PDA

View Full Version : Air Traffic Control Experience

Quango
27th Jul 2005, 14:18
Hi all

I am currently 16, and I have just completed my GCSEs. I hope and expect to do well enough in my exams to move on to A level study in the next academic year.

I would be very grateful to learn whether anyone knows of any organisation/control tower that has any weekend jobs or work experience available, in or around the berkshire area. The airfields close to me are White Waltham, Booker, Blackbushe. I am willing to go to Fairoaks as well.

I have a long-held interest in aviation, and am really interested in air traffic controlling, so much so, Iwould love to take it up as a possible career.

I am able, willing and enthusiastic and would be willing to turn my hand to virtually any job which they might have available.

Thank you for your help,

Q

Squadgy
27th Jul 2005, 14:25
Quango

Out of area, but have a look at http://www.bartonaerodrome.co.uk/community_workexperience.asp

Lots of places to stay nearby

flower
27th Jul 2005, 15:47
Quango,
i don't know of any contacts but would have thought a simple look through the phone book or even a trip along to the airfields may be of help.
I would suspect most of the work available to you at your age will be limited but they always enjoy having enthusiastic people around them.

Another idea is to join the Air Training Corp and get some flying experience in through the VGS, that way you will also get to see another aspect of the work which will definitely go well on your CV when you eventually apply.

The larger ATC units do not have any real work experience that we can offer you although many are happy to host visits by students

BOH
27th Jul 2005, 17:07
I just finished a Work Experience placement at Bournemouth, I just gave the airport an email and they invited me over, was booked about 9months in advance though. Just drop your local airport a line!

AlanM
27th Jul 2005, 20:52
Give Booker a call - they have ATC as opposed to AFISO so more akin to the job you want to do - but those other places are just as good and welcoming.

Have you tried writing a letter to a bigger unit such as Farnborough?