PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff Happenings

bycrewlgw
25th Jul 2005, 14:38
Hey guys was just wondering if we could have a dedicated topic for CWL happenings - every other airport has one yet CWL's posts seem to be scattered everywhere! I know someone will write 'whats the point? nothing ever happens there! hehehe!' but still think it will be good!

Summer 2006 looks up for CWL with new Kosmar flights to

KGS - Sat 2100 - 0600 (Sun)
EFL - Sun 1540 - 2330
ZTH - Sun 0500 - 1330
CFU - Mon 0700 - 1435
Fri 1410 - 2140

All the above seem to be operated by UK based airlines. (no details on website www.kosmar.co.uk about operators but flight timings seem to suggest this) Anyone know which ones? I think the Fri CFU will be BY but not sure. The weekly HER on a fri is still going to operate too.

BYCREWLGW

GrahamK
25th Jul 2005, 15:09
Probably Excel Airways I would think...just have to hope CWL doesnt get those 737-400s that have caused havoc at NCL and BRS this summer :suspect:

MerchantVenturer
25th Jul 2005, 16:05
There was a news item on the CWL website earlier in the year about a weekly incoming flight from Zurich this summer bringing Swiss tourists to Wales?

Anyone know how successful it is? Who is the operator and what is the equipment used?

Any more news on the FR base rumours?

GrahamK
25th Jul 2005, 16:09
MV, I believe the flights were/are operated by Swiss International Avro RJ100s.

bycrewlgw
25th Jul 2005, 16:55
Yeah its operated by Swiss on a Avro RJ100 - there are only 4 departures hopefully they are just 'testing the water' in order to launch a full programme next year (just speculating). Flight details are as follows:

LX9036
ZRH - CWL
0800 - 0915

LX9037
CWL - ZRH
0950 - 1505

All times local.

First departure from ZRH is on the 31st of JUL and the last returning on the 21st AUG.

Details are taken from www.travel-house.ch/falcontravel all in german though - easy to work out for non-german speakers!!

BYCREWLGW

On standby
25th Jul 2005, 19:20
RJ100 in Swiss colours landed yesterday.

With Thomson adding a 737-800, Baby getting its third aircraft back and Excel coming. CWL is going to be busier next summer.

Fernando_Covas
25th Jul 2005, 19:47
First thing they need to do is build a new more modern terminal. I passed through a few weeks back and the place is in dire need of an update.

Cardiff has some serious potential but they need the facilities first.

WindSheer
25th Jul 2005, 20:11
Dont forget BY's plans next summer at CWL.. I believe it will be two 767's initially, one for the short and one for longhaul. Can someone from BY confirm this??

I will be interested in where the bloody hell all these a/c are going to park?? Bearing in mind the zoom will be in and out along with travel city, and the third WW a/c!!!!
If the babies occupy their usual stands, with a BY, an MYT and an FCA on the bridges that means they have to find space for the other 76', along with the excel 73' all within reasonable distance of the terminal.

Could be fun!!
Opinions??

stalling attitude
25th Jul 2005, 20:12
there are two new rumours that are alleged to have come out of a meeting held last week i believe.
The first is that BA ( CX? ) are looking to put Dash 8's back in to Cardiff to set up the base that they closed a couple of years ago. The second rumour is that Easyjet have approached the airport with a view to nightstopping 2 aircraft at CWL which i guess would mean W patterns out of BRS.
I'm not 100% convinced about either but thats apparently what was discussed.

bycrewlgw
25th Jul 2005, 20:59
Have heard may just be Galley FM that the usual 767-200 will do the short haul along with the 757-200 and a new 737 (not sure which model). The additional 767-300 for the longhaul will just visit CWL 3 times a week to operate the CUN, SFB and POP flights.

Have also heard that XL will use a 767 on the SFB for Travel City instead of the 747-300. The XL aircraft will be a 737-800 (well reported as being anyway!). BRS supporters don't seem to be too happy at that! LOL! Will this aircraft be based at CWL or just positioning into CWL for the flights?

I would not be surprised if BA did create a base at CWL again. They made a big mistake at pulling out of the capital, which now they've realised! Routes are desperatly needed from the welsh capital but at the right price (as 6G found out on the £300 return to BRU!!!).

Not too sure about the EZY rumour. Would be good in a way! Give WW and FR a good proverbial kick up the backside!!!

CWL did draw up plans for a new terminal inbetween the current terminal and BAMC. The security hut would be moved along with the car parks. Details were available at Barry Docks and somewhere online (I will find the link and get back to you!!!). These plans however seemed to disappear after 09/11 - hopefully they'll consider a new terminal soon!!! Think its long overdue!!!

BYCREWLGW

flower
25th Jul 2005, 21:39
The old domestic pier is being demolished over the Winter. Stand 1 currently open parking is to become 6 new nose in stands with signature apparently moving down to the bottom of taxiway E with GA then being parked on taxiway E not the current stand 1.
There is ample room for more stands should demand exceed supply, the whole of the grass area between the current stand 1 and taxiway E could be concreted over giving multiple parking arrangements.

The legal notices have just been issued regarding upgrading the road link to the airport with 5 mile lane being made into a trunk road from its current basically country road status.

The plans for a new terminal were drawn up some time ago but it is a bit of a chicken and an egg scenario regarding the building of it, we are told that passenger figures need to increase quite substantially for it to happen, but I have also heard( purely a rumour this part) that the airlines are demanding the new terminal as part of operating out of Cardiff.

There is enormous potential to tap and there is room should it ever be needed to further lengthen the runway.

Rumours regarding airlines are rife at the moment, if only half of them come true then we are in for a healthy future.

MerchantVenturer
25th Jul 2005, 21:48
See part of the original announcement on the CWL website re Tui/Thomsonfly below.

Pioneering airline, Thomsonfly (previously Britannia Airways), has announced a major development of its base at Cardiff International Airport.

The development includes new long-haul and extra European destinations, which will increase Thomsonfly's year round capacity at Cardiff by more than 50%, amounting to over half a million passengers per year.

The plan also calls for extra Thomsonfly aircraft to be based at Cardiff.

The airline's new programme for summer 2006 features direct long haul flights to Cancun in Mexico and Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, both of which are a first for Wales and the West Country.

In addition, Thomsonfly will be adding a flight to Orlando Sanford in Florida, increasing the number of Cardiff International's weekly Orlando flights from two to three.

These new long-haul routes will be flown by a Boeing 767-300 series aircraft, configured with Thomsonfly's 315 seat two class premium cabin. The aircraft will be based in Cardiff three days per week.

Meanwhile, Thomsonfly is adding new European destinations and increasing the frequency of its existing services from Cardiff by supplementing the existing Boeing 757 (235 seats) with a Cardiff-based Boeing 737-800 (189 seats) from next summer.

New destinations beginning in summer 2006 include Monastir (Tunisia), Bourgas and Varna (Bulgaria), and Crete (Greece), while frequencies to Malaga, Alicante, Palma, and Tenerife will be increased. New Thomsonfly destinations from Cardiff are also planned for the winter.

As I read it this gives a based 757 and a based 738 plus a part-based 767-300 for the long haul.

As for Excel, Humberside is also getting a new base for this airline from next summer and they have been told they will be getting a 738 as well.

Perhaps that is Excel's policy - a 738 for the first summer then perhaps something else, like an Islandsflug 734. :{ That's what happend to NCL and BRS, although as far as BRS is concerned an Air Malta 320 was added as a second based unit so that at least half the programme has something decent.

WATABENCH
26th Jul 2005, 01:24
EZY night stopping 2 a/c? - Your haveing a laugh aint you?
BA rumour, i heard that over here, but speaking to friends of mine BACX crew they haven't heard a thing and say they cant see it happening.
Nice to see CWL finally getting a bit of luck, been in decline to long.
Are the EK-DXB and Air Wales-JFK rumours still going round or have they fizzled to nothing.
As for parking, Dont forget everyone thought BRS was going to have parking issues with 8 EZYs, 5 BA, 2 FCA, 1 BY, 1MYT, 1 KL, 1 SN,1 KM,1 XLA etc etc plus visitors but there has been no probs at all, I'm sure parking wont be a prob, just not everyone will get an airbridge, share and share alike people!

ALLMCC
26th Jul 2005, 08:05
Quote "first thing they need to do is build a new more modern terminal" - wouldn't hold your breath there considering who owns it!

Take a look at BFS (owned by the very same) and you'll see what I mean - now over 40 and gradually disintegrating!

fly_guy_021
26th Jul 2005, 08:36
Hi guys, I am cc for by out of cwl and thought I'd confirm what we're doing next year.

There will be a 757, 737-800 and a 767-300 based at cwl as from may.

Plan is, although we are all still in the dark about it, 75 doing the greece, bulgaria, canaries and cyprus runs. 73 doing all the spanish routes and the 763 will be based there 3 days of the week doing pop,cun and sfb.this 763 is going to be shared with doncaster.

hope this helps.

WindSheer
26th Jul 2005, 14:59
It about time this started happening!!
CWL desperately need to pull back all the welsh passengers that are travelling to BRS, BHX and LGW. I live in the heart of the valley's, and its amazing how many of my family and friends fly out of england. Certainly not through choice, its purely because they can't get the flights out of CWL.

EZY certainly would put the fright's up BMI, cant see it happening though!
CWL need to decide quick what they are going to do about the terminal. They are doing a grand job of the gradual re-furb, but whats the point of putting money into that if a new one is to be built. I think they should just expand westwards off what they already have, which they probably will end up doing.

Bring it on BRS, stop stealing the welsh!!

Richard Taylor
26th Jul 2005, 15:18
Hi guys.

Are 6G scaling back their ABZ flights?

They started at twice daily M-F & a Su flight.

Now they seem to be once daily M-F(am on M,Th;pm Tu,W,F).No Su flight anymore.

How are 6G doing on this route ?

flower
26th Jul 2005, 16:04
CWL could do with taking a leaf out of BRS book, they turned around a small airport and have made it into a success.

Yes the terminal issue is an interesting one, having seen the outline plans for the proposed new terminal it is fantastic with 40 plus stands available. Again CWL would be wise to look at how other airport companies work, BAA and their shopping facilities brings in huge amounts of revenue and also gives something for the passengers to do whilst they wait for flights.

The actual terminal is not as bad as some would make out, it has been under constant refurbishment for the 5 years i have been here. I have been to a number of regional airports and think the facilities equal those of any of them, although it would be nice if Airside passengers could see the runway etc.
I think many of us hoped with the buyout of TBI by a Spanish Construction company that there would be huge investment and the new terminal, it doesn't however seem to be any nearer now than it was a year ago.

MerchantVenturer
26th Jul 2005, 16:26
Windsheer

The last figures I saw suggested that in percentage terms both BRS and CWL take about 10% of their overall passenger numbers from the other's 'territory'.

So I don't think it is a case of BRS grabbing Welsh pax anymore than it is of CWL grabbing English ones.

There is a certain overlap in the two airports' catchment areas and to an extent they provide a complementary service for all airline travellers in South Wales/West of England.

For instance, I was talking to someone from Bristol the other day who is taking her family to Toronto from CWL with Zoom because no flight exists from BRS.

WindSheer
26th Jul 2005, 18:30
Hello Merchant.

I don't care what the figures say - they are complete and utter noncense!! I work frequently at both.
The majority of pax travelling through CWL are Welsh, I agree that around 10% of them are from over the bridge.
BRS is slightly different. In the summer the figure maybe close to 10%, but I feel it is more 20! In the winter however, the welsh travelling through BRS must equate to around 40% - there are hundreds and hundreds of them over there. Why? Because CWL seem to hang up their gloves for the winter!!

This is obviously nothing to do with the airports concerned, and solely down to the tour operators and airlines.
FCA is a prime example. In the winter they send their CWL a/c to EXT along with its crew! What the hell is that all about!!
BMI cut right back also, rather than re-structuring their route network!

Anyway, back to the point! Bring on the 40 plus stands, and the jobs to go with them!!

MerchantVenturer
26th Jul 2005, 19:23
WindSheer

As a pax I take a different view to the football supporter type of rhetoric some trot out in support of 'their' airport, and I don't mean you. But if you go to some threads re other UK airports you would be forgiven for thinking that airports are supported as passionately as the local football team.

I look upon airports as a facility for the public, a means of employment for many and an engine/mirror of the local economy or economies.

If I want to fly somewhere I will probably go to the nearest airport if the flight, price and timings are suitable. If not, I will look somewhere else and whether it is in Wales, the Midlands or London is of secondary importance to me.

Living in the Bristol/Cardiff region gives a passenger quite a choice. Apart from the airports serving these cities there are also BHX and LHR plus, especially for Bristol area people, EXT and even SOU.

My son often uses BHX for business, even though he lives in Bristol (he also flies frequently from there), because even though a flight to the detination he wants might be available from BRS the flight times can sometimes be inconvenient for him.

My Bristol neighbours regularly take their main summer holiday in the Spanish Costas but for the last four years have used CWL because the day/flight time suits them better than the one/s from BRS.

That is why I contend that as a customer I regard the Severnside airports (and beyond) as a complementary pool, and I am ready to take advantage of what suits me best on a particular occasion. Might that not also be the case with some Welsh travellers using BRS?

Finally, I'm sure you can answer this. How many stands has CWL currently got and how many could realistically be provided in the future? Thanks in advance for answer.

flower
26th Jul 2005, 21:48
Currently we have 10 dedicated stands plus Stand 1 where we are able to park several aircraft on at a time, three stands have air bridges. Additional parking space is available on taxiway E.
The new layout will allow for 6 more dedicated nose in stands, however the sky really is the limit for potential stands as i have previously mentioned. We have vast areas of grass which could be concreted over and made into stands plus the disused runway currently used as taxiways and additional parking during events.
MerchantVenturer I agree with you about the complimentary airports, if we can't get a flight from Cardiff then we tend to look to Bristol first. There is no doubt though that everyone would prefer to fly from the airport most local to them. For me to fly from Cardiff means a 20 minute Journey, to fly from Bristol about a 90 minute journey.

Wee Weasley Welshman
26th Jul 2005, 23:24
Look its not hard. BRS sits in an area of significantly higher GDP then CWL. It therefore supports a significantly higher flying programme. Nothing to do with the terminal, the runway, the operators, the car parks or the national soil.

Cardiff is further hampered by the interference of the Welsh Assembly and their tax supported ilk who continue to dabble in economic affairs. They perverted reality to get the likes of the massive Sony and LG investments in South Wales which are now closed/closing. So they pervert the natural order by subsidising certain airlines and routes out of CWL which should never have been and never will flourish.

Thatcherism works. Nobody 'funded' Go/easyJet moving into BRS other than the banks and management. Here it is 4 years later as a runaway success.

Just shows.

Cheers

flower
27th Jul 2005, 07:00
they pervert the natural order by subsidising certain airlines and routes out of CWL which should never have been and never will flourish.

Perhaps you would like to tell us whom the Welsh assembly fund and which routes instead of just spreading rumours you are unable to substantiate, Everyone else is on about how at last CWL is getting itself together , shame someone has to be so negative.
There is talk about the WAG funding a North South Wales service which has been utterly dismissed by people around here.

On standby
27th Jul 2005, 10:10
There are too many groups with a hand in the pot in Wales.

You have Britsih Government, Welsh Assembly, Welsh Development Agency & then City Council/County Councils. No one can get things done because they all want their say before anything gets done!

I believe that Baby do have some incentive from either the Assembly or WDA to run some of their routes.

flower
27th Jul 2005, 11:05
Checked this out from the WAG ;

Andrew Davies: The main role of the Welsh Assembly Government and its agencies is to support TBI plc and Cardiff International Airport in making the case for Bmibaby to locate in Wales. The only financial assistance offered to the airline was for training, as allowed under European Commission and state aid rules.

The Wales Tourist Board will have an additional £841,000 for marketing initiatives to capitalise on new Bmibaby routes during 2002-04. This includes funding for the livery of one of Bmibaby’s Boeing 737s to promote the branding of Wales by carrying the Wales World Nation logo and the Wales Tourist Board’s web site address. That deal was secured on a purely commercial basis. There is no subsidy, underwriting or plan to recoup passenger revenues for this Bmibaby operation in Wales.

I have also checked to see if any other airlines were paid subsidies under their public accounting and found nothing.

pipertommy
27th Jul 2005, 12:17
The plans i`ve heard are that the domestic pier will come down to make room for a/c parking,grass between std 1 and echo will will not be completely concreted (about 20m will be used).The front of the terminal front will be extended out to be level with arrivals entrance(reasonable distance) the info desk will be moved down stairs and massive upstairs toilets will be scaled down to make more room.There were/are plans for a joint "emergancy response centre" for the police who will be relocated from the old pier and the AFRS who need a new station!A walkway of some sorts will also have to be created for pax to move between departure lounge and new parking area,this will be linked in with the bottom of international pier`s lower section being gutted out so this part will be open for pax to dep/arrive from.BUT this has not been approved!down to funding the money i guess.fingers crossed

flower
27th Jul 2005, 15:13
Yes I had also heard about the partial concreting of the grass area Piper Tommy, I have also heard that access to the new stands for pax may be via a new route past Burger King , however i would have thought a ground level covered walkway would make more sense as you say.

TBI are spending a lot of money at the moment on the place and new elevators have been going in over the summer.

Are there plans for a new Fire Station ? would make sense after the money they spent on you these last couple of years :hmm:

Fernando_Covas
27th Jul 2005, 17:05
CAT III wouldn't go a miss either. After all, Cardiff isn't immune to the odd bank of fog. Save some airlines deciding on BRS because they know they can get in.

flower
27th Jul 2005, 17:47
Yep agree on the lighting, missed opportunity when they resurfaced the runway this last year. The ILS is I understand already Cat 3 compliant the runway lighting however isn't.

No_Speed_Restriction
27th Jul 2005, 20:03
How about lowering the price of sandwiches on the 1st floor.:(

Fernando_Covas
27th Jul 2005, 21:57
the runway lighting however isn't.

That bloody big tree still blocking some of the lighting on 30 end?

WindSheer
28th Jul 2005, 19:06
Evening gents.

Are they really going to extend the front of the terminal outwards??
I assume it would start from the side of the new lifts, otherwise what a waste of money! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I was talking to a couple of pilots last year re: CAT111 at CWL, their opinion was that they could not go for it because of the high ground to the NW. Sounds nonsense to me?
Runway lighting is never CAT111 standard on any runway until until you decide to get it installed. BRS is a good example with CAT111 on the one runway only. The lighting is different both ends, as CAT111 standard lighting on 09 would be a waste of dollar!

Anyway, I think they should build one huge airport in the severn - Hong Kong style! Put welsh and english staff in there to run the thing!

:sad:

CWL_Chris
29th Jul 2005, 09:16
Morning everyone,

I have to be honest, I find Cardiff's terminal quite pleasant. Granted, it needs a bit of a refurbishment here and there and in fairness the owners are doing a good job with the refurbishment.

The arrivals looks much better than it used to. What the terminal needs is a better departure lounge with a wider selection of shops and seating areas. The area by the KLM Lounge could do with a bit more there. Why not place 2/3 retail units there. For example; A boot's style store, clothing shop and maybe a fast food unit such as Mc Donalds.

I believe that they must also replace the horrible wood and metal paneling with glass or other see through material to give the passengers a view of the runway and the aircraft. Why not re-open the viewing area? I am sure that they could place one or two security personell there or maybe an armed police man or two.

As for the new routes...

I believe that the Zoom service to Toronto will continue to do well and I believe the new Vancouver route will do just as well and possibly allow further expansion of routes to Canada from CWL.

Excel Airways is bound to have a major impact on pax figures for CWL and also provide passengers with an alternative to BMIbaby and also a wider range of destinations.

The new Thomson routes should go down well... they normally do! However, I think CWL could do with a service to the USA. I guess that is out of the question for now with CO at BRS.

Is there any news on the EK rumor? I know that Air Wales are looking at re-operating BRU and opening another destination. By the way the routes Air Wales operate on behalf of BMIbaby are now on Air Wales' booking system.

Regards,
Chris

skyman771
29th Jul 2005, 13:11
Why not re-open the viewing area? I am sure that they could place one or two security personell there or maybe an armed police man or two.
Do you really believe this?
Not withstanding any security directives currently in place, could the cost be justified ?

flower
29th Jul 2005, 16:20
They use the third floor now for a myriad of different uses so I am not even sure if there is easy access to the old viewing area. It is a shame it closed, I always thought the airport could have made more money by placing a coffee shop up there, especially in the summer it always used to be packed.

On standby
29th Jul 2005, 21:56
I believe that CAT3 ps are out of the question due to the severe inclines at both ends of the runway. Just like 09 at BRS. Don't want to "terrain terrain pull up" on the approach!

Can't see the Airport stumping up any additional costs to open the viewing gallery.

pipertommy
29th Jul 2005, 22:38
They do have plans for a new fire station but can`t see it happening in the near future(year or two),money could be spent on the terminal side rather than non productive investment`s.Which i guess i fair enough if it means a busier airport:O

TwinAisle
30th Jul 2005, 04:40
By the way the routes Air Wales operate on behalf of BMIbaby are now on Air Wales' booking system.

I'm not sure they are, you know. They seem to have loaded BFS and CDG into the web front end, but there is no inventory loaded that I can find.

Actually allowing 6G to sell WW inventory is not as easy as you'd think, either technically (they'll need to spend some quite serious money to do it properly) or commercially (how do you lock inventory in a live environment? How do you ensure that one site won't cannibalise yield? Why would WW want to do this when their web traffic is MASSIVELY higher than 6G's, and allowing 6G to sell - as a puppet operation, since they should not be allowed to set their own fares - would add very little if anything to the sales channel)?

I think this is a case of 6G wishful thinking.... was certainly not part of the thinking behind the agreement, I can tell you.

TA smells bulls**t and a shambles coming up....

Stone Cold
30th Jul 2005, 13:06
If you try and book a flight from CWL to ORK on the Air Wales website a icon will appear and tell you to go to directly to Bmibaby website to book the flight.

No_Speed_Restriction
30th Jul 2005, 16:43
stone cold, whats new with you?

are they working your orange a$$ off?:E

Stone Cold
30th Jul 2005, 21:31
My arse is not fully orange yet, still has some shades of red and bite marks from the senior dragon!:E

Totally different airline at BRS, I have been based in BRS for some 13 days and have only worked 3 days, keep it it coming. :cool:

flower
31st Jul 2005, 09:55
I have been based in BRS for some 13 days and have only worked 3 days,

And so far I have managed to miss everyone of them :p

Stone Cold
31st Jul 2005, 11:15
Might speak to you tomorrow flower, I've just had 2 days off, I'm on standby today and tomorrow I'm going down to FAO late in the afternoon so if I don't speak to you then maybe i will on Tuesday afternoon. But after working for 2 days I then get 6 days off.

I now know what it feels like to be like the flower, who is always off from work!:E

flower
31st Jul 2005, 11:29
No direct routing for you then Stone Cold :8
Nah on mornings for next two days so will miss you again, perhaps we shall see you at the Cardiff blast.

Flower who is doing everything she can to avoid Stone Cold on the RT ;)

Now back to CWL

bycrewlgw
1st Aug 2005, 22:23
Hey guys anyone heard if CWL have published their master plan following the white paper yet? Would be interesting to see what the new owners have in store for the airport.

Also do you guys think that the airport could support another LOCO operator, Charter and full fare scheduled operator ?

BYCREWLGW

PhilM
2nd Aug 2005, 06:44
Anyone know what the site work is for?, going on down the end of the carparks towards BAMC?

Fernando_Covas
2nd Aug 2005, 07:16
Last time I saw a build up of heavy plant like that it was to resurface the runway.

CWL_Chris
3rd Aug 2005, 07:47
The only infromation that I have about another Low Cost Operator opening a base at CWL is that Ryanair are looking at making the airport a base within the next 2 years. There was also some news a while back that Thomson Fly (LOCO) were looking at CWL as well as Jet2.

CWL could sustain a "real" LOCO that offered routes to varied destinations but at a decent frequency. Unlike BMIbaby who seem to have gone off the rails.

Is there much chance of Whizz or another Eastern European carrier starting a route to CWL. The reason I say this is that there seem to be a hell of a lot of Polish citizens working "legally" in the South Wales & South West area.

Regards,
Chris

jetstream7
3rd Aug 2005, 10:02
The only infromation that I have about another Low Cost Operator opening a base at CWL is that Ryanair are looking at making the airport a base within the next 2 years. There was also some news a while back that Thomson Fly (LOCO) were looking at CWL as well as Jet2.
Not news, not even rumours, certainly not information - you're only recycling what has either been posted on PPRuNe or elsewhere previously.

CWL could sustain a "real" LOCO that offered routes to varied destinations but at a decent frequency.
No. easyJet have got the market nicely sewn up through BRS. All that is available to CWL are the crumbs from the table...

...Unlike BMIbaby who seem to have gone off the rails.
No. bmiBaby have got their services in line with what customers want, and with how many customers there are.

Is there much chance of Whizz or another Eastern European carrier starting a route to CWL. The reason I say this is that there seem to be a hell of a lot of Polish citizens working "legally" in the South Wales & South West area.
Why do you write "legally" - what are you inferring here...? Before you answer remember that Poland is a member of the EU and make sure you have a full understanding of the Accession Treaty, and any bilateral agreements between the UK and Poland.

teifiboy
3rd Aug 2005, 12:01
You have just taken apart nearly everything poor old CWL_Chris had to say. He will learn from being foolish enough to express an opinion.

Mind you I would love a full explanation of the Accession Treaty... or maybe not

flower
3rd Aug 2005, 12:10
Chris CWL
The Ryanair rumour has been around for a long time but to be honest i think it will remain just a rumour.
The Thomson Loco one however is i understand coming to fruition next year, especially with comments already made here by Thomson fly workers.
Can we sustain more flights? absolutely we can. Although there may be those who dash Cardiff at every opportunity there is huge potential. We are constantly fed the lines that there is no money in Wales, bu that is probably from those who haven't visited here in a long time and haven't seen what has happened around here. Although we may not have the same catchment areas as some airports we still have a huge market which could be captured.

I think to say we have the crumbs is a little bit of an exaggeration but it is an opinion some always have of anything to do with CWL and Wales in general.

NCLRULES
3rd Aug 2005, 12:40
Cardiff airport is classed as a future base for FR according to page 9 of this presentation:
http://www.ryanair.com/site/about/invest/docs/240205boeing.pdf

I'm not sure how 100% true this is, or if this is definately correct. There's a discussion going on in the Bristol topic that FR are to base there, so maybe the Cardiff base plan has been dropped and BRS is being considered instead.

MerchantVenturer
3rd Aug 2005, 13:04
NCLRULES

I don't think there is any more basis to FR basing at BRS than at CWL. It is all conjecture/wish list etc. I wonder if FR wouldn't be more likely to fly into CWL and/or BRS from one or more of their European bases rather than base a/c at the Severnside airport (s). They seem to be testing this water with the new SNN-BRS route.

flower

I haven't read the Tui timetables for next year but I seem to remember reading on this MB a few weeks ago that the Thomsonfly (why have they given up that respected Britannia name?) a/c based at CWL next summer (a 757, 738 and 763 for the long haul) were flying almost a daily timetable to one or more of the Costas and/or Balearics as part of their roster.

Is the time coming when Thomsonfly 'inclusive tour/charter' and Thomsonfly 'low cost' become one?

And of course there is also Excel starting at CWL next summer with seat-only offers seemingly a big part of its business.

ALLMCC
3rd Aug 2005, 13:42
NCL RULES

Interesting presentation - couldn't help noticing what appears to be Belfast also on the future growth map - very unlikely that will ever happen due to the almost omnipotent presence of a certain other loco at BFS unless, of course, BHD would be considered.

jetstream7
3rd Aug 2005, 15:17
You have just taken apart nearly everything poor old CWL_Chris had to say. He will learn from being foolish enough to express an opinion. Teifiboy... get back to your coracle... :) More to the point this is a forum, 'a public meeting place for open discussion' and this what we're doing - Chris is welcome to express his opinion any time and I'm entitled to my opinion as much as he is - and there is no requirement to agree

I think to say we have the crumbs is a little bit of an exaggeration but it is an opinion some always have of anything to do with CWL and Wales in general. Got to be realistic Flower... this is the situation that CWL is now faced with. easyJet have done a fantastic job at BRS - they got in first and built a great business there. If CWL had managed to secure a LCC before BRS then the situation may have been different.

I'm not a naysayer when it comes to CWL - I live 15 minutes from the airport and wish there was a larger choice of flights, but easyJet have got the South West (and I include South Wales in this) market covered through BRS and that's where I need to travel from.
If there were to be more destinations from CWL I'd want to know that a long term proposition was on the cards - the worst possible situation would be to see someone arrive and then disappear within a couple of years as a result of ill chosen, poorly researched destinations - having in the meantime destroyed the existing CWL operators..

CWL_Chris
3rd Aug 2005, 19:03
Jet Stream,

All that I was doing was expressing my opinion and you did exactly the same. However, there has been speculation not just on this website but also from people working for the respected airlines.

As you can see from the map of "possible" FR routes, it looks to me that CWL could be in line to become a base for Ryanair.

As you may know, some citizens from Poland are allowed to work in the UK and other areas of the EU, however many I "think" have permits for.. 6, 12, 18 etc months. This means that some obviously do not renew them and work in the UK illegally.

Easy Jet have done a good job with the BRS operation, however CWL has other good points going for it that BRS does not have. As I am sure you also know, many Welsh people find that having to go to another country to fly a disappointment. I am one of them. Cardiff is the capital of Wales and is a major area for Business & Industry in the UK. To me the city, people and culture are far more in depth and interesting than the equivalent in BRS.

More airlines will come to CWL and more routes also.

Don't forget, CWL has just recently received good news with XL commencing operations next year.

Regards,
Chris

nema/robin hood
3rd Aug 2005, 19:40
Just to update you on the Polish worker theme. I work for the Civil Service & for the past 2 years, I have interviewed overseas workers here in the UK for National Insurance Number applications.

Poland has been an EU member since May 2004, therefore ANY polish national may live/work here in the UK with NO other restrictions other than applying to the Home Office for the Worker Registration Scheme costing £50.

After 12 months continuous employment here in the UK, that person will then have the right to apply for a Residence Permit exercising their EU treaty rights.

There is nothing ILLEGAL about EU residents working here - They have the same rights as UK nationals working anywhere in the EU.

CWL_Chris
3rd Aug 2005, 20:26
Talking of National Insurance Numbers.. I lost my card. Well, basically I lost my wallet on public transport and contacted the Inland Revenue who said that losing it is not a problem as if someone starts using it they'll only contribute to my pension and will soon be found out. Is this correct?

Regards,
Chris

Turn It Off
3rd Aug 2005, 22:28
Anyone know what the site work is for?, going on down the end of the carparks towards BAMC?

If it is the worksite I think you are referring to, ( at the northern end of the disused runway), then it has been there since about november and was the base for the runway resurfacing project carried out over the winter - It finished about easter sometime.

pamann
3rd Aug 2005, 23:52
easyJet have done a fantastic job at BRS - they got in first and built a great business there

Thanks to GO actually!

jetstream7
4th Aug 2005, 09:11
Pamann

Of course.

In fact perhaps thanks to the passengers in the South West who have embraced the Go / easyJet operation @ BRS and through their patronage made it a success.

Unfortunately not the same for CWL / bmiBaby. Capacity scaled back and little growth around routes.

Why should this be?

Chris, thanks for your considered response: a couple of questions about what you wrote:

What do you perceive as the good points that CWL has to offer that BRS doesn't?

Is the fact that Cardiff is a capital city a good enough justification for the introduction of new flights, and what business and industries do you see supporting 'more airlines... and more routes'?

You've mentioned Ryanair, what are the other airlines and routes do you envisage coming to CWL?

Given the big increase in bucket and spade flights from CWL next year with Thomsonfly's additional flights and Excel's basing of an aircraft, is there a sufficient market out there to fill these flights and what do you base this opinion on?

WATABENCH
4th Sep 2005, 23:09
Why is nobody posting on this thread, everyone over the bridge seems to start a thread and not keep it going, there must be sumet happening over there even if it is just a sheep straying onto the runway!
C'mon more CWL post please, let us bristolians know if we gota worry about anything!

flower
5th Sep 2005, 05:37
They are re-laying the paving outside the Control Tower Building :O .

Haven't heard anything else yet so can't really say anything more.
All the same facts and rumours still exist.

CWL_Chris
5th Sep 2005, 10:09
Just doing my daily browse at the Icwales website and I came across this;

LOSS-MAKING Air Wales has recorded its highest-ever passenger numbers.

The airline, owned by successful Swansea-based property tycoon Roy Thomas, said it is now flying more passengers than at any other time in its six-year history.

Air Wales carried more than 31,000 passengers in July, 5,000 more than in June - and an increase of 145% on July last year.

Mr Thomas said many of the airline's services were now flying at full load, with strong advance bookings through its Swansea-based call centre.

The airline attributed the rise in passengers to the popularity of its new routes from Cardiff International Airport to Paris and Jersey - which it runs in partnership with low-cost airline BMIbaby.

As well as its expanding destination offer, Air Wales said its increasing passenger numbers were a result of improved customer service.

Chairman Mr Thomas said, "The latest passenger numbers are extremely encouraging and reflect the reliability and sustainability of Air Wales in a growing and competitive market.

"We are pleased with the development of our flagship routes including the success of our twice daily, long-awaited Paris service which is currently performing beyond all expectations.

"Over the past year, as well as launching a new portfolio of flights, we have finely tuned our customer service strategy to ensure we continue to deliver an outstanding service.

"The airline industry is a tough one to be in - delays and cancellations are often out of our control. However, despite that, Air Wales has achieved a time and cancellation record which is second to none with figures way above the industry average.

"This has been an outstanding year for Air Wales and we look forward with confidence to further strong growth over the coming months."

However, the company is operating in the red. Its latest full-year accounts submitted to Companies House (to March 31, 2004) reveal it incurred pre-tax losses of just more than £9m, compared to £4.48m in 2003.

In the accounts Air Wales, in which Mr Thomas has a 98.5% equity stake, said the losses were "due to the continuing high levels of start up costs associated with the development of new routes".

The directors of the airline, which employs about 100 people, said they were confident that the company's trading position would improve.

During the year directors provided additional loan funding of just more than £3m.

However, the accounts show that revenues during the year improved from £2.7m to £5.9m

Welsh aviation expert Martin Evans said, "We should be very grateful that a private individual [Roy Thomas] is prepared to provide funding for Wales to have its own airline.

"However, the time has now come for Air Wales to draw up a sustainable long-term business plan so that Roy doesn't have to keep funding the airline."

Air Wales' accounts to the end of March 2005, have yet to be filed with Companies House.

However a spokesman for the company yesterday said it "was not far off" moving into a profitable trading position. He also confirmed that the company was working on its next stage of expansion.

Air Wales flies to 11 destinations out of Cardiff - to Aberdeen, Belfast, Cork, Dublin, Glasgow Prestwick, Jersey, Liverpool, Newcastle, Norwich, Paris and Plymouth.

Looks like they are wanting to expand more..

Regards,
Chris

No_Speed_Restriction
6th Sep 2005, 07:43
Chris, I was the first person to sail across the world, fly non-stop around the world in a balloon, and the inventor of penicillin. Do you believe me as well???:yuk:

the latest member
6th Sep 2005, 21:48
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

How much truth is in the rumour that the CAA has refused to allow the addition of a new airframe?

Did you really invent penecillin? I thought that was Al Gore :D

No_Speed_Restriction
7th Sep 2005, 09:05
wasnt it tipper?

Fernando_Covas
7th Sep 2005, 10:02
Was watching boyo news last night and CWL are now a travel agent. www.cwlfly.com

CWL_Chris
7th Sep 2005, 16:06
I noticed the change to the website. What do you reckon to it?

Regards,
Chris

No_Speed_Restriction
7th Sep 2005, 19:29
How about spending less money on the website and more money on the rundown terminal; maybe pay for one or two new passenger buses.

Turn It Off
11th Sep 2005, 19:01
Don't know whether this is reliable / correct info or not.

Was chatting to somebody yesterday, who has a connection with Brittania. Apparantly the BY 767 is staying at Cardiff through the winter and the First Choice 320 will not reappear at Cardiff, even on rotation from exeter.

Brittania will be operating all the first choice routes.

The start of first choice withdrawing from the airfield? - I'm sure i read a rumour on here previously about this?

TIO

WindSheer
12th Sep 2005, 12:19
FCA will be doing the single TFS this winter, the same as last year (in a W with EXT).

Next summer will see the same programme, except being operated by skyservice. It will be one of FCA's 320's (AT or AS) re-registered as canadian, as has been happening for the past few years. Canadian flight deck, and welsh cabin crew (same as MYT).

Any other rumours??

CWL_Chris
12th Sep 2005, 19:27
FR7095 Murcia 19:45 Landed 19:53

I was just looking at CWL's website and saw this odd arrival into CWL from MJV. FR do no operate this route from CWL and the DUB route which FR do operate is being operated by another aircraft, so it is not as if this aircraft is arriving to operate the DUB flight.

Any ideas why it's at CWL?

Regards,
Chris

Turn It Off
12th Sep 2005, 19:53
Splash 'n' Dash

CWL_Chris
12th Sep 2005, 20:23
Whats that?

LOL?

flower
12th Sep 2005, 21:53
Refuelling pit stop Chris

CWL_Chris
13th Sep 2005, 15:52
Good news for CWL!
Thomson Fly.. (http://www.thomsonfly.com/en/index.html)
Four new routes launched!

AGP, ALC, IBZ, PMI..

Watch out BMIbaby..!

The frequencies are;

AGP - 5x Weekly
ALC - 4x Weekly
IBZ - 3x Weekly
PMI - 5x Weekly

Regards,
Chris

MerchantVenturer
13th Sep 2005, 18:35
It is certainly good news for CWL but these are the flights announced some time ago and included in the Tui summer 2006 brochures.

I am currently looking at the Portland Summer 2006 brochure which shows these flights.

It seems that they will be flown in the main by the 738 to be based at CWL next summer (along with the usual 757 plus a part of the week 763 for the transaltantics), and the Tui group appears to be using them both as a low cost airline and as vehicles for their inclusive tour holidays. A pretty sensible move in my view.

fly_guy_021
13th Sep 2005, 22:45
Hi guys

As i am cc for Tfly out of cwl, it has now been confirmed that it will be a 733 based there next year and not the 738 as previously mentioned.

PhilM
15th Sep 2005, 18:37
Here's some romours for you, appologies if they are repeated from previous pages, I haven't really got the time to go and check they are not posted already! ;)

International Pier - Apparently will be reworked, all of the engineering downstairs (Storm and Air Wales) will be moved out, so upstairs is the departure walkways, and downstairs will be walkways to arrivals.

Domestic Pier - Apparently to be demolished (due to asbestos), and in its place will be some "taxi on, taxi off" stands for the aircraft (Baby 737s etc).

All engineering will be moved up the top (I believe where the domestic aircraft park, by the security building) (First Choice, Storm etc - Air Wales to goto their hangar over the back).

Any thoughts on those? :ok:

No_Speed_Restriction
15th Sep 2005, 19:45
sorry mate, got distracted by the flying pig calling beacon outbound.:E

alterego
15th Sep 2005, 21:04
Not sure how often the 75/76 went to PMI/ALC/AGP/IBZ. But 225 seats as opposed to 147 means that a 733 would have to fly 4 rotations to match a 757s 3 rotations (Ish).

Not knowing this years Britannia schedule, I'm not sure how much extra capacity is actually happening?

PhilM
23rd Sep 2005, 20:04
Been a bit quiet here lately......we've been bored silly with the lack of romours this week!

Anyone know whats going on? There have been cameras at the airport at least twice this week, lots of managers and meetings....somethings afoot!

Oh, and there is always that program on last night (Week in Week out I believe), detailing just how abscent customs are at CWL and other Welsh points of entry to the UK (Ports etc also).

bycrewlgw
23rd Sep 2005, 22:35
I know its been mentioned before but the Vancouver flight is now on sale operating on a sat from CWL via BFS in both directions.
Total longhaul now brought up to 5. Cancun, Puerto Plata, Sanford, Toronto and Vancouver.

BYCREWLGW

Stone Cold
24th Sep 2005, 11:47
I have received some news direct from Excel and their Cardiff operation, but I will remain silent on that for the time being.

No_Speed_Restriction
24th Sep 2005, 13:58
Dont be shy, spread the word.

How you doin'?:ok:

Turn It Off
9th Oct 2005, 16:40
This from the website

A senior team from Cardiff International Airport, led by Managing Director, Jon Horne, held 17 private meetings to discuss a number of target routes, including destinations in France, Germany, and other European centres.

Does this smell like RyanAir to anyone else? The rumour has been bounded about for a long time, and it seems unlikely to be EasyJet with their base at Bristol.

Anyone know anything else?

Boss_Hogg
9th Oct 2005, 18:14
yep.....new routes are Frankfurt (proper), Dusseldorf, Milan (Linate), Nice, Barcelona and Madrid.

It ain't Ryanair.....and the equipment will be Canadair CRJ-200

Boss;)

10 DME ARC
9th Oct 2005, 19:18
Sorry for the reality check but that 'quote' is from the 'routes' get together in CPH the other week, most airports in the UK did exactly the same!
Always possible something may come out of it still though?

PPRuNe Pop
9th Oct 2005, 19:59
Now I suggest you read the stickies at the top of the page! This thread is closed.