PDA

View Full Version : Light plane crashes on lawn at Reichstag

HowlingWind
22nd Jul 2005, 23:52
A light plane crashed on the lawn of the German Reichstag, the home of the German Parliament, at about 1900 GMT Friday. The pilot was killed. Police do not suspect terrorism, but some type of "accident or suicide."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4709219.stm

Most interesting quote:
Another witness said the plane was flying upside down and the pilot was trying to land. :confused: :confused: :confused:

HairyYellowButt
23rd Jul 2005, 00:12
Isn't there a sign outside the Reichstag saying "KEEP OFF THE GRASS"?

Farrell
23rd Jul 2005, 01:08
HYB...

Not funny under the circumstances.....pilot was killed.

No-one knows if foul play was suspected, and this could be just a tragic accident.

Maybe you might delete your post in case his family gets to read what you said.

We have enough members of the media in our midst who I'm sure would take the first opportunity to quote you as an ambassador of our trade.

TWOTBAGS
23rd Jul 2005, 04:49
Yes there is a sign that says exactly that

&

Farrell, get a sense of humour transplant. I seriously doubt that at this time the pilots family would be reading this forum:ugh:

Lets let the appropriate authorities deal with this OK.

akerosid
23rd Jul 2005, 05:31
It's the Bundestag - the Federal Parliament, not the Reichstag, which belongs to another, less pleasant time.

I'm surprised to see the BBC not getting this right (although ITN got it right).

WestWind1950
23rd Jul 2005, 05:51
it IS called the Reichstag! believe it or not...

the German news is saying that it was a possible suicide. The pilots wife is missing since mid July and he is being accused of maybe having had something to do with it. There is supposed to be a press conference sometime today so let's wait and see what they say.

It is said that it was a double decker Kibitz ultralight. This incident may cause the airspace over Berlin to be closed now... so far it was fairly unrestricted. The government had put out a requirement recently for ALL pilots, except glider- and ultralight pilots, to acquire a "security check"... there are lots of protests going on about that. Now this incident, no matter what the cause, will make the politicians feel they were right and now perhaps extend the checks to ultralights. So, whether it was suicide or an accident or even on purpose, it wasn't good for general aviation :uhoh:

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,366420,00.html (Spiegel)

edited to add link...

Westy

Farrell
23rd Jul 2005, 07:34
Oooooo TWOTBAGS.....almost as touchy as me!!! :}

bar shaker
23rd Jul 2005, 13:58
Are ultralights allowed to fly over built up areas like Berlin?

A380HS
23rd Jul 2005, 15:35
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L23218708.htm

HairyYellowButt
23rd Jul 2005, 17:57
Maybe you might delete your post in case his family gets to read what you said Farrell, considering his wife is missing and he probably committed suicide - maybe you might delete your post!:}

Regards
Ambassador HairyYellowButt.

Cat.S
24th Jul 2005, 16:59
It's a miracle that no-one on the ground was killed. I was there just four hours earlier and the area was heaving with tourists. The queue to go round the inside of the building was still several hundred metres long when we left at four thirty. Although it's possible the grounds were closed to visitors when he crashed?

Spunk
24th Jul 2005, 17:15
And the outcome is:

Berlin is soon to become a prohibited area for private pilots...:yuk:
(as it was just announced on TV)

Farrell
24th Jul 2005, 18:31
HYB......

I bow to your superior humour, Ambassador! :}

Monocock
24th Jul 2005, 18:47
Who are you all?

Where did you come from?

MichaelJP59
25th Jul 2005, 13:17
Berlin is soon to become a prohibited area for private pilots...

No doubt of course all those intending to commit suicide in this manner will bear in mind the risk to their licence of infringing the prohibited area.