PDA

View Full Version : There's got to be a better flight school

Gerhardt
17th Jul 2005, 14:07
I started lessons to add on a helicopter endorsement. The first lesson went fine. The second one was cancelled because of maintenance. The next lesson went fine but then on each of the next three lessons....I was getting ready to walk out the door to go to the lesson and called to confirm and was told that they meant to call me and cancel because the helicopter was down for maintenance. I live two hours from the school, and they know this, and I was so mad last time that I flew in anyway just to pick up my training logbook, but I didn't mention that I was pissed.

It's the only school in the area and they have around 40 active students so I'm sure losing me as a student is no big deal. I haven't been able to find another school within 2 hours travel time.

1. Am I making too much of this and just need to suck it up? I like the instructors, but I need to fly more often. And I guarantee that I'd blow up if I traveled there once for a lesson only to have it cancelled when I could have had notice.

2. There are other schools a few hours away. I can take 3 weeks off work, but is it doable to finish training in that amount of time? (flying R22)

3. If so, can someone suggest a good school?

Thanks for your thoughts. - Gerhardt

Onan the Clumsy
18th Jul 2005, 20:58
There's a place in Dallas called Sky Helicopters. You might ask them what's feasible. I don't really know that much about them, but they've been around for a while and I talked to the lady once and she seemed ok.

If you live in Southern MO, it might not be too far away and there's a motel directly across the road. You might could do it in two weeks - especially if it's an add on.

No, you're not making too much of it. It's a business and you're a customer. You deserve better for your money.

Gerhardt
25th Jul 2005, 15:53
My new instructor mentioned this Saturday. This is my former instructor:

June 27, 2005, 10:44 AM
LAKE OZARK, Mo. (AP) -- A helicopter pilot and passenger are counting their blessings after the chopper crashed into the Lake of the Ozarks.
It happened Saturday near Lake Ozark. A helicopter owned by Midwest Helicopter of Chesterfield was piloted by Benjamin Molyneux, 29, of Long Grove, Ill. Passenger James Russell, 54, of Kemah, Texas, was shooting photos for promotional use, Missouri State Water Patrol Sgt. Ralph Bledsoe said Monday.
"They were getting down close to take pictures of boats and stuff and just got too close," Bledsoe said.
Neither man was injured, but the Robinson R-22 helicopter sank in about 55 feet of water.

BigEndBob
28th Jul 2005, 21:56
Nothing new i've come across a few instructors who are waiting for an accident to happen...in fact i know of 3 who came unstuck, funny how u know its going to happen.

ducks fly higher
29th Jul 2005, 09:52
I imagine its going to be out for maintenance for quite some time then..... once they reclaim it from the little fishies :D