PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Honiley & Listo SIDs

gliding777
14th Jul 2005, 18:57
Can any MAN controller enlighten me as to why we have to 'confirm you have a HON 1Y/R / LISTO 1S departure' when checking in with the departing runway tower controller? It's almost as though they are in a completely different location to where the clearance was originally issued, when I'm assuming the Delivery controller is sat next to the Tower controller?

Hope you can help!

Fried_Chicken
14th Jul 2005, 19:10
Covered here, found by a quick search:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158708&highlight=Manchester+SID

Fried Chicken

NudgingSteel
14th Jul 2005, 19:20
On westerly ops (when both LIS and HON sids exist for southbounds), the LISTO is permitted for smaller traffic which can make an early turn without upsetting people below too much...Bigger aircraft use the HON which as you know goes much further west initially.
Some crews weren't aware of which SID they were required to fly and despite acknowledging the correct one, either then programmed or manually flew the wrong one in error.
The potential implications are large if the departure controller is applying separations based on aircraft speed and routeing - HON and LIS are separated nicely initially, but if someone suddenly makes an unexpected turn onto the wrong SID - especially if during a frequency change or R/T fail - it can all turn rather nasty rather quickly.
The 'confidence check' was introduced to cut down the probablility of this happening, and it seems to have been extremely successful to date. But not all the crews know this so it probably sometimes sounds, on the R/T, like poor coordination in the tower. Now you know it's not!

dammit , fried chicken- you beat me to it whilst I was typing!
hadn\'t seen the original thread either. D\'oh!

gliding777
14th Jul 2005, 23:05
Thanks for the replies guys, makes sense and I understand the reasoning for it now!