PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft weight limit for PPL pilots?

Aesir
27th Jul 2005, 02:39
Sorry if this has come up before in this forum, did a search and didnt find anything!

But is there a weight limit on aircraft that a PPL(A) pilot is allowed to fly under JAR-PPL regs?

The question keeps coming up and I seem to remember something about a 5700 kg aircraft weight limit but could be that was only applicable under the old national PPL regulations.

So, in theory could a PPL/IR pilot get licensed to fly for example an A-320 assuming of course he completes the type rating, MCC & HPA training and has the hours required?

average bloke
27th Jul 2005, 06:41
maybe you could start a group at your local airfield. with a 10th share costing about 10 million quid and unreal hourly running costs it should be a goer. need a long runway though! :D

FormationFlyer
27th Jul 2005, 09:48
The 5700kg weight limit still exists - its associated with the SEP class rating.

A PPL can get a type rating for any aircraft provided they meet the appropriate standard and qualifications.

3 Point
27th Jul 2005, 09:53
F Flyer

I'm surprised by your answer. I've never seen any weight limit published for an SEP aeroplane - can you tell me where to find it?

3 Point

DFC
27th Jul 2005, 10:39
There is no weight limitation on the SEP rating.

What class or type rating is required to fly a particular aircraft are currectly provided in Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.215.

An example of an SEP that does require a specific rating is the Piper Malibu.

So, in theory could a PPL/IR pilot get licensed to fly for example an A-320 assuming of course he completes the type rating, MCC & HPA training and has the hours required?

The simple answer is yes.

However in order to understand the operation of such an aircraft in all it's modes you would need to have demonstrated knowledge of subjects like Performance Planning, Aircraft systems etc at the appropriate level (CPL/ATPL) before being accepted onto a type rating course.

Thus I believe that to get an A320 rating added to a PPL/IR you would have to;

1. Pass the required technical exams at CPL/ATPL level.
2. Complete MCC
3. Complete type rating course
4. Pass the appropriate skill test.

Oh, and you will have to find some other person who will "cost share" on all of your flying because the aircraft requires 2 crew.

The aircraft also requires cabin crew (who in this case would have to work for free) if you are thinking of carrying any passengers.

Add to that the average landing and handling costs etc etc, you can see why even the rich operate their aircraft with commercial pilots e.g. john Travolta. At least then they can glean back some of the costs involved through sponsorship, advertising, promotional videos and in some cases having a crew operate the aircraft for hire while you lounge on your yacht in St. Tropez

Nice idea though.......let me know if you want some cheap part time instruction @ say £1500 per hour plus expenses. :D

On a serious note however, what people often forget when dreaming of being able to fly as a PPL is how can they continue after they get their licence. Try keeping up the required 3 take-off and landings per 90 days (for each pilot) in an A320. It's not cheap!

Regards,

DFC

PS. There will soon be an amendment to the JAR-FCL method of telling everyone what aircraft require what ratings. Go to www.jaa.nl for the proposed amendment.

Aesir
27th Jul 2005, 11:15
Thanks DFC

That´s what I looking for.

The A320 example was of course just theoretical rhetorical question.
The costs would of course be prohibitive but then again there are a lot of people that could afford to pay, but if I could afford to pay for A320 type rating and the also buy one then I would rather just hire a crew to fly me around, while sipping champagne in the back : )

ozplane
27th Jul 2005, 14:37
Didn't the Chief Designer (George Edwards) of Vickers-Armstrong turn up for his PPL Skills Test with the prototype Viscount? He passed as well. Mind you things were different in the 50's weren't they?

MLS-12D
27th Jul 2005, 16:00
See generally "737 Typed! — A GA Pilot Goes for a Boeing 737 Type Rating" (http://www.avweb.com/news/avtraining/182365-1.html).

P.S. For a less happy report, see "Modern Flight Training ... Isn't" (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182134-1.html).

QDMQDMQDM
27th Jul 2005, 16:12
I note the B737 type rating was prior to 9/11. Might be a touch tougher today....

FormationFlyer
28th Jul 2005, 09:08
Humble pie time. :O

[QUOTE]3 Point

I'm surprised by your answer. I've never seen any weight limit published for an SEP aeroplane - can you tell me where to find it?[QUOTE]

er. ah. caught well and truely. It used to be there under the old rules. It appears to have been removed...Im suprised at how I missed that one...

Thanks for point it out. Knowledge duly updated to current legislation!

Cheers.:ok: