PDA

View Full Version : FAA Medical

ChewyTheWookie
27th Jul 2005, 14:51
Just a quick warning to anyone who is thinking of going to the USA to do flight training.

I am in Pennsylvania at the moment doing my PPL with UKFT and Advantage Aero (highly recommended by the way). I had about 15 hours in the book and my instructor was beginning to talk to me about my first solo. I mentioned I didn't yet have a FAA class 3 medical and would need to get one (it is included in the PPL package price). We organised for me to go to the local health centre where i got the shock of my life, I FAILED. Basically my eyesight is so poor in one eye that I was way short of requirements. I do not wear lenses and my other eye is perfect so I had never noticed how bad things were. Luckily I managed to get to a US version of Vision Express and get checked out and glasses made for me that evening.

My advice to anyone going to the USA for training is get the medical done before you go. It may cost a bit, but it's definitely worth it. Had I not been able to get things sorted I'd have been well and truely screwed and would have wasted about 3000GBP.

IO540
27th Jul 2005, 15:46
The medical and the written exams, definitely. And all possible paperwork.