PDA

View Full Version : Gliding in a Discus-2c T ?

mateusathome
29th Jul 2005, 12:05
Am looking to purchase a Discus-2c T and would be keen to know if anybody here has experience of this particular glider.

OpenCirrus619
29th Jul 2005, 12:41
Try posting on the uras and ras threads on http://www.gliderpilot.net :ok:

Don't post on the urasb (banter) thread - unless you want some, shall we say, less than helpful replies. :(

Blinkz
29th Jul 2005, 12:44
personally i think getting a turbo glider is just not the point of gliding. If you want to glide then buy a glider, if you want a power plane then buy a powered plane!

Just my 2p :E :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jul 2005, 13:04
Surely that depends upon what you think the point of gliding is.

If it's the teamwork, cameradery, fun of pushing and pulling aeroplanes, then I agree.

If it's the pure gliding, why not use a self-launcher, and vastly improve your faffing to flying ratio. You just turn the engine off at 2000ft after take-off as god intended.

G

MLS-12D
29th Jul 2005, 14:39
Hello mateus,

You may wish to read the Free Flight article, "Flying Motorgliders ... is still a work in progress" (http://www.wgc.mb.ca/sac/freeflight/03_06.pdf) (pages 10-14), by Réal Le Gouëff. As you'll see, it contains a fairly detailed discussion of both the Discus CS and the 2T. Not exactly the same as the 2cT, I know, but should still be of some use.

Réal also maintains a Discus 2 Turbo Web Site (http://www.d2t.8m.com/), and if you'd like to email him I'm sure that he'd be pleased to correspond with you.

I hope this helps!

MLS

P.S. to Gengis: a turbo glider like the Discus 2cT is a sustainer, not a self-launcher ("take-off as god intended", indeed ... what drivel).

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jul 2005, 15:56
No, I meant turn the engine off at 2000ft and glide as god intended.

Last I checked the regs a self-sustainer is a motorglider that can't take-off in 600m. It it always needs a tow to get airborne, THEN you need the engine my apologies - learn to thermal properly !

G

Skylark4
29th Jul 2005, 19:45
Blinkz,
You are so wrong. I assume that you do know something about what we are discussing here, i.e. that a Turbo is a sustainer engine only and not a self launcher.
The problems today with reduced numbers of people in gliding and the pressure of alternative ways of spending time and money mean that the Turbo is very much the way to go. Minimal licensing, (none) and an almost guaranteed return to base at dusk whilst still having the camaraderie of the normal club launch system gives the best of both worlds. Just consider the difficulties with finding a retrieve crew who are actually correctly licensed and insured to come and get you together with trhe cost of buying off the litiginous farmer and his platinum potato crop and the cost of repairs from damage caused by hidden obstructions, dark derigs and road damage. Only downside to turbo is cost and some complication. Worthy trade in my book.

Mike W

Blinkz
29th Jul 2005, 21:19
I just think that knowing you can get out of trouble if you need to takes the excitment out of it thats all. I do understand the reasons for it, but in my opinion (am I still allowed to have them??:confused: ) I think that putting an engine in a glider is not the point of gliding. If you are worried about landing out then fly a powered plane!! Half the fun of gliding is landing out imo.

:ok:

bletchleytugie
30th Jul 2005, 11:30
Getting back to the orignal question.

Cockpit ergonomics - nice and roomy although I have found the 2C can be a bit tight around the shoulders if you've got a heavy jacket on and intend going wave flying/ridge running in winter.

Handling - its a Discus, with the caveat that if the engine fails to start and for good measure then fails to retract you've got a plastic K8 - however if your like me (mechanically challenged) getting the engine out in plenty of time and remaining within reach of a suitable field should it all fail generally you should have no problems.

Like all Sustainers it is very noisy in the cockpit with engine running and I would consider taing a pair of ear plugs/defenders with me if one was to contemplate a long session with the engine running continously.

Hope this helps

Bletchleytugie
Windrushers Gliding Club
Bicester