PDA

View Full Version : London - Temporary Restricted Airspace

TC_LTN
22nd Jul 2005, 06:19
I have come to work this morning to find that a Narrow Route Brief still does not capture the TRA. We have had a big moan at AIS and they say they are going to sort it. In the meantime the details are as follows;

B)05/07/21 14:57 UTC C)05/07/22 11:00 EST NAVW (J3335/05)
E)AUS 05-07-0903 AS1
TEMPORARY RESTRICTED AREA. OWING TO MAJOR SECURITY INCIDENTS IN CENTRAL LONDON. RESTRICION OF FLYING REGULATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE UNDER ARTICLE 85 OF AND ANO 2000 IN THE AREA BOUNDED BY A CIRCLE RAD 10NMS CENTRED ON 513030N 0000731W. PILOTS ARE FORBIDDEN TO FLY WITHIN DESIGNATED AIRSPACE EXCEPT ACFT WITH THE PERMISSION OF LTCC (01895 426770) ACFT IN THE SERVICE OF THE METROPOLITAN POLICE, ACFT ENGAGED IN AEROMEDICAL SERVICES, ACFT NOTIFIED AS IN SERVICE OF THE ROYAL HOUSEHOLD OR HM GOVERNMENT, UK MILITARY ACFT, ACFT INBOUND TO OR DEPARTING FROM LONDON CITY AIRPORT, LONDON HEATHROW AIRPORT AND RAF NORTHOLT, ACFT ARRIVING AT OR DEPARTING FROM LONDON HELIPORT TO OR FROM THE WEST, ACFT ARRIVING AT OR DEPARTING FROM BIGGEN HILL AIRPORT, ACFT FLYING WITHIN 3NM KENLEY AD. HELICOPTER ROUTE H4 IS CLOSED EAST OF THE LONDON HELIPORT. HELICOPTER ROUTE H10 IS CLOSED EAST OF GUTTERIDGE. HELICOPTER ROUTE H3 IS CLOSED EAST OF SUNBURY LOCK, EXCEPT TO AIRCRAFT LANDING AT OR DEPARTING FROM LONDON HELIPORT TO THE WEST. HELICOPTER ROUTE H7 IS CLOSED. ATC UNITS CLOSE TO THE AREA ARE REQUESTED TO ADVISE AIRCRAFT ON THE FREQ OF THE CONTENTS OF THIS NOTAM.
F)SFC G)10000FT AMSL

TC_LTN
22nd Jul 2005, 10:12
Those fine girls and boys at AIS have obviously done their stuff and the TRA is now captured by a Narrow Route Brief.

Also note the validity of the TRA has now been extended until Monday;

NAVW: FROM 05/07/22 08:58 TO 05/07/25 11:00 EST J3342/05
E) AUS 05-07-0903/3093/AS1
TEMPORARY RESTRICTED AREA. OWING TO MAJOR SECURITY INCIDENTS IN CENTRAL LONDON. RESTRICTION OF FLYING REGULATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE UNDER ARTICLE 85 OF THE ANO 2000 IN THE AREA BOUNDED BY A CIRCLE RAD 10NM CENTRED ON 513030N 0000731W. PILOTS ARE FORBIDDEN TO FLY WITHIN THE DESIGNATED AIRSPACE EXCEPT ACFT WITH THE PERMISSION OF LTCC (01895 426770)/ ACFT IN THE SERVICE OF THE METROPOLITAN POLICE./ ACFT ENGAGED IN AEROMEDICAL SERVICES/ ACFT NOTIFIED AS IN SERVICE OF THE ROYAL HOUSEHOLD OR HM GOVERNMENT/ UK MILITARY ACFT/ ACFT INBOUND TO OR DEPARTING FROM LONDON CITY AIRPORT, LONDON HEATHROW AIRPORT AND RAF NORTHOLT. ACFT ARRIVING AT OR DEPARTING FROM LONDON HELIPORT TO OR FROM THE WEST. ACFT ARRIVING AT OR DEPARTING FROM BIGGIN HILL AIRPORT. ACFT FLYING WITHIN 3NM KENLEY AD. HELICOPTER ROUTE H4 IS CLOSED EAST OF THE LONDON HELIPORT. HELICOPTER ROUTE H10 IS CLOSED EAST OF GUTTERIDGE. HELICOPTER ROUTE H3 IS CLOSED EAST OF SUNBURY LOCK, EXCEPT TO ACFT LANDING AT OR DEPARTING FROM LONDON HELIPORT TO THE WEST. HELICOPTER ROUTE H7 IS CLOSED. ATC UNITS CLOSE TO THE AREA ARE REQUESTED TO ADVISE AIRCRAFT ON THEIR FREQUENCIES OF THE CONTENTS OF THIS NOTAM.
F)SFC G)10000FT AMSL

WorkingHard
22nd Jul 2005, 14:27
OK so why? For whose benefit is this? If it is to stop terror attacks from the air - we havent had any yet - and in any case is a potential terorist likely to put off by a NOTAM?

Zlin526
22nd Jul 2005, 15:00
Its probably there to stop news gathering helicopters from loitering overhead for hours on end. Its bad enough that the Met do it......:yuk:

Level headed
22nd Jul 2005, 17:55
Z526 - you wouldn't believe how some press aircraft get in the way of police/military operations. There are at least two pending prosecutions for breaches of the ANO that I know of.

WH - Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean that there aren't plans afoot to prevent such things. The TRA probably enables the cloak and dagger mob to see the chaff from the wheat. If an unknown aircraft decides to fly into the TRA with the intent to do harm, they'll be seen. No TRA - no alert - no fast and pointed things making big bangs over Blighty - leading to no No.10, Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament, etc.

WorkingHard
22nd Jul 2005, 19:16
Level Headed - you may be right but lets just assume a Cessna or Piper single engine at 120mph. That travels at 2 miles per minute, i.e. 5 mins max to get to centre of TRA. Who is going to do something about it in that time and what is going to be done? If (and of course it is a VERY big IF) it does just happen to have some HE on board and it shot down into say HP or Buck House, then what? I really do think it is just a sop to the public that something is being seen to be done. In any case far better to have a GA jet en route to LCY and change course at the last minute. Now I have to say this is not likely to inconvenience me so I am just an interested pilot.

WorkingHard
23rd Jul 2005, 14:05
It absolutely amazes me that this thread has had only 300+ hits since starting and yet everyone should read NOTAMS. the thread about spare seats or female pilots has had, by comparison, inumerable hits. What does this say, if anything, about UK GA pilots?

dublinpilot
23rd Jul 2005, 14:48
It absolutely amazes me that this thread has had only 300+ hits since starting and yet everyone should read NOTAMS. the thread about spare seats or female pilots has had, by comparison, inumerable hits. What does this say, if anything, about UK GA pilots?

Does it say that they have checked the notams, and have already seen the restricted airspace, and don't need to get their notams from Pprune?

WorkingHard, I don't mean to be smart. But I'm not sure what you're getting at here?

TC_LTN
23rd Jul 2005, 14:51
What does this say, if anything, about UK GA pilots?

WH, I think you may be picking a fight? I would like to think that the majority of GA pilots have comprehensively briefed themselves prior to departure and don't feel the need to reacquaint themselves with the TRA via my posting.

My reason for posting it, originally, was that it was mentioned in another place, that the original NOTAM was not captured by a Narrow Route Brief on the AIS site. I checked and found this to be true and while I alerted AIS to this problem I thought it may be prudent to post the NOTAM in a few places which may help some fellow pilots and controllers avoid unnecessary paperwork. Sitting looking at the radar, this afternoon, it is quite reassuring that little or no unidentified traffic appears to be going anywhere near the TRA.

Have more faith WH

WorkingHard
23rd Jul 2005, 16:13
No fight wanted or intended and not casting aspertions on GA. I was amazed that so few people had read it. I hope you are right in that most have already read the NOTAM and therefore did not need to view this. TC_LTN your post suggests this is case and it is very re-assuring that GA pilots are well briefed in the majority of cases.

egbt
23rd Jul 2005, 18:06
TC_LTN

right on:ok:

I got if from another site also under EGTT which I for one scan before deciding where to go for a bimble