PDA

View Full Version : flying in menorca

windymiller7
18th Jul 2005, 15:21
Help!

Her indoors has persuaded me that we need a holiday!

I booked a week in Menorca and thought there must be a flying school where I could escape and hire a plane for a few hours to get through the week! Done all the searches but no joy!

Any Ideas

:ooh:

NT42
18th Jul 2005, 15:40
WM7 - Check your PM's.

Cheers,

JW.

windymiller7
26th Aug 2005, 09:12
I have just returned from Menorca, After a bit of searching I found a private airfield which is home to 8 planes. I manged to get in a few hours with the vice president of the flying club in a cessna 172 (EC HOC). The contact is Jose Maria email [email protected]. The runway of 1 mile has just been resurfaced!:)

jmpons78
26th Aug 2005, 14:52
Hello Richard

I will soon be able to post a link to our Aeroclub in Menorca with lots of information regarding our aeroplanes, renting, the 1 nautical mile runway (the longest in Europe as a private strip) and many other things.

For now, kind regards.:cool:

BEagle
26th Aug 2005, 17:28
My regards to all at the Real Aero Club de Mahon at San Luis aerodrome (the old Menorca airport).

Never got the opportunity to fly there, but had many a delicious meal there 20+ years ago. The lady who ran the kitchen made the best garlic mahonesa on the whole 'Isla Blanco y Azul'!

Had to be a chap called Pons who posted! Is Salas Pons wine still as good as ever?

Salud y pesetas! (Or €uros!)

jmpons78
26th Aug 2005, 18:53
Sorry sir, but "Salas Pons" wines closed down about 12 years ago..........we still have good wine though!!:ok:

BEagle
26th Aug 2005, 19:51
I have no doubt! I was always fond of Paternina Tinto Banda Azul - does it still exist?

Presumably Beltran and Xoriguer are still running 'Operation Mother's Ruin' in Puerto Mahon? Or should that be 'Maó'?

Fantastic place, Menorca!

Final 3 Greens
26th Aug 2005, 20:55
I flew a PA28-140 out of there in 1995.

Huge runway, great rules of the air - take off, fly to the coast, turn left or right, call the big airport at the three VRPs, maintain =<1000' agl. Forced landings might be a bit challenging in some areas, but if you don't have a sense of humour......

Fantastic views and impossible to be uncertain of position.

Lovely people ran the club at the time.

jmpons78
27th Aug 2005, 15:18
For BEagle......

Yes, the Paternina Banda Azul still exists but I don't drink it.
Regarding the gin makers, Xoriguer took over Beltran and Beltran no longer exists.
We don't know YET whether is Maó, Mahón or Magon, as the romans use to call it.:mad:

For Final 3 Greens......

The PA 28 crashed 6 years ago and we no longer have it. We replaced it with a Cessna 172, Skyhawk.
Forced landings are indeed difficult as there are one thousand miles of stone walls spread all over the island.
Same people run the club. Thank you.:\

javelin
30th Aug 2005, 16:04
Fly the Aisa Paparra - it is just about unique. I flew it a few years ago, hope it's still there.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/262346/L

BEagle
30th Aug 2005, 16:35
Didn't that used to have a sister ship - EC-BFZ or something like that? It used to fly around there in the early 1970s...

jmpons78
30th Aug 2005, 19:47
Yes, the “paparra” is still there and FLYING!
We are restoring it at the moment, re-painting it in some parts and doing some maintenance on the engine. By the way, did you know the lifespan of these “tigre” engines is only 400 hours? Yes, only 400 hours, and after that, it must be overhauled

The sister plane (another “paparra”) was destroyed by a fire in 1978 and no longer exists. :{

The correct name for this aeroplane is AISA- I115 and ours is the one and only example flying in Spain nowadays. There is another one in Madrid, but has some stability problems and was grounded some time ago. You can have a look at the following link:

www.fio.es/

Excuse me, I forgot it\'s all in Spanish.
This is a better link:

http://www.fio.es/museo/aviones.htm:ok:

BEagle
30th Aug 2005, 19:57
Sorry to hear that the other 'Garrapata' was destroyed in a fire - it looks as though it's a nice little aeroplane with a CS prop....

Apparently I still own 50% of a flat just over the road from the Hotel Agamemnon in whatever Villacarlos is called these days; I'm determined to visit the wonderful island of Menorca again soon - perhaps next year?

Do you have temporary membership rates for foreign visitors at the Real Aero Club de Mahon these days?

Edited to add - try this link:- http://www.fio.es/museo/aviones.htm

Salud y Pesetas!

jmpons78
31st Aug 2005, 19:32
The name Villacarlos remains the same but they have developed this area so much, I think you'll not recognise it

Yes, we do have temporary membership rates for foreign visitors at the Real Aero Club de Mahon, for one single day and it's free.

No, it is not a CS prop....What you can do is change or ajust the actual angle of the blades, by hand of course.