) and Britain's Military Airfields 1939-1945 (1985) by David J Smith. Both out of print but obtainable via internet second hand book dealers.

Widger
5th Aug 2005, 12:40
I think there are a couple of Instructors at CATCS that could give you their own experience of ATC in WWII!

:E :E :E

WhiskeyBravo
6th Aug 2005, 15:10
Many thanks for the info. I'm off on hols now for a week so won't be able to reply to any further posts till I get back.

Thanks again,

WB.

Milt
7th Aug 2005, 00:32
Clear on Initial

Does anyone know the origins of the military use of Initial Approaches to runways as a means of arranging an orderly flow of multiple traffic entering a circuit pattern.

Was this a WW2 development by USAAC/USAF or the RAF?

And what sort of circuit patterns/arrangements did the Luftwaffe and the Japanese employ in WW2?

The initial approach of a large formation breaking at constant intervals on to a downwind will always be observed as a fascinating spectacle.