PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe Return to Popham Fly-In 29 August.

BRL
16th Jul 2005, 10:51
Following the incredible success of the last fly-in :suspect: how abut returning to Popham?

Would someone like to suggest a date or two?

Monocock
16th Jul 2005, 19:35
A fine idea.

Out of interest, how many normally drop in?

I might have a plan.....
:cool:

Mike Cross
16th Jul 2005, 19:54
Better get the mower out:E

Genghis the Engineer
17th Jul 2005, 07:11
As a local at EGHP, I'm game. If some of the other locals will help out, I'm sure we can sort the logistics out easily enough.

I'd suggest early September, as it gets us out of the summer holiday season but the weather should still be good and the days long.

G

Mike Cross
17th Jul 2005, 07:13
Also Popham based and happy to help.

Mike

The Nr Fairy
17th Jul 2005, 07:29
Not me. I might drive over, but flying in to Popham turns out expensive . . .

High Wing Drifter
17th Jul 2005, 07:33
Hey, I'm a Popham local too (now) as well. At this rate it'll be more a drive-in :p

Happy to help too (what needs to be sorted out?)

Genghis the Engineer
17th Jul 2005, 22:28
Basically, I think that somebody needs to talk nicely to Dick. Anybody down there this week?

G

AerBabe
18th Jul 2005, 08:46
flying in to Popham turns out expensive

:(

Genghis the Engineer
18th Jul 2005, 09:49
Aerbabe can do jollies in the mighty Thruster, that'll make you feel better about having to drive. (Mind you, I think that last bit of unhappiness we can probably put down to a one-off, rather than the airfield itself).

G

AerBabe
18th Jul 2005, 11:05
that last bit of unhappiness we can probably put down to a one-off
That depends whether he's talking about the incident a few years ago, or the vast quantity of bacon butties and tea one is obliged to consume when one is flying.

Genghis the Engineer
18th Jul 2005, 12:06
Same applies, we've got new caterers in at Popham who have been with us about a year now, the food is excellent and (for airfield food anyway) really quite healthy.

G

Pitts2112
18th Jul 2005, 19:23
Being a new denizen of Popham, I can concur with Genghis about the quality of the catering. They're doing a pretty good salad bar for £4.95 and the wide selection of flapjacks is mighty tempting.

I've only been there a few weeks but I've already made some friends and have found the flying to be really good. Looking forward to really fitting into the place.

I vote for a fly-in there!

Pitts2112

Kolibear
19th Jul 2005, 08:52
I suppose that the ideal date would be 20th Aug, that way everyone on the Farnbourough LARS visit would be able to critise the R/T of everyone visiting the Fly-in :O

Can I suggest any date except 20th & 27th August? 10th Sept would good for me.

skydriller
19th Jul 2005, 10:00
I'll be visiting some of the family living near Thruxton between 14th and 24th August, and I believe Popham is just up the road, so I will turn up if around.....

Regards, SD..

AerBabe
19th Jul 2005, 18:14
on the Farnbourough LARS visit would be able to critise the R/T

Hope you're going to practise your 'Golf's then!

BTW, it doesn't take a special date to criticise spelling. ;)

cosworth211
19th Jul 2005, 21:20
I'd like to "pop" :O over to meet some fellow pruners, especially to see the pitts and any other aerobatic lovelies going, but I can probably only make the 20th or 27th August :{

bletchleytugie
20th Jul 2005, 18:48
Count me in - probably have to be the Falke again as the Cub is still poorly. Any one near Bicester want a lift?

Bletchleytugie

M14P
20th Jul 2005, 18:53
From a purely selfish standpoint the Sunday 28th August is the best date for me...

I'm working on the 27th and the 20th is the Red Bull Air Race in BUD :)

Cheers All,

m

Brooklands
21st Jul 2005, 13:08
Well I'm up for it. Looks as though I may finally have to land a plane at Popham, unless I can find somebody else to do the outbound leg (last time I came Wycombe flew the outbound leg).

Any of the dates would suit me at the moment.

Brooklands

High Wing Drifter
21st Jul 2005, 13:16
I would like to vote for the weekend of the 27th as a fave date too. With 20th a possibility.

Kolibear
22nd Jul 2005, 10:13
Make it 29th August & I'll buy the teas.

distaff_beancounter
24th Jul 2005, 08:55
I hope to be there too.

Not sure yet whether it will be by air or by car. :)

Irv
24th Jul 2005, 09:28
If anyone hasn't visited before and wants a brief on any particular approach, please 'pm' or something.
When the date's definitely fixed, I need to warn our resident spotter and maybe the kitchen. The former has been nagging me for a while about 'when is the next PPRUNE fly-in to Popham?'. He seemed particularly pleased with the last one but I can't remember why in particular.

distaff_beancounter
25th Jul 2005, 09:04
Has the date been fixed yet, please? :confused:

BRL
25th Jul 2005, 12:54
29th looks good.

dublinpilot
25th Jul 2005, 14:05
Aug 26th? A Monday?

Is that a bank holiday in the UK?

Just curious. I won't be able to make it, in any case.

dp

Circuit Basher
25th Jul 2005, 14:52
dublinpilot - in my 2005 calendar, 29 Aug *IS* :

a. A bank holiday
b. A Monday

:D ;)

Barcli
25th Jul 2005, 17:41
Should be there - count me in - am the bald one in a biplane
B

Kolibear
1st Aug 2005, 11:25
Aeroplane booked and offerings made to the Weather Gods.

Popham (http://www.popham-airfield.co.uk/)

FBS
1st Aug 2005, 16:49
I shall be there, but then I am based there too . . .

skydriller
2nd Aug 2005, 07:15
Sorry, cant make it, back in France a couple of days before...:sad:

Brooklands
9th Aug 2005, 17:25
Got the plane booked, of course because its a Bank Holiday its certain to pour down with rain.

Brooklands

LowNSlow
10th Aug 2005, 06:39
Can't make the 29th, will on my Hols

Whirlybird
10th Aug 2005, 06:57
Hope to make it. LOng time since I've been to a Private Flying fly-in.

Brooklands
18th Aug 2005, 13:23
Look forward to seeing all of those who manage to make it. I will be joined by Wycombe. Unfortunately the special suprise guest who I was hoping to bring can't make it.

EGLB

Genghis the Engineer
18th Aug 2005, 14:10
I shall be there, what in I'm not sure - as I've an aeroplane on the field and another 7 miles away I'll make it up as I go along.
:cool:

Couple of admin points:-

- Has somebody told Dick? He likes to know about such things, and if it's official-ish might waive landing fees!

- If anybody wants to use the trip for some strip practice, I'm a member at Chilbolton(Stonefield Park) 7m SW of EGHP, and would be happy to do a brief, etc. (Chilbolton is 410m with an interesting approach, but very friendly).

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Aug 2005, 14:38
The trembling, heavily disguised wreck hiding in the corner might be me.. Just keep the lynch mobs away.

Wycombe
18th Aug 2005, 15:11
...trying hard not to feel like a poor substitute to the "celebrity" that Brooklands was hoping to bring :{

BRL
18th Aug 2005, 15:49
Genghis, thanks for volunteering to tell Dick and try and get a discount or something, much appreciated indeed!! :D

As usual, if anyone from Shoreham/Redhill/Chichester is going and has a spare seat let us know :)

Brooklands, who was it going to be????????

Genghis the Engineer
18th Aug 2005, 16:17
I shall be working at Popham Tuesday, unless anybody speaks to him before then. If they do, please let me know.

G

Radar
19th Aug 2005, 15:14
Just booked the Arrow now all I need is for the wx gods to smile. Fingers crossed. Given the route, I will probably overnight. Any reccomendations for a hotel or B&B in the vicinity?

BRL, I could drop by Shoreham on the way if you're stuck for a lift.

Radar (the paddy in the PH Arrow )

Genghis the Engineer
19th Aug 2005, 17:46
I had to drop by Popham this afternoon. Spoke to Dick Richardson (the airfield manager), he's very happy to have us there on the 29th.

He's agreed to waive landing fees for Pprune visitors, but "suggests" a £5 donation per aircraft to the Bader foundation (which is a charity supporting flying scholarships for the disabled).

Assuming that I can get the *(&**(() booking website to work, which it's reluctant to do today, I'll probably be arriving in the mighty Thruster, but without Aerbabe who seems to be indisposed elsewhere.

G

By the way, B&Bs...

The only local one I know of is the Dove in Micheldever Station, about 2 miles from the airfield. I can speak highly of their beer, but have never tried the rooms. 01962 774288

Theres a corporate pub with rooms called the Wheatsheaf about a mile down the A30 towards Basingstoke (walkable, just!), which is overpriced but convenient. 01256 398282

Some neighbours of mine run a B&B about 10 miles away which has a good reputation, East Manor House in Abbotts Ann, tel. 01264-710031. Im going home via another airfield, but could give you a lift back to Popham from there in the morning if you need it. (And Davids an ex-Lightning pilot, so potential for good war stories!).

There are a few others listed on Pophams website, but I dont know anything of them.

G

Radar
20th Aug 2005, 06:45
Genghis,

Many thanks for the accommodation info. I'll do a bit of phoning / e-mailing around to see what's available.

Genghis the Engineer
21st Aug 2005, 09:37
By the way, our fuel at Popham has just gone up to a terrifying £1.20/litre, so you've been warned!

G

Irv
21st Aug 2005, 15:35
B&Bs - there are two or three down near the Wheatsheaf/Premier Lodge and Sun Inn (on the old road to Basingstoke, about 2 miles away). I'll try and dig out a number - they all recommend each other when full so if I can find one number, that's all you need. It's about £25 for B&B and sometimes includes a lift up to the airfield.

(I know the event is on the Popham calendar as a radio operator looked at it and asked me if I knew what type of aircraft a "Pee-Pee Rune" was).

Brooklands
23rd Aug 2005, 15:53
I've got a spare seat from Wycombe if anyone wants a lift down

EGLB

Whirlybird
24th Aug 2005, 17:40
Spare seat available from Sleap - in an ancient C150, not a helicopter. Cost sharing preferred, but I'd like company, so you can come anyway...to help bolster my confidence on the horrible sounding curved approach on runway 26. :eek: :(

High Wing Drifter
24th Aug 2005, 18:06
to help bolster my confidence on the horrible sounding curved approach on runway 26.
Fear not. It is nowhere near as bad as it looks. The 21 approach can be more tricky simply because of the turb from the trees.

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
25th Aug 2005, 11:37
One spare seat from East Sussex (Heathfield area) if anyone wants to go from that part of the world.

Safe Flying,
Richard W.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Aug 2005, 15:30
On either 26 or 03 (not 21, which has a clear approach), the trick is to remember that it's a 900m runway and unless you are flying something that desperately needs the length, come in slightly high and land a bit long. Takes the stress of both approaches off nicely. (If 21 is in use, expect sink as you cross the A303 by the way).

G

Wycombe
25th Aug 2005, 15:51
....this worked for me on my last visit (which was for the Pprune Fly-in a couple of years ago), but remember also that the downwards dip in the middle of 08/26 might lead to a prolonged float.

So, high, long, but not fast :D

italianjon
26th Aug 2005, 14:09
Hi Guys,

Never been to one of these before, wondering if it is open to wannabes, but not got PPL yet.

I am hoping to get my PPL as soon as I can and would love to start meeting people on the GA circuit.

Is it possible to come by car?

Cheers

J

Brooklands
26th Aug 2005, 16:06
Italianjon,

In a word yes. Its very easy to get to by road, here's some maps (http://www.popham-airfield.co.uk/Location_Maps.htm) to help you.

I think we've still got a spare seat.

Brooklands

bletchleytugie
26th Aug 2005, 16:43
Might swap the Falke for a Grob 109,what time are folks aiming to arrive

Genghis the Engineer
26th Aug 2005, 17:12
Just turn up, we'll even allow airline pilots in if they ask nicely and don't try the runway 26 approach in anything much bigger than a 737.

I'll hopefully have an aeroplane with spare fuel, so if anybody fancies a jolly in the mighty (!) Thruster you'd be most welcome.

G

Monocock
27th Aug 2005, 11:12
Is there a prize for the worst landing?

My trophy shelf needs filling back up again:}

See you there.

(or maybe not. I normally attend these events oblivious to who's who, read the paper for an hour and then go home. Within hours there's loads of photo's on PPRuNe with me in the background reading the Times....!)

Radar
27th Aug 2005, 14:40
See you there folks. We plan to arrive around 1300 local.

DubTrub
27th Aug 2005, 23:00
Good point, Radar...

When's the ETA, BRL? Is everyone going for lunch or what? Us Northeners might have to spend a few hours getting there, but as they say, the joy is in the journey.

I will have my pprune Badge (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=152326&highlight=badge) on my hat so everyone will know that I'm one of the Pproon gang. Right? I assume you've all donated and got the same? So we'll all be able to say: "say, you here on the Proon fly-in, or wot?".

...anyone there?

Hello?

[edit] Hey Mono I might have to do a worst landing there than you...it is after all a proper airfield.

BRL
28th Aug 2005, 00:18
Arrival times, hmmm, anytime you like really, I remember the last one got really busy around 1130 and we were told to space out a bit.

As for lunch, you just get what you want when you want it and eat outside on the tables if you like. There will be lots of people just milling about outside the clubhouse chatting, just look for the pprune badges, caps etc.

Make it 29th August & I'll buy the teas.an offer made by our good friend Kolibear :D

Don't forget it is free landings, just mention your with the pprune fly-in and make a donation, I think a fiver, it is for a good cause, the Bader foundation.

Fingers crossed for decent weather!

Mike Cross
28th Aug 2005, 20:38
Hey Mono I might have to do a worst landing there than you...it is after all a proper airfield.
That's a tall order, I trust you realise what you're up against!

I hope to be there lunchtime but almost certainly sans Luscombe as one of the other group members is taking it to Dunkeswell.

Mike

BRL
28th Aug 2005, 21:06
It is looking good for a lunchtime arrival. We will be in a Rans S6.

Will be wearing the famous pprune cap. :ok:

DubTrub
28th Aug 2005, 21:44
Being the boring git I am, I made this list from the thread:

BRL
Mono
Genghis
Nr Fairy
HWD
Kolibear
Skydriller
Aerbabe
Cos 211
Bletchlie tuggie
Brooklands
distaff_beancounter
Irv
Barcli
FBS
Whirlybird
Wycombe
Radar
WKW
jon the italian
Mike Cross
et moi makes twenty-two?

Monocock
28th Aug 2005, 23:38
That's a tall order, I trust you realise what you're up against!

Mike

I'll try not to replicate my last trip out to Popham...!!Oops (http://www.popularaviation.com/PhotoGallery/2948.jpg)

See you all there:}

FBS
29th Aug 2005, 17:45
Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat more chaps but the BRB (Big Red Bsssstd) wouldn't start and I had to go put some volts in the battery, then the neighbors turned up for flights and and Michael Turner wanted to take a photo of the aforementioned BRB.

Otherwise trips around the houses would have been possible on a let's share out the dinosaurs basis.

Hope you all had a good time and I am sorry about my legs.

FBS

Whirlybird
29th Aug 2005, 18:05
Got up EARLY :( :( , checked wx, NOTAMs etc. Looked out of window at VERY low cloud and drizzle, checked wx again. Phoned friend 20 miles south, as too early to phone airfields - wx same. Decided dissipating front hadn't dissipated as much as it was supposed to, and after two days of teaching hovering over the weekend, I didn't fancy a nearly four hour return trip of dodging low cloud and rain, even to see you lot - and I did want to see you lot, really I did! :{

So I went to Tesco instead. :{ :{ :{

Hope it was a good fly-in. I haven't been to one for ages, and I will make it to one someday, honestly!!!!

M14P
29th Aug 2005, 20:00
Nice to see some of you there but I was a tad busy so I really didn't get a chance to chat...
Good to see you Koli and some really top notch landings from HWD.
Bye
m

bletchleytugie
29th Aug 2005, 20:44
Had to do a bit of gardening whilst taxing to the hold on the way out - the perils of 17 metres of plastic!. hanks to MIke Cross for the trip in the Luscombe, to Koli for the cakesand to Mrs Monocock for looking after my passenger . Went back to Halton via the edge of the Chilterns to give madam passenger some ridge soaring practice (she'll get a shock when she gets to Sisteron).

Strangley enough we ended up in Tescos as well. Got back to Bicester and ended up doing a ferry run to Membury, the carrot being the opportunity to take a Chipmunk back to Cosford tommorrow:ok: :ok:

See some you soon again I hope.

Bletchlleytugie and Anna

High Wing Drifter
29th Aug 2005, 21:56
How odd. I ended up stopping off at Tesco for some Pita bread on the way back!

A rather splending afternoon. Really nice to meet and chat with some of you. Obviously whatever Kolibear sacrificed appeased the Weather Gods.

Thanks too to BRL and Genghis for organising :ok:

M14P,
Thanks mate :O Probably unrepeatable!

DubTrub
29th Aug 2005, 22:06
On the way down from oop north, I met up with Monocock , so we decided to arrive in formation. But Luscombes aught to learn not to fly too near cloud; it was a lovely flight.
http://www.dubtrub.freeuk.com/Dscf2184.reduced.jpg

The foggy cloud dispersed by the time we landed, and the weather was warm enough for lounging around on Popham's grassy knoll...
http://www.dubtrub.freeuk.com/Dscf2200.reduced.jpg

BRL gave me the pleasure of his company for a ten-minute jaunt over the Hampshire countryside, and he managed very quickly to un-learn PA28 foot rests.
http://www.dubtrub.freeuk.com/Dscf2207.reduced.jpg

I am sure that most who endeavoured to come did in fact arrive...even if I didn't meet you all.
http://www.dubtrub.freeuk.com/Dscf2201.reduced.jpg

http://www.dubtrub.freeuk.com/Dscf2204.reduced.jpg

A great venue with a great welcome (as always, thanks, Popham), and it was my pleasure to meet up again with those of you I already know, and to meet new Prooners for the first time.
Particular thanks to Kolibear and Mrs K for the tea & cakes (happy Birthday again, K!), and well done to Radar and his flying partner for making the trip from Holland.

Rob

EddieHeli
30th Aug 2005, 07:56
Finally made it to a pprune fly-in and met some of the ppruners.
Thanks for the cake Kolibear.

Trip to Popham and back from Sywell, rounded off a nice weekends flying which started with our first trip abroad on Saturday, when we flew to Grimbergen in Belgium, which is inside the Brussels zone, for the AYA fly-in.
We stopped at Calais both ways and met up with the Grumpy Gang. A great bunch who made us feel welcome and treated us like old friends.
My honorary moniker in Grumpy Gang circles now "Grumpy Chopper". Cheers Guys (and Galls) you know who you are (approaching BeachPig indeed!).

Take off from Popham made only slightly hairy by a YAK decending onto us at the hold as he was well to the right of the runway, resulted in my having to take avoiding action, and then my take off accelleration was a bit slow meaning I had to do a zoom climb and turn over 26 to avoid the trees at the end of 21.

Lovely flight back to Sywell and saw loads of traffic so quite a few enjoying the weather.

Cheers

EddieHeli (and Missus)

Monocock
30th Aug 2005, 08:08
What a great day.

Once again, it was good to catch up with everyone although I'm still sure that there were certin people hovering around and not making themselves known!!

It was perfect day for flying and my son loved his trip back. I was slightly concerned when he announced on landing that he hadn't actually eaten his Mini Cheddars on the way home, he had flicked them out of the open window... There is a little trail of mini Cheddars heading NNW from Popham for approximately 25 miles if anyone's peckish

:bored:

Great to see you all.

P.S Who was the person with the AA1? I wanted to catch up with him but never managed to find out who he/she was.

Kolibear
30th Aug 2005, 08:25
Just like to thank you all for a perfect day. It was actually my 50th birthday, hence the promise to buy tea & cakes. I can't think of a better way to spend a birthday than with friends, flying and with such glorious weather.

Big thank you to Mike Cross who took me up in his Luscombe. This was my first trip in a tail-dragger and I'd like to apologise for my poor taxiing, as in the Koliber, we use the rudders vigourously for taxing but not much during flight. But it was alovely flight, a few gentle aeros and a smooth landing - Mike, you made it look so easy:ok:

Mrs K enjoyed herself too, as a non-avaitor she's always a bit apprehensive that she'll be left out, but she had a lovely time.

Hi to M14P - nice to see you again.

We routed back to North Weald via WOD and gave Wycombe a wide berth due to the gliders.

As the put the aircraft to bed, our resident Spitfire whistled down the runway, landed and taxiied past.

To round the day off, we had a couple of drinks with Rallye Driver & Aerbabe outside The Squadron.

EddieHeli
30th Aug 2005, 08:30
Monocock,
That would be me in the AA1 G-BBWZ
EddieHeli

Mike Cross
30th Aug 2005, 08:51
a few gentle aeros
Chandelles are generally not classed as aerobatic (Luscombes not being cleared for aeros in the UK) however they are fun to practice.

The sign language for you have control/I have control seemed to work OK following the passenger's headset failure but I think I have to work on the difference between the pointing signal that means "Fly in that direction" and the identical signal that means "I've just spotted an aeroplane over there coming straight towards us":\

Good to meet everyone again. Thaks for the cake Kolibear and many happy returns to Mrs K who I believe has a similar occaison imminent.

italianjon
30th Aug 2005, 09:29
Thanks to all I met.

Wonderful day out!

Thanks for all the advice for my upcoming training.

Looking forward to meeting you all again,

Thanks.

BRL
30th Aug 2005, 10:53
Had a great day yesterday. Started out with a longish drive across Sussex to a farm strip near Heathfield to join Whiskey Kilo Wanderer and his Rans S6. A superb little aeroplane flying out from a grass strip, that is what grass roots flying is all about really isn't it, what a superb way to spend a bank holiday monday. :)

It was good to meet you all, the old faces and new ones, great to put names to faces etc, I agree with Mono though, I reckon there were people knocking about not saying anything...!

I also had my first trip in a taildragger, DubTrub kindly offered me a ride in his and off we went, he even let me have a go the mad fool!!!! :D Anyhow, many thanks for that Dub, it was great fun. :)

We also popped into a fly-in on the way back at a strip near to Bishops Waltham, I can't remember the name, little or long something, anyhow, very nice place, warm welcome and a free bbq thrown in! Nice place.

A few pictures........ For now, no room on my web space bit so will sort it out later.
Cockpit of DubTrubs Taylorcraft
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/145_4533.bmp

http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/145_4534.bmp

http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/145_4535.bmp

http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/145_4537.bmp

http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/145_4538.bmp
Monocock.

http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/145_4540.bmp

http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/145_4541.bmp

http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/145_4542.bmp

http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/145_4543.bmp
The Rans S6 :)
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/145_4544.bmp
Nice T-tail.
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/145_4545.bmp

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
30th Aug 2005, 10:56
Nice to meet up with everyone, particularly with BRL doing all the hard work there and back.

Thanks to Koli for the tea and cakes. It just shows how far people will go for a free landing and food!

Hope to see everyone at the next fly-in.

Safe Flying.

Richard W.

BRL
30th Aug 2005, 11:18
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/145_4547.bmp

Dodgy picture but this is the approach to the grass strip I can't remember the name of!!!
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/145_4549.bmp

Wycombe
30th Aug 2005, 11:23
Thanks to Brooklands for taking me along in G-YFZT.

Thanks to Koli for the Birthday tea and cakes

Thanks to Genghis for the great trip in the Thruster (and for letting me fly it and try a landing at Chilbolton to boot)

Thanks to the the folks at Popham for waving landing fees and making some nice lunch.

Thanks to the weather gods for some great weather on a Bank Holiday Monday.

Thanks to BRL for getting it together.

I think that's it.....great day.

DubTrub
30th Aug 2005, 12:01
BRL Any chance you could do the photos as jpg's? 900kb per bmp photo clogs up the dial-up!

BRL
30th Aug 2005, 12:07
Aah, sorry, yea. I didn't know what they saved as, thought they were jpegs. I am off to work in an hour so I will not be able to change them until I get back tonight. I have to go and put the old uniform on now and I fancy a quick shower beforehand so I don't have time right now. :ugh:

M14P
30th Aug 2005, 14:49
EddiH - Sorry if we were a bit close near the hold. It was both the earlish stages of a check out and a chap who was new to Popham. I wasn't concious of being too near the right edge but the YAK is a large-ish machine and the taxiway there is very tight to a narrow and cambering runway. Apologies for scaring you.
Thanks to the Grob (Tuggie??) for turning sideways to free up the runway!
m

Radar
30th Aug 2005, 16:24
Hi folks,

Just a quick note of thanks to you all for a great couple of days out. It's what bank holidays are made for. We had a very relaxing and enjoyable day from beginning to end. Woke not too early this morning to find the Arrow alone and isolated at a very quiet Popham. Popped down to Shoreham for fuel and a coffee. (There's nowt wrong with GA on the island. Shoreham was hopping at lunchtime!)

Crossed the Channel at FL50, Belgium at FL90 enjoying the view. 1 hour 50 flight time, Shoreham - Maastricht.

Thanks to all again. When 'n' where's the next one :D ?

Brooklands
30th Aug 2005, 17:03
A thoroughly enjoyable day out. Thanks to Kolibear for the Tea and Cakes - I'm getting worryingly close to that birthday :(

As usual I took a camera (digital this time), and as usual didn't take any photos until nearly the end. Consequently all I have are a few shots of Monos' Luscombe (PM me if you'd like copies e-mailed) and Wycombe getting ready for his Thrashing with Ghengis:}

Brooklands

italianjon
30th Aug 2005, 17:24
Well people,

Just following on from my last post about what an enjoyable day out it was, I thought I'd let you know that I have got my first lesson booked for Monday!!!

(Just in case you want to stay out of the air, I'm flying at 10:30! - From Thruxton)

Hopefully I'll be able to fly in next year!

Laters

BEXIL160
30th Aug 2005, 19:35
BRL.....

The grass strip you were at was Lower Upham

http://www.lowerupham.com/index.htm

Glad you enjoyed our little event. All organised and put on by four people.

Not sure if you were there at the time, but in the morning were had G-JUIN, a Cessna 303, visit. Very impessive on a 640m strip!

I was the chap "doing" the radio.

Come again, anytime. Just PPR please.

Best rgds
BEX

Monocock
30th Aug 2005, 20:25
Italian Jon

Well done old chap! Go for it

The offer still stands if you ever need it (even though you might be concerned over the picture BRL took of my toy with some fire extinguishers in the foreground....):ooh:

P.S Genghis - you look nothing like I expected you to!

italianjon
30th Aug 2005, 20:40
Mono,

Thanks for the support. I am sure I'll need to take you up on the offer at some point... I want to hit the books and get the exams out of the way, before I start my new job at the end of September...

Oh, and WRT your landing... I've already taken that as an example of how not to do it... :ok: although I came close on my Flying Scholarship a few years ago. I'll tell you that story another time.

Circuit Basher
30th Aug 2005, 21:34
Sorry I was unable to make it - firstly, Mrs CB and CB Minor had other plans for me, plus I'd have been feeling a bit of a fraud, having allowed my SEP class rating to lapse the day before. I'm already trying to put plans in motion (finances permitting, which depend on the sale of a flat in Sarfend) to get back in the green - check your PMs, DubTrub!

Glad you all had a good day - was thinking of you at 0600 as I gave CB Minor his bottle of milk and there was a heavy sea mist around. It must have been a day when I wasn't planning to fly because it lifted nice and early to give perfect VFR where I was! Sorry to hear about your met, Whirly! :(

DubTrub
30th Aug 2005, 22:10
Well done, Italianjon, keep us all posted how you get on Monday!

CB Got your PM...will respond soonest.

BRL That's Radar's T-tail, looks like a good pond-hopper.

BEXIL Nice-looking strip; sounds like you aught to host the next "Invitational Fly-In" at some point...a bit like Mono's back in May.

bletchleytugie
31st Aug 2005, 17:18
"Thanks to the Grob (Tuggie??) for turning sideways to free up the runway"

Pleasure - that must have been when we went gardening with the tailwheel. There is a plot to arrive at the next one in something that will fit in a bit better, buts its early days yet.

Radar
31st Aug 2005, 21:17
'That's Radar's T-tail, looks like a good pond-hopper'

DubTrub,

It certainly is. It's not quite in keeping with the 'grass roots' ethic, I'm afraid, but it has allowed me to experience tracts of eastern Europe and western Africa over the last couple of years. Experiences and memories I'll always treasure.

It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance. When's the next get together? :D

DubTrub
31st Aug 2005, 22:49
Good to make yours too, Radar. Get your buddy to join Pprune.
In answer to your question, BRL has posted this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=188125) to ask for suggestions.

italianjon
5th Sep 2005, 12:47
I know this thread is effectrivley dead... and this is off topic, but it is where this was discussed, so I thought I would update.

First Lesson complete...

Went over what ex's I had done 6 years ago... and in fact I haven't forgotten as much as I thought...

Got some more lessons booked this week, circuits tomorrow...

not bad eh?

Thanks again for all the support; and Genghis thanks for the recommendation of Thruxton (if you remember the PM's between us!)