PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada hiring non atpl

B737FO
27th Jul 2005, 23:19
Any truth to Air Canada interviewing CPL licensed guys? I have heard of guys with DC3 time no ATPL getting offered interviews in August.

Just curious if any non jazz people being emailed for an interview??

merlin66
28th Jul 2005, 04:20
The only guy I know who has an interview has DC-3,DC-4 and fire bombing experience. He has 2200 hrs, University and Aviation College, and no ATPL.

Canadian Beech
28th Jul 2005, 13:24
Probably Aircan Kids...:rolleyes:

Tan
28th Jul 2005, 22:21
There are no AC kids on any of the courses so far as the initial selection is by a third party..

Canadian Beech
29th Jul 2005, 01:18
I was under the impression the guys on the crse were from thye pool, from 4 yrs ago...it's the ones getting interviews rigt now that must be (in my opinion) CanKids.

Tan... I was under the impression that there was only ONE Ops manual crse so far... the next two won't be til Aug.

Tan
29th Jul 2005, 16:50
Rest assured there are no AC kids getting interviews if they don't meet the same standards as everyone else. The initial selection is by a third party. It appears that having a university degree carries a lot of weight but they are more interested in the candidates being well rounded.

B737FO
30th Jul 2005, 00:08
Well regardless of who it is when Air Canada hires it helps the whole Canadian industry for pilots. I hope the down slope is finally over. Yes it seems that University Degrees are what they are looking for. We shall see.

MLS-12D
6th Aug 2005, 12:12
It appears that having a university degree carries a lot of weightAs yes; the irresitable force of credentialism (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Credentialism). How very silly (http://www.amadorbooks.com/rants/rant0104.htm).

Personally, I have three university degrees ... none of which have anything to do with my abilities as a pilot. :rolleyes:

Speed Weasel
6th Aug 2005, 19:10
I know for sure of at least one interviewee in August with CPL only. That is accompanied by a University degree though

Obbie
6th Aug 2005, 23:46
It can't be the only thing, 5500 total, 2000 jet, ATPL, B.Sc.

and no call. Why did I ever drop out of French?

Oh ya !!!! because I hated it !!!!!!!!!

brucelee
7th Aug 2005, 00:23
Those with cpl only will have to have proof of having succesfully passed the atpl writtens as part of TC new policy for flying commercial aircraft over 12.5. Getting the hours for the atpl will not be a problem.

spencer101
7th Aug 2005, 02:45
I hope that they are putting the same weight on an aviation technology diploma form a college program, as they seem to be a university degree in whatever.

And by the way has anyone noticed that on their online application they have left out Sault College as an accredited institution. I guess my 3 years their was for nothing:ugh:

doo
7th Aug 2005, 06:23
They left off my Airline, another Star Alliance partner.

brucelee
7th Aug 2005, 14:22
Just a point of interest, the July course had only ten people and four were ex Central Mountain Air B1900. All had ATPL. Not all, in fact few had a degree.

Mikey21
8th Aug 2005, 03:10
Just to make you feel better!!

I have 3 university degrees. and fluent in French( my 1st language), 12,5 time.....
And they are not interrested in me..

So no worries... As far as guys on course having no parents working at AC, that's is no true.. most of them have no internal connections, but some do.

400 pilots, excluding retirement, just be patient, most of you will get a call, it is just a matter of how far down the list you want to be??

Good luck to you all,

Vivekununda
9th Aug 2005, 16:08
spencer101: I didn't see a list of any educational institutions...where was it?

spencer101
9th Aug 2005, 21:45
From what I can remember of the application process, there were 7 pages to fill out and one of the pages delt with your past education. There was a drop down list of schools to choose from and Sault College was not on the list. I can't be more specific right now without going and looking at my application again and I don't have time for that right now.

Hope this answeres your question.

theflyinggreek
11th Aug 2005, 16:39
This just in...

AC has just adopted the university or college diploma requirement.

This standard was brought in last week.

in limbo
11th Aug 2005, 18:06
Well that is just %#$$@%$ GREAT!:*

shocked and awed
12th Aug 2005, 02:26
Well, if you don't care about experience you have to care about something.

Personally I'd rather have a pilot with hours than just an education. (although hours with an education is great)

I heard about a 22 year old that just got hired by A/C. No inside help. Right seat PC12 (does that even count for anything ?).

Heard about another that failed their Captain upgrade on a small twin turbo. Sure want them flying me around. Can't fly a twin but can fly a 67?? Doubtful.

I hope AC is prepared for a high dropout rate with their new hires.

I heard some Jazz guys are getting on but not many.
I guess age is a factor. Experience isn't.

Being young with a degree you probably won't have much experience.

I think I'll travel with West Jet in the future!!

As Always

Shocked and Awed !!:ooh:

meaw
12th Aug 2005, 14:44
to the guys who have no university or aviaiton college,

The university or aviation college requirement has always been there.It was there when I was hired WITHOUT EITHER one.I had about 4500 TT , 3000 turbine and some turbine PIC.

And NO my dad is not a pilot and I had nobody inside helping.
What counts is the overall package, the overall experience and your personality.

The university degree is not a definite pass or fail thing and I can attest that most guys I was hired with did not have one.
The talk is 600 pilots in the next 2 years so i am not worried for you guys ,I am sure all of you who have decent hours will get a chance.

You guys are right, I would prefer being piloted by a guy who is a good pilot, not one that just got in because he has a degree in Underwater Basket weaving.Luckily common sense does prevail here and AC has, does, and will hire many more pilots without university degrees.(just flew with a guy who has an engineering degree and he flies like s....t, nervous, pain in the ass.)

centerstored
14th Aug 2005, 06:18
Good points meaw, but how is the hiring board supposed to know what kind of person you are from an online application. You could have everything AC wants, but never get the call because your name was never hit with the dart!??

Mostly Harmless
14th Aug 2005, 17:06
From the Air Canada Website Aug 14, 2005

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/career/pilots.html

To fly for Air Canada, pilots must meet certain basic requirements:

1000 hours of fixed wing flying time
Completion of schooling to the university entrance level. Ability to pass the Air Canada and Transport Canada medical and visual acuity requirements for a Category 1 medical certificate.
Canadian Commercial Pilot licence, current Instrument Rating and Multi-Engine endorsement.
Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status.
Pilot applications far exceed job vacancies, so preference is given to candidates with qualifications beyond the basic requirements. Examples of desirable additional qualifications include, but are not limited to:

Canadian Airline Transport Pilot licence
University degree or college diploma
Aviation College diploma
Military or commercial flight experience
Jet and/or glass cockpit experience
Additional language(s)
Air Canada is currently interviewing candidates who meet these requirements. If you are interested in a career as an Air Canada pilot, please submit and maintain your profile using the link at the end of this document.

Lost in Saigon
20th Aug 2005, 05:17
The July 11, 2005 Air Canada course has a wide range of experience...

From as little as 4 years, to as much as 25 years flying experience..