PDA

View Full Version : Filton Information

Squadgy
18th Jul 2005, 13:23
Hi

Can anyone tell me what's going on at Filton with the training of FISOs?

From the NOTAM it looks like FISOs are being trained/ working on both the Tower and Approach frequencies - how does this work out as AFAIK there is no other FIS unit which uses two.

Also is this going to be a long term thing and what's the effect on instrument traffic - are the FISOs being allowed to handle discreet 'company' instrument arrivals like Walney for instance?

Chilli Monster
18th Jul 2005, 15:31
From the NOTAM it looks like FISOs are being trained/ working on both the Tower and Approach frequencies - how does this work out as AFAIK there is no other FIS unit which uses two.

The frequencies are "cross-coupled" so it doesn't matter which one you use, anybody on the other frequency can hear you. The same goes for aircraft transmissions.

Also is this going to be a long term thing and what's the effect on instrument traffic - are the FISOs being allowed to handle discreet 'company' instrument arrivals like Walney for instance?

NO! to both - and if I had my way it wouldn't even be going live at all :*

Squadgy
18th Jul 2005, 15:45
NO! to both - and if I had my way it wouldn't even be going live at all

Oh :oh: So why is it happening? When are they intending to provide FIS rather than ATC?

Standard Noise
18th Jul 2005, 22:11
"............it looks like FISO's are being trained.............."

Oh how blessed we are!:rolleyes: What about Bae admitting it's a cock up and bringing back Serco!?

Martin Q Blank
19th Jul 2005, 05:58
They won't admit it because the incompetence of the two people involved in causing this monumental disaster is only outweighed by their arrogance!

A I
19th Jul 2005, 08:59
I'm a bit confused. Perhaps someone with real knowledge can explain. I was under the impression that if an instrument approach was being carried out there had to be a valid Air Traffic Controller providing the service. Please don't tell me that the rules have been dumbed down to such an extent that this service can be providede by a FISO.

A I :( :\

Squadgy
19th Jul 2005, 10:24
A I,

At some locations (e.g Walney and possibly some HIAL airfields), aircraft perform IAPs at airfields manned by FISOs. These procedures aren't published and are only approved for use by certain aircraft (e.g at Walney the BAe Systems staff shuttle aircraft).
Chilli Monster has said though that this isn't happening at Filton.

The CAA did consult a couple of years back on FISOs being able to oversee generally available IAPs, however these proposals were not adopted.

niknak
20th Jul 2005, 15:52
Sorry Chilli me old mate, but this is simply farcical.:rolleyes:

Perhaps you should have taken that job in Bagdhad after all.....:p

Chilli Monster
20th Jul 2005, 18:09
There would have been less stress - that's for sure! :\

Standard Noise
20th Jul 2005, 18:15
OI! You up there, yes you, just above me, you're going nowhere matey, you've got a bleeding LARS to provide! If you think I'm doing it for you, you've another think coming. And none of those poncey SRATCOH breaks, neither!:p

niknak
20th Jul 2005, 22:15
LARS by FISO....

Sounds like Chinese water torture...:p

Evil J
21st Jul 2005, 08:19
Sounds more like a Norwegian hairdresser

Legs11
21st Jul 2005, 09:19
oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! Filton just seems to be sinking lower and lower by the week:rolleyes: As you say MQB, too much arrogance and incompetance. I wonder what those higher up are thinking, or maybe they don't know/care anyway - if the airfield fails it can always be built on after all:suspect:

coolbeans
28th Jul 2005, 14:57
Que dramatic music

Lightning flashes across the sky

Thunder crashes

Wolves howl in the forests

A cold wind blows from the north

FISO has begun at Filton

God help us all

:ooh: