View Full Version : To call or not to call a G/A

Global TM
1st Aug 2005, 21:29
Good Day all.

I am looking for your different opinions/advice/suggestions/objections.
Company SOP ‘’PNF must call Go around if Master Caution illuminates....... during a dual channel approach''?
Aircraft in question is a B737/300.LVP’s in force, CAT III
Eg: master caution annunciation-Overhead-flt data recorder.
Why call for a go around in this case?(not after the tech info)
What indications would warrant a go around in such poor conditions?

Thanks and safe flying
GTM

Human Factor
1st Aug 2005, 22:28
Can't remember the 733, long time ago. However on some types, the master caution is inhibited for certain functions below a certain height. Basically, it's restricted to those things which would effect an autoland.

As I said, it was a long time ago but I don't think the 733 had anything inhibited. From your post (getting a master caution for FDR failure), it would indicate not. The reason for the SOP is most probably that at 200ft or less, heading towards the ground in zero vis, it's not a good idea to be diagnosing whether or not a particular master caution will effect the autoland or not. Best to get away from the ground, check it out and have another go.

rubik101
4th Aug 2005, 22:52
This was done to death some weeks ago. Please can a moderator send him/her to the correct thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOAC
5th Aug 2005, 08:43
rubik - the ONLY recent thread I can find is this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158753&perpage=15&highlight=goround&pagenumber=1) which refers mainly to no auto 'uptrim' on a 737.

Personally, as HF, I would advocate a g/a and review unless landing was essential, since it is not really a good time to be looking up and trying to find the problem which may be critical.

alexban
5th Aug 2005, 10:54
there is a definite list with the required items for doing a LVP approach (like 2 indep sources of elec power,2 autopilots,2 EADIs,2 IRUs,2 ADIRUs in NAV mode,both eng operating,2 hydraulic sys,2 FMAs)
The FCTM says :' faults can occur at any point during an AFDS app.Many non-normal situations are possible.The flight deck is designed so that a quick analisys and decision can be made for virtually all non-normal or fault situations using the AP/AT indicators,FMA,master caution.'
If the equipment failed is not required for the app (e.g. flight director, FDR,....) continue the approach.If the equipment is required for the approach,adjust to the appropriate higher minimums or go-around.
So,in this scenario the indications that would warrant a go-around (or higher minimums) would be a failure of one of the required items from above (easy to verify if this is the case).