PDA

View Full Version : Blackbushe to IoW!

Blinkz
14th Jul 2005, 16:58
Hey guys,
Am planning my first XC since getting my PPL, am taking two friends to the Isle of wight next week. Just wondering if theres any advice that all you experienced folk can share? The route from blackbushe looks pretty simple, with little airspace problems to get in the way.

The main problem I have at the moment is lack of headsets, in that I need two for my friends. Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks for any advice!!

Brooklands
14th Jul 2005, 17:07
Blinkz,

Give Lasham a wide bearth if you can - there's always a lot of gliders around there, and they aren't always easy to spot.

Other than that enjoy the experience - the IoW is a lovely place, and as the runways at the two fields are oriented at near-enough right angles you should find one thats reasonably in to wind

Brooklands

ShyTorque
14th Jul 2005, 17:47
I recall that NOTAMS recently gave info that the airspace over the IOW has been changed (I think it was after the new CAA 1/2 mill chart was published) so do check that you have your chart correctly amended.

Enjoy the flight. ;)

Here is the relevant info, cut and pasted from the AIS NOTAM website:

EGHJ
RAC : FROM 05/05/10 08:35 TO PERM L1445/05
E)BEMBERIDGE ATZ CHANGED
AMEND LATERAL LIMITS TO READ:
CIRCLE RADIUS 2NM CENTRED ON MID POINT OF THE LONGEST NOTIFIED RWY
(12/30) 504041N 0010634W, EXCEPT THAT PART OF THE CIRCLE SOUTHWEST OF
A LINE JOINING 504100N 0010939W AND 503851N 0010748W.
DELETE REMARKS STARTING: EXCEPT THAT PART OF THE CIRCLE, AND ATZ
OVERLAPS SANDOWN ATZ
UK AIP AD-2 EGHJ-1-2 REFERS

EGHN
RAC : FROM 05/05/10 08:39 TO PERM L1446/05
E)ISLE OF WIGHT (SANDOWN) ATZ TEXT CHANGED
AMEND AD 2-EGHN-1-2 PARAGRAPH 2.17 SUB PARAGRAPH 1 TO READ
ISLE OF WIGHT/SANDOWN AERODROME TRAFFIC ZONE (ATZ)
CIRCLE RADIUS 2 NM CENTRED ON MID POINT OF THE LONGEST NOTIFIED RWY
(05/23) 503911N 0011056W, EXCEPT THAT PART OF THE CIRCLE NORTHEAST OF
A LINE JOINING 504100N 0010939W AND 503851N 0010748W.
AT PARAGRAPH 2.17 SUB PARAGRAPH 6 DELETE NOTE STARTING 'EXCEPT THAT
PART OF THE CIRCLE....
AT PARAGRAPH 2.22 SUB PARAGRAPH (A) DELETE THE WORDS 'AS THE ATZ
OVERLAPS BEMBRIDGE ATZ', THIS NOTE SHOULD START 'PILOTS WHOSE ARRIVAL
OR DEPARTURE...'.

Dan Dare
14th Jul 2005, 20:53
Yes, don't forget to read NOTAMs about subtle changes to the ATZs and who owns what airspace and what Nav-aids are available. I understand that the procedures remain unchanged though.

More imprtantly though is what to do and where to eat. I would highly recommend a trip to Bembridge just before lunch time. When you pay the landing fee ask for a map and follow that throught the caravan park to thre beach. If the tide is out walk southbound on the beach otherwise there is a nice costal path. After about half an hour you will get to "The Crab & Lobster", where you can enjoy a mountain of seafood for the price of 5 minutes flying (and look with envy at your non-flying buddies enjoying a pint) while listening to the waves getly lapping the shore below.

After all that food you will need to walk some weight off, so continue down the coast to the lifeboat station, where even a few minutes worth of flying fund would be welcomed by the RNLI. Bembridge village is nice in a "ye olde worlde" sort of way and worth seeing on the way to the country path through the woods and past the windmill on the way back to your flying steed.

If all that walking brings you out in a sweat then the 10 minute stroll to the same beach near caravan park gets you to an excellent bacon buttie and mug of tea. A truly british seaside activity worthy of anybody's knotted hankie and tank-top!

All in all Bembridge makes one of the best flying days out anywhere. I would love to hear similar stories of Sandown, but I have always found it a bit of a "has-been" seaside town, quite a long way from the airfield. PLEASE let me know if I've missed something.

bar shaker
14th Jul 2005, 21:05
Head south, when it gets blue, turn left.

Your pax will enjoy this route much more and I suspect you will too.

When coasting out from Selsey, ask Bembridge if they will call a taxi for you.

The Crab and Lobster stop doing lunch at 2pm

Alternatively the new restaurant at Sandown is fabulous. If you are really, really lucky, Dick Steele's daughter will be working there ;)

parris50
14th Jul 2005, 22:11
I seem to remember the joining procedure at Bembridge is non-standard. Check the AIP or flight guide first. Also, go high over the water in case the engine packs up!

Flybywyre
14th Jul 2005, 22:38
And if you like walking...............
Come out of Bembridge and turn left, follow the public footpath through the woods, past the Windmill, into Bembridge village centre and to the Lifeboat station for a cup of tea at the cafe. Then follow the coastal path (or beach if the tide is out) to Whitecliffe Bay for another cuppa, then follow the path up the hill to the Culver Haven pub where you will most likely need a cold drink and a rest. Then follow the coastal path down into Sandown and onto the pier for an icecream, then keep on going until you get to Shanklin. Walk as far as you can until you get to a steep hill at Shanklin Chine that takes you into the town. Follow the signs to the railway station then look for the passage way on the left of the station that takes you to the other side of the station into Languard Road, turn right and after about a quarter of a mile you will see a public footpath on your left going across some fields.....follow that untill you get to the main road, turn left and you will see the entrance to Sandown Airfield. Go in there for a cuppa and a very nice homemade cake...............
Then do the same again in reverse until you get to the Culver Haven, this time turn left at the monument across the fields until you get back to the Proppeller Inn, (on Bembridge Airfield) by which time you may need another cold drink.........
Only takes about 6 - 7 hours depending on how much of the route you decide to run instead of walk :ok:
I do it quite often ( I fly from White Waltham) but for some reason nobody wants to come with me anymore :confused:
Regards,
FBW

Mike Cross
14th Jul 2005, 22:51
Head south, when it gets blue, turn left.
Might be better to turn right methinks, otherwise you might end up somewhere like Boulogne:cool:

Mike

Tango Oscar
15th Jul 2005, 07:53
Went to IOW Sandown for the first time last weekend. Flew south from Rochester until we hit the coast then turned right. Dead easy nav, and a really fun flight.

Sandown's restaurant is great. I could have spent the entire day sitting on their decking, sipping a cold drink watching the aircraft come and go ( it was VERY busy). Hmmm maybe I'm just a bit sad.:{

distaff_beancounter
15th Jul 2005, 08:36
Have a look at Pilot for August. There is a whole article about the IOW with a pull-out map showing the ATZs, circuits & other info for both Sandown & Bembridge. :)

oliversarmy
15th Jul 2005, 09:13
Have been to Bembridge twice since getting the PPL in November 2004.

Although only a relatively short hop from my base (Shoreham) I found the reception extremely friendly, first trip arriving from the north on the westerly runway was allowed join right base, the second time on the easterly runway was allowed to join downwind left hand.

Bembridge can suffer from interesting winds from certain directions but my first trip it was blowing to my own limits and I didnt really find anything too challanging.

Ive called up while taxiing in for a taxi and it was there by the time we had shut down and strolled in to pay the landing fee.

An extremely warm welcome from everyone and very helpful even for a newbie PPL such as myself !!

OA

Blinkz
15th Jul 2005, 20:38
Thanks for all the info guys, its looking like I'll prob go to bembridge since I've not had a grass field checkout yet. I'll also have a good read about the procedures before hand, it'll be the first airfield I've been to solo without having been there with an FI first! Although I still have the problem about headsets so I'm not sure if i'll go or not. I'm not keen on taking two pax with no headsets.

Monocock
15th Jul 2005, 20:51
I'm sure you can find someone to lend you some spare headsets.

I can let you have a pair at no cost if it helps and I know Mike Cross has recently invested in a lovely pair of ANR Bose thatyou will be able to hire for £150 per day!!

Don't spoil a day for the sake of a headset or two...ask around, people will help out i'm sure

:ok:

Blinkz
15th Jul 2005, 21:31
Thanks for the offer monocock, much appreciated. The problem is that I'm new to the club, I've only had my checkout and a half hour solo flight doing circuits! so I don't know anyone to ask to borrow them, I was surprised that the club don't have the right amount for each plane they have! :uhoh:

I've got a pair of bose and I know that I wouldn't lend them out, they're too nice!

Blinkz
18th Jul 2005, 14:15
Hey guys,
I've slightly altered my plan now, due to financial considerations (gf can't afford it :}) I'll now be taking the tomahawk instead of the warrior to IoW, which meanss that at least I've only got a single headset to find!

Just looking at different options for routes. It would obviously be better to cross the solent at the shortest point, but that means going along way out of the way, I was thinking of just going across at portsmouth and routing straight for bembridge. Is that reasonable?

On the way back I'm not sure whether to just go back the way I came (with a quick trip out to the west to look at the needles) or whether to cross at the needles and route up between the bournemouth and soton CTRs. The route to the west looks more complicated and so I'm tempted to just keep it simple, since this is my first XC after PPL, and the first I've done not having flown the route first with a FI!

Also, with regards to crossing the solent, if I'm at a reasonable height, I should be fine to land clear if the engine should die, but should I take lifejackets just incase, or is this just abit over-kill for crossing a pretty narrow bit of water.

Sorry for all the questions, am just trying to gather all the info I can :ok:

mikeo
18th Jul 2005, 15:28
Hi Blinkz,

I've been many times to Bembridge. My tips would be:

1. Talk to Solent Radar.
2. Cimb to around 3000' in case the engine stops - but watch for the Solent airspace.
3. Go to the east of Portsmouth (plenty of clear areas) following the A3.
4. Look at the webcam for Bembridge airport (http://www.eghj.com/webcam/) before going to see what its like or just call them!

I've never taken any life jackets as I'd hope to glide to the nearest land side. There are also two forts a third of the way across from either side.

Have fun!

p.s. Can't believe that your club does not have enough headsets in the hire aircraft! I've never come across that before and I've been in 3 different clubs in different parts of the country!

bar shaker
18th Jul 2005, 15:42
Personally, I would cross from Hayling Island to Bembridge. I would rather ditch mid Solent than have a problem over Portsmouth as there really is no where to go but someone's loft.

If you cross at 4,000+ft, you can glide from the mid point between Bracklesham Bay and Bembridge, to either shore.

If you go over to the west of the island, just stay well clear of Solent's airspace, or request a transit. As its your first XC I'd keep it very simple and stay well clear of their horizontal and vertical boundaries.

I'd actually keep it simple for your first couple of trips, until you are totally happy with your own navigation skills.

If it all goes wrong, don't be afraid to get a position fix from 121.5. Hope you enjoy the trip, let us know how it goes.

Blinkz
18th Jul 2005, 16:03
Thanks for the tips guys, it pretty much confirms what I was thinking.

Do you guys think that the IoW is a little too challenging for my first xc trip? I didn't think it looked that bad, but maybe I should just stick to something a little closer to home :confused:

High Wing Drifter
18th Jul 2005, 17:47
Blinkz,

I have lost count of the number of things in aviation that seemed too hard/complicated/etc, but after the event I thought "that wasn't so bad". Seriously, this is not a difficult trip. Just make sure you give yourself some slack.

My advice for a route would be climb into the overhead of Blackbushe on departure, this will give you time to ask for an get an overhead transit and FIS from Farnborough. Then just route over Farnborogh to MID VOR, good VOR tracking praccy, but check position visually with the big 1000' hill that Haslemere sits against, very easy to see as you leave Farnborough. Then, as barshaker says, go to Bembridge via Hayling Island. Again, very very easy to identify from miles.

Just be aware of the joining procedure at Bembridge as it is non-standard and the circuit direction is variable. Consult Pooleys or the AIP and don't be hesitant to call before you finish your planning.

Monocock
18th Jul 2005, 19:11
To be perfectly honest, you can't get much simpler than "The Bushe" to Bembridge.

There is plenty of open airspace and I really wouldn't worry about the engine stopping just because it is within a mile or two of water.

When you have left Blackbushe's radio contact just flick to Solent and get a FIS until coasting in over Ryde pier and then call Bembridge.

It really is that simple and I am concerned that the infinitely various opinions that you are being given are just confusing the issue here.

Once you have done it you'll realise that this is a very simple trip indeed.

If it makes ytyou feel any better I went there in convoy with a certain BTCH on Sunday and although Solent were very busy they pretty much let us do whatever we wanted. It's a beautiful view across the Solent and out towards Bournemouth and it would be a shame if you didn't do it.

Blinkz
18th Jul 2005, 19:23
Thanks monocock, I'm gonna give it my best shot. Altho do you mean it would be as shame if i didn't go to the west on the return or that I don't do the trip full stop? lol.

Monocock
18th Jul 2005, 19:59
Take a nice simple track there and make the same nice simple reciprocal track on the return.

Don't worry yourself over lunch with the worry of a different return route. Just head back the way you came for simplicity and confidence building familiarity.

If it goes wrong i'll eat a mouse

Blinkz
18th Jul 2005, 20:18
lol well I'll try doubly hard to make a mistake!! Can I choose the mouse? :E

Monocock
18th Jul 2005, 20:24
Oops, that was the Parkinsons kicking in again that made me omit an "s".

That'll be "mousse" and my favourite flavour is chocolate!

Blinkz
18th Jul 2005, 21:21
yea yea monocock :suspect: :}

As to the procedure at bembridge, I've check the AIP and its seems to be OHJ unless the gliders are active, in which case you fly along the runway at 1500ft QFE until the far end and then turn and decend into the crosswind leg of the circuit? Is my read of it correct? Circuit directions are set as 12-LH 30-RH i.e always to the north. That right? I don't have a VFR flight guide, I'm going to be starting my commercial training soon and so all my VFR flying for the next year or so will probably be in the US, hence making any VFR guide I buy now useless! (and out of date when I come back!)

Thanks again for everyones help, its really appreciated and helps build the confidence!

Leezyjet
19th Jul 2005, 15:45
I went from Popham to Bembridge a few weeks back. It was my first flight since passing my PPL, but I took an instructor as I had not flown in the UK before.

We flew under solent CTA until we got to Portsmouth harbour, flew straight down the middle of it whilst climbing to 3000ft then straight across the Solent. I'd recommend flying down the harbour, it was a great view. One of the a/c carriers was in dock too with a nice empty flight deck - handy for emergency landings. :E

We then flew a high downwind, before over flying the runway at 1500ft, then turning right joining the circuit on the crosswind over the river for 30. The approach was very bumpy with a 15kt x-wind blowing down the hill next to the runway which caused a bit of wind sheer over the threshold - it was my g/f's first flight with me too, but the instuctor seemed impressed with the landing even though my g/f wasn't.

Only stayed there for 30 mins though so no walking, then departed straight ahead off 30 to Ryde, then turned and flew along the coast to the needles, did an orbit then crossed back over the solent over the lighthouse/fort then up over Lymington to Stoney Cross, then to Chilbolton with a MATZ transit then back to Popham.

Was a great little taster of what flying in the UK is like, and it was a fairly easy flight too although I'm not used to flying so low over here after being up at FL55 in SA in a 152 !!.

:)

TCAS FAN
19th Jul 2005, 16:06
Sorry, don't agree with Mikeo, ref calling Solent. Below is an entry from another current thread, "Solent FIS", which asks what Solent can for you. Bottom line is, if they are busy, nothing!

Suggest you make your en-route altitude 2800-2900 FT (or below that if it would stop you maintaining VMC) on the Southampton QNH. You'll be too far east for Bournemouth offer a service, too short a flight to get a service from London. Stay east/under the Solent CTA stub (base 3000 FT) and enjoy the flying, your are outside controlled airspace with nobody telling you what to do.

Call Bembridge Radio at the coast.

"Solent have no obligation to provide any service to aircraft outside their controlled airspace, whether it be outside the Control Zone or CTA. They are paid by the airport operator to provide service to aircraft arriving and departing Southampton. Due to having controlled airspace, they are obliged to provide a service to other aircraft crossing it.

As someone who is inside their controlled airspace, trying to get a word in on an overloaded frequency, with all and sundry outside, who thought that it might be a good idea to make a courtesy call, my advice is listen out on their frequency, if they are obviously busy and you are intending to stay outside, do just that and give them a wide berth, please don't call them. If you are transitting under their CTA, get their current QNH from their ATIS (113.350) and use it, not the regional QNH, to stay below the published base level, not at it.

When it comes to providing a service outside, Bournemouth are a LARS Unit, and are paid to provide such service by CAA. They primarily provide radar services outside controlled airspace, but can provide FIS to aircraft outside controlled airspace.

The primary provider of FIS is of course London on 124.75, but in theorey only. No way can they, with one frequency covering most of southern England, provide it to all comers."

bar shaker
19th Jul 2005, 18:53
We flew under solent CTA until we got to Portsmouth harbour, flew straight down the middle of it whilst climbing to 3000ft then straight across the Solent. I'd recommend flying down the harbour, it was a great view.

Its a lovely view. Please tell us where you would have gone if the engine failed. As a new PPL, the answer will obviously be fresh in your mind.

One of the a/c carriers was in dock too with a nice empty flight deck - handy for emergency landings.

Forget the first bit, you have totally reassured me in stating that you only need 120m.

Heaven help the students of the instructor.

Leezyjet
19th Jul 2005, 19:47
bar shaker,

I don't know what you are getting at, but I had an instructor with me who was telling me what to do and where to go and he has flown this route hundreds of time before.

We could always have gone into Gosport if the engine had gone, and incase you didn't notice the :E after the comment about the a/c carrier, it was a joke !.

:ok:

Stripholderloader
23rd Jul 2005, 11:21
How did the trip go ?

Blinkz
23rd Jul 2005, 11:42
Hey guys,
Still not gone yet, am planning on going this coming tuesday! fingers crossed for weather!

Am going to sit down this weekend and finalise all my plans and get my log done. I'll post if I have anymore questions. Thanks for your support.

Monocock, well if that c152 can do it I'll put the carrier as my alternate :E

Gingerbread Man
24th Jul 2005, 21:56
As advice, I would offer the following - Don't go from Blackbushe. I visited it on my QXC and found it a rather irksome and unfriendly place (except for the chaps in the tower), but I may have just had a bad experience. I flew to Bembridge as my first dual XC but from Thruxton. Seemed fairly straight forward - if it's a good day you'll be able to see Bembridge for most of the journey. Just talk to Solent and the rest is easy. If you're flexible with times you could try looking at the departure schedule for Southampton to give an indication of when the airport will be less busy and therefore when they may be more willing to let you fly where you please. Just a thought. Enjoy!

Ginge ;)