PDA

View Full Version : Deutsche BA bust?

CR2
18th Oct 2001, 12:40
Anyone know if this is true? Just heard it from a colleague.

udito
18th Oct 2001, 14:23
There have been rumours for quite some time. I hope it's not true, otherwise the only choice within Germany is Lufthansa. And they would love to take full use of their re-won monopoly... :mad:

newswatcher
18th Oct 2001, 15:31
From the "Capital" magazine:

British Airways PLC is on the verge of dissolving its German carrier Deutsche BA, Capital magazine reported, without citing sources.

The magazine said that British Airways no longer wants to keep the airline afloat after ten years of losses from Deutsche BA and a loss of 25 mln eur in 2000.

Under the current industry conditions, BA will be hard pressed to find a buyer for Deutsche BA and will instead look to sell off only the most attractive routes, it said.

Capital magazine said an option is for the charter airline Germania to take the pick of the domestic routes, such as the Berlin to Munich, while the rest will be closed.

A Deutsche BA spokeswoman said she could not confirm the report, but acknowleged the carrier has serious financial difficulties.

"Currently the level of pre reservations of tickets is down by 20 pct in comparison with the same period last year," she said.

udito
18th Oct 2001, 17:53
Really bad news. I hope they will survive. But I know one thing for certain: before being forced to fly Lufthansa I better take the car or the train!
No way LH!

bean_counter
19th Oct 2001, 01:26
most likely some truth in this rumour ??
BA were lucky enough to get shot of Air Lib to the Swiss, no reason to think they wouldn't like to get out of germany too as air lib was in the same situation as deutsche still is - dominant home carrier protected by government and sluggish regulators from fair competition.

With majors like BA losing cash by the bucket load this must be an unwanted additional drain ?

sympathies to the staff.

R308R
19th Oct 2001, 01:56
Could BA re-open the Berlin Base that it used to have before DBA? It would possibly provide a home for any surplus aeroplanes and crew to operate the routes that could make money?

crewrest
19th Oct 2001, 03:01
Bring back EuroBerlin Ahh! That made money before Great Aunt Luftie killed it.

FL310
19th Oct 2001, 04:04
Not many of my "old" colleagues left at Deutsche BA, remember the days when the aeroplane was a King Air and the company was called "delta air"....until Crossair came, introduced the Metro and later the Saab...and lost interest....and others....and now BA....
Well guys...good luck...

Stall4All
19th Oct 2001, 12:26
Hi,

Well there could be some thruth in all these rumours. I work for Germania Airlines and there is a rumour, a very strong one, that we will be starting line flights from berlin to Frankfurt and Munich. I really hope these aren't the ones DBA is supposed to give up.

Like i said there's alot of talking in our industry, so lets just hope we will have something to keep talking about in the near future.

Good luck, and if someone from DBA could confirm, or deny any of these romours, that would be nice!!

Grtz Stall

udito
19th Oct 2001, 13:23
Let's assume Deutsche BA gives up and Germania takes the profitable routes over...Lufthansa will try anything to kick them out as well. No dirty trick is too dirty for LH. They really **** me off. And so does the Bundeskartellamt which is only a puppet of LH...what have they done so far to keep up competition?

Now way LH. :mad:

Kerosene Kraut
19th Oct 2001, 13:40
Hope DBA stays in the business. Can't imagine BA to dump it after investing so much money. One the other hand: Expect Ryanair to expand in Germany making it not too comfortable for LH over there.

Denti
19th Oct 2001, 23:07
Rod Eddington told the staff at Deutsche BA that "Deutsche BA is cash positive and in good shape" (never knew we`re cash positive, but he is supposed to know it). According to the figures presented by some guys from management Deutsche BA has the leanest cost structure within British Airways Group. At least the salary for all staff (not just flying) is very low. I don't know though what that Adrian Hunt-guy is earning.

Avman
20th Oct 2001, 02:35
Stall4All, DBA has never operated Berlin - Frankfurt to my knowledge.

Georgeablelovehowindia
20th Oct 2001, 02:55
crewrest: Ahh...EuroBear! The best fun we ever had with (and without) our clothes on! Shame they knocked the bloody wall down. I was there that night as well...

Stall4All
20th Oct 2001, 19:49
Avman, you are right, the flights to Frankfurt are NOT being overtaken from DBA.

As far as I know these are slots that have just been bought. I don't know from which airline.
But I can confirm: we are starting lineflights from approx 15 November this year. I just had it officially confirmed. And Frankfurt is certain since they are now officially requesting applications from CA's for a position as Purser)Based at FRA per December.

Furthermore the lineflights to Munich are still said to also be in the game. So the question is are those from DBA???

To be honest I am getting the feeling : NOT. And I truely hope so for my collegues with DBA.

Greetz

Stall