PDA

View Full Version : Hire in Scotland

Quickloop
16th Jul 2005, 10:23
I'm going to the West of Scotland next week, and would like to hire an aircraft and fly in the Western Isles area. I've had varied receptions from clubs over the years when trying to hire, These have ranged from filling in a form, a quick circuit, to large joining and membership fees, followed by 5hr to 6hr checkout. The former I've hired from twice the latter never.

I would be grateful if someone could suggest an outfit with a reasonable attitude.

silverknapper
16th Jul 2005, 12:55
There are two schools at prestwick, bot good and reasonably priced. Nicely positioned to route to WI too.

GusHoneybun
16th Jul 2005, 13:36
Could try the Highland Flying School at bonny Inverness. The checkout is fairly relaxed and only an hours bimble from Stornoway.

Solo Hire for a traumahawk is suprisingly cheap.

Quickloop
17th Jul 2005, 10:02
Thank you both for your suggestions. Now if aircraft serviceability, availability, instructor, weather......................

silverknapper
17th Jul 2005, 14:33
For ease of hire, friendliness and availability Gus is right, Highland flying school really is top notch. The area is very uncongested, no controlled airspace around. A quick circuit or two and you'll be on your way if you're current.
Weather is pretty good up here at the mo. Out west you can usually expect a bit of low cloud, amazing the difference in only 80 miles. High ground around so one to watch.

Enjoy!

wbryce
18th Jul 2005, 11:21
I do not have much experiance from hiring aircraft from other clubs other than leading edge based at cumbernauld...I would think they would be very competative and very friendly to your needs.

volvodriver
18th Jul 2005, 15:33
I had to visit Inverness recently and was 'handled' by the Highland flying school. I say 'handled' but they never actually charged for anything. I paid the landing fee in a nondescript box in the Signature hut - is that the new name for Execair - and then went next door for a true Highland welcome.
I can't remember the chaps name - Peter? - on the desk; he was excellent.
My better half also commented on the condition of their aircraft as being 'very tidy'. Now that's a first for her.
I'm not sure if they hire 'planes however I'm sure a quick call will sort things out.

Regards

silverknapper
18th Jul 2005, 19:51
Yeah they do hire, £79/hour tomahawk, £99 for 172. Including landings.

Evil J
19th Jul 2005, 07:55
Just be careful with my "girls" (the 2 tommies) - also had the pleasure of the 172 recently and it is one of the finest I have every flown, very fast and airways equiped!! Cant knock it for £99 ph!!

Quickloop
19th Jul 2005, 22:26
I'm in Prestwick. Overlooking sea front, feels like a gale on the other side of double glazing! Only driving today. I will definately try Inverness another time after so much praise.

Quickloop
20th Jul 2005, 21:05
Prestwick Flight Centre's friendly staff sorted me out at short notice with an a/c today. My wife and I had a lovely flight to the Isle of Mull (via some others).

Thanks to all posters for some useful information.