PDA

View Full Version : Night flying restrictions

WestWind1950
30th Jul 2005, 05:57
I'm going to "out" myself a bit here (finally?) but I think you guys can probably help me the best.

My boss is involved in the proceedings for the new runway at FRA. As is usually the case, there are lots of people against it, especially because of noise, etc. They obviously want to inforce complete night restrictions, beyond that which are presently in effect.
My boss knows that I spend lots of time at various internet sites with lots of information and asked me to help (as he does often)... so here I am.
He said that the anti-aircraft noise people are using Paris and London as examples of night noise restrictions... I got the impression they think the restrictions are stricter then in FRA and what is planned for FRA after the new runway is built. You can imagine what kind of politics are being played here to avoid getting that new runway built!

So, my question: what are the actual night flying restrictions in Paris and London (or any other major aerodrome if possible)?

I think the info might be interesting for everyone but feel free to pm or e-mail me if you prefer: [email protected]

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.... thanks in advance!!

Westy

GT3
30th Jul 2005, 08:55
At LHR the night jet ban is from 2330 local. Meaning no departures. However BA and BMI have a quota that allows them to depart a set number of aircraft each year. The BAA also I believe has a quota to allow other airlines to depart after this time.

When there have been bad delays during the day, ie bad wx or loss of runway then the night jet ban seems to be ignored.

In the morning some of the Far Eastern flights can arrive between 0530 and 0600 local, then after 0600 local its free for all.

There are some taxi and engine running restrictions on the south side of the airfield that affect Terminal 4 operations, however these are just to keep noise down for the Hilton hotel???

I would expect that Terminal 5 will have lots of draconian night noise restrictions making ATC harder than it already is.

Hope this helps and if I have made any mistakes feel free to correct.

Spitoon
30th Jul 2005, 09:33
The current scheme used at some of the UK's larger airports is a quota system with different aircraft types contributing to the quota based on the level of noise each generates. There's a page on the topic on the British Airways website (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/crnoise/public/en_gb) - the relevant bit is toward the bottom of the page. Do a search for 'noise quota' and 'airport' and you'll find plenty more information together with variations on the UK scheme.

WestWind1950
30th Jul 2005, 11:21
thanks you guys!! I'll check that out Spitoon!

Westy

vintage ATCO
30th Jul 2005, 15:13
Westy

There is an annual Supplement to the UK AIP issued for Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted which explains the quota system and what the quota count is for each aircraft. The current Supplement is SUP 3/2005 and is available here (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/sup/505003.PDF) (Site requires registration but it is free. The doc is 26 pages and takes a while to download even at 3MB. Be patient! :D) Good bedtime reading. :bored: