PDA

View Full Version : A/G Radio Operator?

distaff_beancounter
23rd Jul 2005, 17:44
Can anyone tell me what experience, qualifications, training, licence, etc is required to act as a radio operator at a small GA airfield where the only service offered is A/G and not Information?

I know that I should really look it up on LASSORS or the CAA website, but I always find that like trying to swim through treacle, and I guess that many Ppruners on this forum are involved in running small airfields.

Many thanks for any help :)

S-Works
23rd Jul 2005, 17:48
apply for the licence from the CAA. get it signed by the station operator and have some one give you some CAP413 and local training.

I do the Leics radio on a regular shift.

bar shaker
23rd Jul 2005, 17:54
db

As bose x says, all you need is a standard RT licence and then get a certificate from the CAA.

distaff_beancounter
23rd Jul 2005, 17:58
bose-x Thanks for that. It sounds simpler than I thought.

I have held a PPL(A) + the usual pilot's Flight R/T licence since 1988. So it sounds as if I better get the latest edition of CAP413 & do some revision first! :)

vintage ATCO
23rd Jul 2005, 21:45
CAP452 Aeronautical Radio Station Operator's Guide (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=44) is the definitive tome (not many pages though! :D)

Fill out form SRG1413: Application for the grant of a Radio Station Operator's Certificate of Competence (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=966) and this should get you the Certificate on the basis of your RT Licence.

distaff_beancounter
23rd Jul 2005, 22:32
vintage ATCO Many thanks for that. Looks like a good read for a quiet Sunday morning.

We did meet a couple of years ago when you kindly organised a Pprune trip around the new Luton Control Tower. I was the one asking the daft questions! :)

AerBabe
24th Jul 2005, 07:15
I don't know where you're based, d_b, but if you're anywhere near North Weald, drop me a PM and I'll arrange for you to come an sit with me some time. 'Tis good fun. You'll love it. :ok:

distaff_beancounter
24th Jul 2005, 08:41
AerBabe - Thanks very much for the kind offer, but I am unlikely to be in the North Weald area, due to the following:-

I am currently based just north of "the Home of the Hatters".
I am planning a complete escape and life-style change - OK, so I am having a late mid-life crisis :*
If my estate agents, solicitors & removers finally manage to get thier acts together, I should soon be heading about 235 degrees and 95nm to "the land of Thomas Hardy" :)
I am hoping to meet a new set of 'flying buddies' & perhaps find some part-time work in GA (for interest rather than remuneration). I would love to work as a Radio Operator, once I have mastered the local flying areas.
I hope to be able to attend the Pprune fly-in at Popham in August, so that I can meet Ppruners, especially any based in the South-West. :)

Irv
24th Jul 2005, 09:22
AerBabe - Thanks very much for the kind offer, but I am unlikely to be in the North Weald area, due to the following:-

You get an offer to sit with Aerbabe and you turned it down???? How can you therefore be having a mid-life crisis? - the facts don't match!;) :D

distaff_beancounter
24th Jul 2005, 09:34
Irv - Well, I am having a FEMALE mid-life crisis

So I am still looking for a man who looks good in a pilot's uniform! :)

AerBabe
24th Jul 2005, 14:51
No man looks good in a pilot's uniform. Most men look good in a flying suit.

Irv - Do you think I would have offered d_b a stint in the tower at NW if I thought she was a he? I wouldn't risk being locked away one-on-one with a male PPRuNer!

vintage ATCO
24th Jul 2005, 23:01
Can I sit with you, AB? ;) :D

You can come and sit with me. :cool:

:D

ozplane
25th Jul 2005, 09:12
Vintage ATCO, I thought Aerbabe had sat with you at G-VFWE? You mustn't be greedy you know. Nice to meet you at Duxford a couple of weeks ago Aerbabe. I was going to buy you a coffee but I turned my back and you'd gone. At my age that happens all the time!!

AerBabe
25th Jul 2005, 22:24
vATCO - You're welcome to sit with me any time. :)

Ozplane ... wasn't it you who left? :confused: I'm up there again next Friday, if you're around.

Send Clowns
26th Jul 2005, 09:35
:{ I thought you liked me in my unifrom, AB :(

By the way, your PM inbox is full and I am not sure if you're receiving the emails I am sending!

englishal
26th Jul 2005, 13:23
"the land of Thomas Hardy"
It's nice down here ;)

ozplane
26th Jul 2005, 14:23
Curses, Aerbabe. I'm running a non-aviation corporate event down in Surrey on Friday otherwise we might have had to risk one of the Runway Restaurant's's coffees. Better luck next time.

AerBabe
26th Jul 2005, 21:43
Send Clowns - I only ever saw you in your BCFT uniform ... never the navy one. :( Send me a photo! (Inbox now emptied a little).

Ozplane - I'm at Duxford lots next month. I'm sure we'll have the opportunity to catch up soon.

nick14
27th Jul 2005, 08:48
ah the sweet sight of me in my flying suit!!

:ok:

I need some r/t practise so if anyone is willing
:sad:

Nick

ozplane
27th Jul 2005, 14:39
Good show Aerbabe. I look forward to it.

AerBabe
27th Jul 2005, 18:04
Nick - Would be glad to help you out if you can travel. Duxford would be the better bet as I can take time out there without too much hassle (while I'm still voluntary). We need as many people as we can get who know how to 'do' R/T!

(But you have to wear a flying suit). :E

distaff_beancounter
27th Jul 2005, 18:54
englishal It's nice down here I hope it is :)
House sale just been finalised - I am moving down to Dorset next Wednesday.

From your 'image' do I gather that you are based near Cerne Abbas?

I am hoping to fly from Henstridge, Compton Abbas or any other nearby airfields as well as seeing if anyone wants a part-time A/G Radio Operator (after training). :)

nick14
27th Jul 2005, 20:50
Aer Babe,

wel i dont actually have my licence yet but thats y i need the practise!!

Teach me!!

Would love to wear my flying suit!!

:E

Nick