PDA

View Full Version : European charts

FullyFlapped
16th Jul 2005, 23:12
In two weeks I'm planning to fly to Hungary, stopping off in Prague en route. Does anyone know where I can get VFR charts for Czech and Hungary ? Jeppesen don't seem to do them (or I can't find them on their site). Any ideas please ?

Also, can anyone who has bought the Bottlang Trip Kits tell me exactly what's in them ? Do they include VFR charts ? If so, Jepp DO have them for the above countries, so that would work ...

Thanks in advance !

FF :ok:

atb1943
17th Jul 2005, 08:23
FF

Jepps do a VFR chart for Czech but not one for Hungary. They also do trip kits of the Bottlang charts for both countries, or you choose the big Bottlang that will cover the entire route. The Bottlang doesn't include VFR charts, but since each aerodrome has a local vicinity chart in topo form, there is a lot of real VFR info there. The VFR FliteStar is also a boon for a trip like that, as Flyer will have demo'd on a continuous basis.

Hope this helps.

atb

Nuvva fing, FF....I\'ve seen a nice VFR map of Hungary put out by their military charting department, one sheet covered the whole country. No idea where to get one, but your best bet would be to give Stanfords of London a call, or check out www.stanfords.co.uk

cheers

atb

justsomepilot
17th Jul 2005, 16:54
The Bottlang trip kits just contain airport diagrams and circuit patterns, with local VRPs which ATC might ask you to report at, plus contact details and such like. There are no en route charts.

For areas not covered by Jeppesen VFR charts, one has the choice of nationally published charts, or the TPC/ONC charts. ONC charts are commonly used in the general direction you are looking at, but they are usually several years old and have no controlled airspace on them.

The other way to get VFR charts of some sort is to buy Jeppesen Flitestar, the european version, and print off bits of the VFR charts in there. They often aren't very good on detail but if you really stick to VFR should be OK.

Aim Far
18th Jul 2005, 10:01
Try Peter Mundy at www.pilotshop.nl

He's got most of the ICAO charts.

FullyFlapped
18th Jul 2005, 12:40
Thanks one and all, a combination of Jepp and Peter Mundy has hopefully done the trick.

Just so you're all aware, Jepp have just told me that I cannot upgrade my version of FlightMap from VFR to IFR, as they no longer sell FlightMap - you now have to buy JeppView and FlightDeck.

Cheers, guys !

atb1943
19th Jul 2005, 07:03
FF

Flitemap has been discontinued, but for those who still have one, updates are still available. You can certainly upgrade to FliteStar IFR, you just don't have the moving map capability of FMap. If you were then to add JeppView, their electronic IFR route manual you would automatically receive FliteDeck, which would give you an icon of your aircraft's position on the charts (in association with your GPS of course).

cheers,

atb

justsomepilot
19th Jul 2005, 11:09
Looking at the pricing of the products, this is a fine example of a cynical marketing strategy. Jeppesen can do this because nobody else has the data.

FullyFlapped
19th Jul 2005, 14:12
atb,

My main gripe is that I want both IFR and VFR routing and moving map viewing (picky, huh ? :-).

Having scrapped FliteMap to introduce FlightDeck, they then announce that Flightdeck is IFR only until some unspecified time in the future ... so why not keep selling FlightMap until then ?

Crazy ...

JustSomePilot

Bang on. Wish I'd thought of it first !

atb1943
22nd Jul 2005, 06:16
FF

Seems to me to be a matter of a variety of products being further developed by their respective development teams, and now all being done under one management. Possibly a masterplan there somewhere, plus a bit of bad timing, but nothing sinister about it, certainly nothing cynical.

FliteDeck has been around for a number of years, and has now been integrated into JeppView, so your assumption that Map made way for Deck is not quite right. May certainly have something to do with the impending electronic airfield guide, slated for April (wot year you might well ask!), but again, it's surmise.

I have a sneaky feeling that if you ask nicely they might still find you a copy of IFR Map, worth a try....be insistent, have them check their stock....

cheers

atb

FullyFlapped
22nd Jul 2005, 11:35
atb,

I did try to persuade them that they must have one at the back of the cupboard somewhere, but no joy ... unless you know better ? (he adds hopefully!)

atb1943
23rd Jul 2005, 08:57
Hmmm,

.....but they must have all the bits available, FStar software, navdata disc and VFR charts on CD, and a FMap serial number - they are bound to have extra ones somewhere to handle upgrades, tech problems etc. They could look in last year's catalogue for the price. If they are no longer allowed to call it FMap, or if it is no longer in the system, they could simply call it FS and overwrite the price.

Worth a try...?

cheers

atb