PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to Oshkosh?

Scott Voigt
14th Jul 2005, 01:41
I was just wondering if anyone here was going to Oshkosh at the end of the month?? I am going to be there a few days working at the NATCA booth...

regards

Scott

bigmanatc
14th Jul 2005, 05:53
Too much of a hassle to get a visa........

atcea.com
14th Jul 2005, 11:07
I won't be able to get away from the sunny Caribbean for this year's show, but have enjoyed it many times in the past.

In the early '90s, a group of us controllers invited a bunch of Russian controllers to visit Oshkosh with us. It was in the early "glasnost" days, and about 25 of them, along with a "journalist" (can you say, "KGB"?), were able to attend. We picked them up at ORD - had to "sign" for them, actually - and spent a week at the airshow and then around the Chicago area visiting ATC facilities and controllers' families. It was great fun!

One of the ATC visitors, a fellow in his 60s, nearly wept in Oshkosh at the sight of a fully restored MIG-15. Seems he'd flown them in Korea in the early '50s...
---
The Lucky Vector Pub (http://atcea.com)

Unable Due Traffic
14th Jul 2005, 19:03
Me and and a collegue will be there. We will stop by to say hi. Where is the NATCA booth this year?

foghorn
14th Jul 2005, 19:56
Been threatening to for a few years. Still not made it yet :( Maybe next year.

EddieHeli
14th Jul 2005, 21:11
Been every year since 95 except for last year. Going again this year to get over the withdrawal symptoms. Never ceases to amaze me, and am really looking forward to it.
will drop by the NATCA Booth and say hi.

Scott Voigt
16th Jul 2005, 04:54
NATCA booth should be in the same place as always (watch them move it now.) which is on the other side of the road by the old control tower (between the control tower and the FAA hangar.).

regards

Scott

NATCA BNA
16th Jul 2005, 05:14
Regretfully I won't be able to make it to OSH either, I'm really going to miss it.

Mike R
NATCA BNA

positionand hold
17th Jul 2005, 06:29
With you there Mike - I also will not make it this year, but it was nice to meet you last year, before you moved south (seems to be raining quite a bit in BNA at present!).

I did not know you would be there Scott, or I would have re-scheduled my annual US visit to include Oshkosh (too early this year, I am busy enjoying some splendid flying in AZ as we speak) - I really value you PPRuNe input on US ATC issues.

All UK pilots must visit Oshkosh at least once - it really is unique (but a heck of a place to get to).

Scott Voigt
17th Jul 2005, 12:21
Position and Hold, you need to come to the Dallas / Fort Worth area some time...

regards

Scott

Farrell
17th Jul 2005, 13:23
"All UK pilots must visit Oshkosh at least once - it really is unique (but a heck of a place to get to)"

LHR - ORD - MSN and then a drive to Oshkosh (2 hours?)

No problem!

fernytickles
17th Jul 2005, 14:02
Make that "everyone with an interest in aviation should get to Oshkosh at least once". Especially this year.

O'Hare to Oshkosh is 2.5 hours drive - we do it every time we go home. Or fly from O'Hare to Appleton, 25 mins from Oshkosh.

Any pink shirts working this year, I'm flying "Photo 2" again, and really appreciate the job you folks do - it is just amazing.

Glacier Girl is arriving this evening :) I saw 3 aircraft tied down on the Vintage parking earlier this week, and numerous hard working volunteers melting in the heat getting things ready.

Only a week to go, see you at the International Party :ok:

Marty-Party
17th Jul 2005, 14:35
I'll be there. Jumping over to IAD and then meeting up with a couple of mates in Virginia to fly up in a Cherokee 6. Camping out for a few days so we can drink beer and watch the show.

We went a few years back and thought it was great. The organisation of all the inbound and departing traffic was staggering! Well done to all involved ..........................

(Anyone planning to fly there MUST read all the info on the Airventure web site etc)

NATCA BNA
17th Jul 2005, 21:49
Position and Hold,

I regret that we didn't get the chance to toss back a few cold drinks last year, but I agree that it was great meeting you. We have been having a lot of thunderstorms but they should be moving on. If you ever make it to Nashville look me up, you can stay at my house, and we can cook steaks out on the deck.

Oshkosh is truly the premier general aviation event of the world, on a normal year there are well over 12,000 aircraft that fly into Oshkosh for the week long event, the antique and classic aircraft are just unbelieveable to see, and most of them have been restored to their origional pristine condition.

Mike

atcea.com
18th Jul 2005, 11:54
For anyone who hasn't heard this audio clip of ATC at OSH:
"Busy day in the tower" (http://atcea.com/audio/osh1.wav)

throw a dyce
18th Jul 2005, 23:37
Scott,
We've just had 15 French lighties stage through Ice Station Zebra enroute Oshkosh.
Speak English Non,Brief themselves to entry/exit lanes Non,Understand ATC instructions Non,Get totally lost on the ground and cause complete chaos Yes Yes Yes
Good luck to ATC there,if they ever find America.I think some have only got an AA road map:uhoh:

Scott Voigt
19th Jul 2005, 01:43
Well they ought to be interesting in trying to get in the line to land <G>. I hope that they get there real early so that they don't have to be there iin the chaos... Otherwise it could get REAL ugly <G>...

regards

Scott

ATCEA\'

That\'s an older recording... They have colored spots painted on the runway now to help the pilots know where they are supposed to land <G>... They get the "cleared to land on the BLUE spot." now as well as other colors. It is a true art watching that zoo in action, not to mention the VFR approach control with NO radar <G>... All the sequencing is done from a bunch of contollers in a portable tower with binocs and calling sequence to the folks coming over the reporting point and then sequence for the different runways....

reagrds

Scott

positionand hold
20th Jul 2005, 06:04
Thanks for the very kind offer Mike. Stayed at the Red Roof across from BNA last year, so next time I will call.

Just learnt I am free in LAX on 30th July Scott, so some rapid and hopeful calculations are being made, in case I can get to OSH before close of play on 31st.

P&H