PDA

View Full Version : Finding a JAA Examiner

GroundBound
2nd Aug 2005, 08:47
I ned to find a JAA examiner, in the Stansted area, who can sign my JAA PPL revalidation by experience.

Can anyone give me any contacts?

Ta kindly.

GB

BingoWings
2nd Aug 2005, 20:21
Groundbound, you could also search for a GRE, he could sign your revalidation by experience. Doesn't need to be an FE(PPL) or higher.
You will find somebody at Stapleford for sure, or Andrewsfield, Panshangar or Elstree.
If they charge you more than £20, stick your middle finger up!
PM me if any problems.

BEagle
3rd Aug 2005, 05:32
If you are asked to pay anything, then stick your middle finger up!

In pre-JAR-FCL days, Examiners were specifically forbidden to charge for signing '5 in 13' paperwork; unfortunately this wasn't carried forward with the advent of Eurocracy.....

Do some Examiners really charge for revalidation/renewal paperwork? I certainly don't!

Icarus Wings
3rd Aug 2005, 07:35
why shouldnt an examiner charge? he charges for a skill test and he's spent his time and money obtaining the ratings.

provo
3rd Aug 2005, 15:49
I'm with BEagle on this one. I've never charged for signing someone off and I'm not aware of any others that have done so.

But then again maybe we're just too nice!!

hugh flung_dung
3rd Aug 2005, 19:29
But then again maybe we're just too nice!! There's no "maybe" about it, I KNOW I'm too nice ;)

I've never charged for doing the paperwork either, but logically it wouldn't be unreasonable to charge because we're providing a service and it costs a significant amount of money to maintain the ability to provide the service.

HFD

BingoWings
3rd Aug 2005, 20:56
I don't charge anything either, but I can’t blame people for covering their costs and charging a minimal amount.
I have to pay the CAA to be able to do this; it is not unreasonable to charge a fee. However, there are some I know who take the pi$$.
provo, I’m glad you are in a position to ‘be so nice’.

FormationFlyer
4th Aug 2005, 09:12
Im with BEagle too. Its obscene to charge just to make few simple checks and sign a piece of paper.

GroundBound
4th Aug 2005, 10:32
BingoWings

Thanks for the info - I presumed you meant CRE (Class Rating Examiner)?

From Lasors it says:A SEP (Land) and/or TMG class rating can be revalidated by flying experience by producing logbook evidence to an appropriately authorised JAR-FCL Examiner, However, it doesn't say what sort of examiner is appropriately authorised

Can a CRE sign for revalidation by experience? Again from LASORS The privileges of a CRE(A) are to conduct:
a) Skill tests for the issue of class and type ratings for single-pilot aeroplanes.
b) Proficiency checks for revalidation or renewal of class and type ratings for single-pilot aeroplanes and revalidation of instrument ratings. which is about the skill test and proficiency checks rather than signing the 'by experience'.

Sorry if its seems nit-picking but I've not come across this CRE before.

GB

OpenCirrus619
4th Aug 2005, 11:02
No - he meant a G

See page 30 of: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_fcl_21_v4.pdf