PDA

View Full Version : U.K Flight Training what can I expect?

Icerman
27th Jul 2005, 21:48
I'm sure there are these kinds of topics coming up all the time. However as I couldn't search them by their name and couldn't come up with a keyword that would have worked on them I would like to ask your help.

I know about the school's rather interesting JAR Compliant licenses but how are they otherwise? Freelance instructors? Rented planes? I'm considering their training at Lancaster.

chopperpilot47
27th Jul 2005, 23:58

smith
29th Jul 2005, 09:02
Try www.ukft.com

Mike Cross
29th Jul 2005, 13:31
Some thoughts here (http://www.pfa.org.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000310)

Mike

Whopity
29th Jul 2005, 13:42
You can expect to get a FAA PPL!
Only a JAA licence is JAR Compliant!

SKYYACHT
29th Jul 2005, 16:00
Whopity.

Unless they have changed, Ajay Sinha the owner/CFI is a UK CAA Flight Examiner. If you go to UKFT, you will learn the UK syllabus, and will have the exercises that you complete noted in your logbook as they appear in the UK CAA PPL syllabus. Naturally, flying in US airspace means that the R/T that you use will be different, and to a degree non-compliant with how things will be when you get back here to fly in Europe.

When I last flew with UKFT they were based at Long Beach, and sub leased aircraft from LBFC down the road. Then they tied up with Rainbow Air cademy also at KLGB

You can expect aircraft to vary greatly - some will be tatty, with only essential instruments operative, and others will be in good nick. They will be a mixed bag, but that is the same here.

DO check what you are paying for in advance. Again that goes for any organisations.

Ajay does a lot of his own instructing, to the standards that he will expect you to demonstrate on the LSC - but you will also fly with US instructors, some of whom will not know the UK syllabus. This is not always an issue, as teaching a student to fly straight and level is not a JAR only requirement - The FAA are also rather keen on it too.

All in all, you will get what you pay for. Remember that the quoted price will be for the Minimum hours that you need. Remember too, that the Los Angeles Basin often gets Smogged in - sometimes until 1100 or 1200 every day, and this will eat into your available time for instruction.

However, the Catalina Island Check out, and the Museum at Chino are worth a trip. ALso Big Bear for mountain flying!

Good Luck

Mark