PDA

View Full Version : Leasing Group Aircraft

2close
26th Jul 2005, 23:24
I'm not sure if this is in the right place but it seemed the best place to start, hopefully to get some learned pointers in the right direction.

Can a group owned aircraft be legally leased out by the group to other persons not being group members, assuming the aircraft is on a PT CofA and is insured for any qualified pilot to fly it, or would that be starting to creep into the realms of AOC holders?

If the simple answer to this is yes, it can be leased, what are the liability pitfalls and does anyone know of any instances where it has gone seriously pear-shaped?

I'd be grateful for any info on this.

Cheers,

2close

IO540
27th Jul 2005, 12:38
The answer is YES.

The need for an AOC, or (lower down the scale) whether the flight is even Aerial Work, is according to what the aircraft is actually doing.

Whether it is flown by an owner, by a part-owner, by a Director or a ltd co that owns it, or by somebody who has rented or leased it, has no bearing on this.

The above is true for G, for N or for anything else, to the best of my knowledge.

The ANO does not prohibit renting, other than in the G-reg context where a Transport CofA is required.

I've heard suggestions that leasing amounts to a transfer of ownership for the duration of the lease (enabling a Private CofA plane to be "rented" to somebody) but I think that's nonsense.

I have no references for the above, but have made enquiries in the proper places.

2close
27th Jul 2005, 20:00
Many thanks IO540,

Much appreciated.

2close