PDA

View Full Version : ATCOs Salary

jay_hl
20th Jul 2005, 09:45
As I am thinking about heading off to Bournemouth to start training with NATS I am wondering what a typical salary is when training and also when you pass the exams and become a ATCO.

Any information would be grateful.

Jay

5milesbaby
20th Jul 2005, 10:36
jay its always worth searching PPRuNe for questions like that, I found:

pay at atc college (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=167795&highlight=pay)

and

NATS Pay/WP (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108840&highlight=atc+pay)

the latter one is a huge thread all about the last pay deal that included the restructuring of the pay scales dependant on where you work, its lengthy but worth a read if you really want to get up to scratch with NATS pay.

Having not fully read them both, you can expect to start on £24k if you got to TC/Swanwick and rise to about £32k once valid.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Jul 2005, 10:48
<<As I am thinking about heading off to Bournemouth to start training with NATS >>

I simply must ask - presumably you have been through all the tests, etc., and have been offered, and accepted, a position on a course? If so, you surely must have learned the answers to your questions already??

jay_hl
20th Jul 2005, 11:00
Sorry HD,

I am thinking of either starting the process to apply to be an ATCO or either go to uni and study and IT degree where I will then apply to NATS as a graduate.

I was simply asking the question regarding the salary as it forms part of my decision.

Rgds

Jay

5milesbaby
20th Jul 2005, 12:58
jay, I'm guessing your 18ish and looking at either a career or uni. If you have to take out loans to get through Uni then the pay at the college will be sufficient enough to repay the loans and still give you funds for a good time. For information recruitment can take a good year or so before you actually start at the college, someone else on here can probably give a better time-guide but if you apply now don't expect a start date until next year.

Hope that helps a little

5mb

italianjon
20th Jul 2005, 14:18
Jay,

Hi, I am joining Bournemouth in September, and am changing careers to do it.

I went through University, and have a degree. You will not have to pay back your loan while at college, because the basic is below the payback point. You will once you go out to a unit the salary is above it. But do not worry about the student loan - it's like a tax, you only pay when you earn. (I wonder if HR could pay us in expenses - they're exempt!)

From what I know now, having been through the application process, I would say go to University first. I know how you are feeling because I felt the same way... I was fed up of study and wanted to get out and earn money.

The reason I say go to university, is I am now well aware that you have medicals and scrutiny of your decisions to deal with. Both of which could end your ATC career at a moments notice. If that happens you will at least have a degree to fall back on. Also univeristy is a great experience and will teach you many life skills that you may not get going out to work straight away... like how to live with no money, a packet of corn flakes and a bottle of tomato ketchup... (At uni you will end up in that situation!)... BUT pick a useful degree - i.e. one you can use out of the box so to speak. There are many out there you require almost another degree in study before you can use it... Film and TV for example.

Hope that helps. Remember though it's your decision.

Laters

Jon

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Jul 2005, 14:53
jay_hl OK, I suspected as much! Becoming an Air Traffic Control Officer is not just a case of "heading off to Bournemouth to start training"! They're a bit fussy about who they take on and there are many applicants for the vacancies. If you decide to go for it then the very best of luck. If you succeed you will have a fantastic career....

University degrees are not the be all and end all.... Someone I know got a 1:1 in Biology and can't get a good job 6 years later! I got 2 O levels but have seen many Uni graduates fail as controllers. The annual medicals are nothing to worry about if you look after yourself.

flower
20th Jul 2005, 17:06
The whole process of applying takes some considerable time and if you have read some of the threads you will also be aware of the long lead time into the courses , so if you are genuinely interested there is no reason not to start your application process sooner. In the past HR would allow people to defer their start date if they were at university and I cannot see any reason why they shouldn't still do that.

A university degree will not make you a better ATCO, it may however be a good thing to do on the basis that nothing in this life is certain and having the backup of a degree may give you a level of security.

To check that ATC is really what you want however, try to arrange a visit to your local unit and find out what the real day to day life is all about.

I am glad it wasn't my first career but on the other hand I wish I had realised about it sooner as I couldn't now imagine doing anything else.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing and if they still have University Air Squadrons I would suggest joining that.

Standard Noise
20th Jul 2005, 18:11
".....having the back up of a degree may give you a level of security."

Damn, so that's where I'm going wrong! If only I had a degree, I'd be able to escape the clutches of the evil NATS-ys!

Oh woe is me.
:{

flower
20th Jul 2005, 19:44
Don't worry Noisy I haven't got a degree either, but as quite a few of my NATS colleagues have i don't think it would help you escape NATS evil clutches either ;)

Jerricho
20th Jul 2005, 19:49
You can add me to the list of people with out a degree. And Plazbot.

Standard Noise
20th Jul 2005, 20:22
Flower, see you in the madhouse then! Oh, and if we get committed, we want Gauldilocks, we saw him first!
Wanna know some goss on your boss? Chequered history that boy and that blow up doll.............well I never!

Jer - funny that, I haven't got a Plazbot either. Phew, no trip to the clinic for that cream then!:}

Jerricho
20th Jul 2005, 20:28
That would be hemorrhoid cream you would be looking for.

jay_hl
20th Jul 2005, 20:48
All,

Thanks for all your advice. I will definitely keep it in mind.

Rgds

Jay

Barry Cuda
21st Jul 2005, 09:00
Jay

Go to Uni, live the student life, learn a bit about yourself and others and what life can be like, get your degree then if you still fancy ATC apply then.

I've got a degree, I actually worked with it for 2 years before "discovering" ATC. It made no difference whatsoever to my application or training but it certainly gave me some happy memories and good times studying for it.

All the best whatever you decide to do...

coolbeans
21st Jul 2005, 11:22
I agree with Barry Cuda, I did a year of uni before deciding that the course wasnt for me, but the lifestyle was fantastic. Ok so you were pretty poor most of the time and you racked up a bit of debt but I had more fun in that one year than at any other time on my life.

After that I went on to discover ATC and its a damnn rewarding career, but it will wait for you.
Whatever you choose, Goodluck

:cool: