PDA

View Full Version : Af358

apache43
3rd Aug 2005, 03:39
Thank the Lord that evryone got out toady in CYYZ. Was watching the media coverage with rapt interest as I used to work in that tower. Was wondering about the mention of windshear warning systems. I know they exist on the a/c, but how many airports out there have them?

Fox3snapshot
3rd Aug 2005, 07:13
Great news on the welfare of the passengers.....

...but I am not convinced the windshear prediction capability is as prevelent amongst the aircraft nor the ATC units managing them as would be expected. Microburst/windshear technology is still enjoying an experimental if barely operational capability in most circumstances, though efforts are being made to improve it day by day.

Mother nature is still in command and if this was the major contributing factor then there is little that can really be done about it.

As the investigation progresses and all the relevent data collected a more accurate appraisal of the situation will become available.

It is still a fact that no matter how many gadgets and gizmo's are available for weather prediction the natural variables outwit mans attempt at beating them.

:ugh: