PDA

View Full Version : Co Pilot

TotalBeginner
15th Jul 2005, 14:38
I have a PPL and was flying with a friend who is currently studying for the same.

He happened to mention that when he gets his license he will be able to log the time he spends with me in the right seat as P2. Is this the case? If so, can he use the hours towards a CofE. Ie the hours not required as PIC?

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jul 2005, 14:40
Almost certainly not, unless the aeroplane is certified for multi-crew operations or you're a flying instructor.

G

TotalBeginner
15th Jul 2005, 14:50
Thanks Genghis!

Thought I was hearing things :confused:

cosworth211
15th Jul 2005, 18:26
Sorry could someone clarify this, I am a PPL holder who is flying to Bournemouth from Shoreham this sunday in a PA28 with another PPL holder, we are taking it in turns to fly LHS, with the RH pilot doing nav and radio. Will the RH pilot not be able to claim P2 time, ie not be able to log the time?????

dublinpilot
15th Jul 2005, 18:37
In short, no.
Sorry, it's not the answer you want to here.

P2, can only be logged by someone who is a required member of the crew.

A PA28 is not a mutli-crew required airplance, therefore you can not claim P2 time.

Who ever is pilot in command can of course claim P1 time.

dp

Megaton
15th Jul 2005, 18:44
Sorry but as Ghengis says, the only way to log any time whatsoever would either be with an instructor or in a multi-pilot aircraft. Your PA-28 only requires one pilot . The only time you could have two occupants logging time would be when one was logging PIC as instructor and the other logging Pu/t or (PICus for a successful test).

Anyone looking at your logbook will immediately spot P2 time in a PA-28 and disregard it.

In the past, when I've flown memorable trips I wish to record, I just enter it in my logbook as "for info only" in some suitable column.

Anyway, why would you want to claim P2 time? If it's for recency then you're obviouslyon dodgy ground. Likewise, if you're hour building towards CPL mins.

Enjoy the flying and log P1 time only from the LHS.

cosworth211
15th Jul 2005, 18:47
It was purely for hour building totals. But I do not want to disobey and regulations on logging so I better only log P1 time. Just out of interest what stops someone less scrupulous logging both sectors as P1, whether they are in LHS or right?, when flying in a light aircraft.

Megaton
15th Jul 2005, 18:53
Nothing to stop you but is it worth it? If, for example, there was an incident, or heaven forbid, an accident all relevant paperwork would be examined. For the sake of a few hours in your logbook you could jeopardise your long-term career aspiration or goal. Finally, some degree of integrity is implicit in this system. Can you imagine pitching up at an airline or flying club claiming more experience than you really have? The consequences are at best embarrassing but, at worst, dangerous.

Seem to remember chap "Parker-penned" his logbook to get an airline job. By all accounts, he was pretty good. Got found out eventually and, guess what, he lost his licence and job.

What are you building hours towards?

cosworth211
15th Jul 2005, 18:57
Same as everyone else, PIC time. I only hold a PPL, but leave for EFT to undertake the APP in 6 weeks. Every hours seems to count these days to give you an edge.

I'm also trying to log a variety of flying, i'm flying aerobatics, going to go for some tailwheel later this year, and mybe a bit of jet time on a poverst or similar.

I'm glad someone highlighted the above to me or I would have incorrectly logged P2 time this weekend.

Megaton
15th Jul 2005, 19:04
I did my CPL at EFT 2/3 yrs ago. Now flying Dash 8 with xxxxxxx but moving to BA shortly on Scarebus. Say hello to Phil for me.

Whopity
17th Jul 2005, 08:25
" Just out of interest what stops someone less scrupulous logging both sectors as P1, whether they are in LHS or right?, when flying in a light aircraft."

Logbook fraud currently costs arround £400 per entry in UK Court fines and once convicted, I doubt that anyone would employ you as a pilot. Does that answer the question?