PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

avio
3rd Aug 2005, 21:15
Hello ,
I am new to the website as well as flying . I have a situation currently which i would like to put forward to the forum and take the suggestion of experienced pilots here .
I am currently an Electrical Engineering ( 3 year ) student specializing in Electronics with a dual in Engineering Management . I have a keen interest in avionics . I have a good academic standing and I plan to take up Masters in Avionics engineering at Mc Gill or Concordia upon completion of my degree .
I plan to take up a career in the field of aviations and flying interests me a lot . I have decided to take a private license and go on to get a commerical license to fly as a career .
My question here is , after having some discussions with members in the flying clubs , i just have the feeling my engineering education would not be used to the best of abilities if i take up a career as a pilot . In this regard , do i still go ahead and pursue a masters in avionics or start my training now and have the licenses by the time i complete engineering . I was at the Candian Student Summit on Aerospace recently held by Canadian Aeronautics & Space Institute ( CASI ) for a research paper presentation and speaking to some professionals from the industry in engineering , i was adviced that only a pilot could give me a better perspective on my situation .

I feel if i could get a Masters in avionics i would be able to get into the industry . This , people tell me is a key to make it to commercial flying as a career . Or can i stop after engineering , continuing with my licenses and work as an engineer for aircrafts . If the latter could be true , are there any positions for people like me specifically in the airline industry ( as getting into boeing , bombardier , thales etc in design engineering is the other option ) . Are there positions for aircraft engineers in companies like AC and likes .
I would be glad if my queries could be answered as i am quite not sure which path i take though i know i want to take up my licenses .

20driver
4th Aug 2005, 14:58
Tough spot - but as an engineer I'd suggest you go for the masters degree.

Couple of reasons

One pilot hiring in Canada is very cyclical - you never can predict where it will be.
Engineers are always in demand at some level - the education is well regarded and will get you into a lot of non-engineering jobs. (Most engineers stop doing engineering within a few years and become managers at some level - Unemployed ATP's do valet parking etc - harsh but true)

- Looking at the recent posts re Air Canada hiring having a degree is regarded very favorably – a master’s will only help
(When I was at Concordia they had a guy come round once a year to give a talk - AC 767 pilot - he had a Masters Mech Eng from Stanford!!!)

- If you do some homework there is a very sweet scenario that will piss off everyone here.
_Get your self some sort of aviation related post - ideally as contractor or consultant
-Get your employer/client to write a letter requiring you to get a CPL , APT etc saying this will enhance your job prospects etc (This becomes so much easier if you are self employed – all you need say is – hey it will get me more business – better rates etc)
Your training is tax deductible - and remember you now have a job therefore you have money so a deduction is worth something.

(Check with a tax advisor – but the general rule is training required by an employer is deductible if it is to qualify you for new work, promotion etc. It is not deductible to get you a current opening. Certainly true here is the states – used to be roughly the same in Canada)

Best of all – hate to say this – the engineering degree will get you a TN into the states and then you could get into test flying etc. Also the tax deductible training described above becomes a fact.

Also to fly as a carrer can mean a lot more than flying the line - I would say a CPL/ATP with a masters in engineering, PE etc could have a very nice time indeed. Do some flying without being stuck in some senority system with 10 years of Christmas in Rimouski etc etc. There is a huge market in upgrading, retrofitting big iron and all those planes need to be test flown.

The big downside I see is all engineering jobs in North America are under attack and a great many of them are headed to Munbai or Bejing.

Good luck
20 driver
PS - Did both McGill and Concordia - either can be a good choice - suggest you sit in on a few classes at each before you commit.

avio
4th Aug 2005, 21:19
Thank You for your reply driver . I met the CFI of Rockcliffe Flying Club here in Ottawa .
Interesting as he did suggest the same , that i go ahead and get a Masters in Avionics Engineering at the same time get my licenses .
As far as getting employment in the aviation industry goes , i was suggested to talk to some person at Canadian Aviation Maintenance Council regarding the AME Licence . He says to make the candidature impressive , if i can have a AME license that would give me a chance to be employed in the industry . I could always look at this as a back up option too .
AS of now , i plan on going for Masters which would take care of my PEngg license for the engineering side , AME for getting into the industry hopefully .
Now i wanted to know , if i start working as an apprentice would i still be able to deduce my training costs in taxes . As i am sure it makes more sense for an AME to get a CPL than any one else .
Would you mind suggesting how i go about that . Can i PM you on that .
I am glad you have been in the same shoes yourself . Personally i feel both Mc Gill and Concordia are good . I would also like to talk to you about that .
Would wait for your reply .

zorx
6th Aug 2005, 17:32
No money in this racket however I would recommend military companies in the US which with your degree you can work doen there for general dynamics of some other missle maker.Ditch Canada and the av biz:yuk: