PDA

View Full Version : Shortage of IR Multi Instructors.....

TenAndie
22nd Jul 2005, 20:00
I hear that there is a massive shortage of IR Multi instructors. Our air school is pretty desperate.

I know Oxford have taken the lead and started up a sponsorship scheme. Does anyone know if any other schools are going to be doing this kind of thing ??

I really want to instruct ME IR but as we all know, it costs a fortune to get that stage !! Im just coming to the end of my ATPLs so any whispers or news would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

TenAndie

hugh flung_dung
22nd Jul 2005, 21:29
That's interesting, who's recruiting MEIR instructors and what are they paying?

HFD

Foz2
23rd Jul 2005, 17:36
CTC are recruiting - £38-£40K.

Wee Weasley Welshman
24th Jul 2005, 09:30
Ha! About time. I used to dream of their being an IRI shortage.. Serves the industry right for being so mean with wages and conditions this last half decade.

BEagle
24th Jul 2005, 10:10
WWW - it's the fault of the JAR-FCL system for removing the AFI-to-FI upgrade test which also removed the 'no applied instrument' restriction. As a result, it is very costly for FIs wishing to have the 'no applied instrument' restriction removed as it requires an expensive course (£1000+).

The PPL to BCPL to AFI to CPL/IR/FI progression has now disappeared. No-one does the CPL exams; instead they sit the ATPL exams and must then take their IR and ultimately upgrade from 'fATPL' to ATPL within a fixed time scale or risk having to take the exams all over again. It is more expensive to obtain an ATPL under JAR-FCL than it was under CAP54; hence people are hardly likely to bother to become IRIs or FIs without 'no applied instrument' restrictions - because there is simply nothing in it for them! They need to join an airline not just to recover their training costs, but also to protect their licence.

Salary isn't the prime reason - and in any case, unless industry costs are reduced (VAT on training and fuel, for example), it will be impossible for FTOs to offer significantly higher salaries than they do at present.

TurboJ
24th Jul 2005, 10:36
I just need to clarify....the point made by BEagle about protecting your licence by joining an airline.

I checked LASORS and it states:

The holder of a valid JAR-FCL CPL(A)/IR with
JAR-FCL ATPL Theory credit will be credited the
JAR-FCL ATPL(A) Theoretical knowledge
examination for a period of 7 years from the last
validity date of the IR(A) entered in the CPL(A).

So every time you renew your IR the seven years starts again ??

Is that right or is there something else I have missed that says I have to get my frozen ATPL unfrozen before a certain time scale ??

BEagle
24th Jul 2005, 11:49
Sorry, I didn't explain what I meant.

Hitherto, the UK CPL included IMC Rating privileges, so with a CPL, an AFI could upgrade to FI and teach 'applied instrument' without needing to rush to achieve an IR. But nowadays:

"Potential candidates for the JAR-FCL CPL(A) should first consider the implications of JAR-FCL 1.495 that relates to the Acceptance Period.

A pass in the theoretical knowledge examinations given in accordance with JAR-FCL 1.490 will be accepted for the grant of the CPL(A) or IR(A) during the 36 months from the date of gaining a pass in all the required examination papers. Provided that an IR(A) is obtained in accordance with the above, a pass in the ATPL(A) theoretical knowledge examinations will remain valid for a period of 7 years from the last validity date of the IR(A) entered in the CPL(A) for the issuance of an ATPL(A)."

Sleeve Wing
24th Jul 2005, 15:58
I, for one, would love to instruct at that level again - part-time - but can't really afford to live in digs for a fortnight or so, to "get up to speed" again.
I suppose also that, like a few retirees, I don't want to commit to fulltime working again.

'spose I want the cake and to eat it !!

Ex.ME/IRI. Airline TIRE. :hmm:

provo
1st Aug 2005, 16:54
Other than CTC is anyone else loking for part time CPL/IR instructor with 170A (IR)?

Craggenmore
2nd Aug 2005, 12:19
Oxford placed an advert in this weeks Flight International for IR instructors....just not sure if its part time or not...

provo
2nd Aug 2005, 21:46
Craggenmore, thanks for the info

FlyingForFun
3rd Aug 2005, 08:48
Oxford have been offering to sponsor FIs, giving them 10 hours of multi time and sending them on the CRI course for MEP too. Unfortunately, their website (http://www.oxfordaviation.net/company/vacancies.htm) suggests that they have had enough applications for this that they have stopped taking any more applications until further notice.

Just one question about this opportunity, though. From the details on the web page I linked to, I'd value the sponsorship at around £10,000. I break that down as follows:

- 10 hours multi time @ £200/hr = £2000
- MEP CRI course = £2500
- MCC/JOC = £5500
- A "structured personal development program" - free

The "OAT Upgrade Progamme to prepare you to teach our APP and Modular students for their IR" can be disregarded, since they have to provide this to all new recruits.

And for all of this, they are offering a salary which is £10,000 less than they are offering to someone who already has the necessary ratings, with a minimum of a 2 year contract.

So, my advice would be to take out a £10,000 loan over 2 years. Pay for the experience and ratings yourself, then apply to Oxford to work as a Flying Instructor, and the extra £10,000pa you'll be earning will more than cover the repayments on your loan!

FFF
--------------

African Drunk
3rd Aug 2005, 23:06
Flight Training Europe
Oxford
CTC
Atlantic
Cabair/Bournemouth Cabair(EPTO? can't remember initials)
KLM
Possibly Bristol, BCFT

angelorange
4th Aug 2005, 18:41
don't forget Coventry

As to VAT on fuel - most of these schools now buying the Diesel/Jet A1 (Merc A class) engined Diamond DA20 twins - about 3 times more efficient than a Seneca!

deltic
23rd Aug 2005, 08:32
While Oxford Aviation are short of Multi/IR Instructors, a word of caution here. They pay 'up to' 34k if you have the rating. However since they couldn't find anyone they have introduced the career instructor scheme, good idea but it doesn't add up.

They pay for your ten hours multi time, Multi/IR qualification and MCC which would cost you say 9.5K or less if you do some of it in the states. The cost to oxford aviation as a business is likely to be around 5.5K. Meanwhile you are held on a salary of 25k for two years, which is 18k less than if your on 34k for two years. In the meantime if an airline job comes up your bonded!

Self funding to a multi IR qualification might be an option, but remember there are relativly few mutli/IR instructors compared with PPL and SE commercial inbstructors out there, so it doesn't take much to cause a shortage. Infact you only need a few RAF or RN multi instructors to come on to the scene and the shortage is fixed.

Other operators are looking for multi/IR instructors, the best deal seems to be intercockpit who offer MCC and either A320 or B737 rating after two years.