PDA

View Full Version : PPL Theory

november.sierra
12th Jul 2005, 21:23
Can anyone give me some information regarding the required theory for a JAA PPL. Basically, is a time scale of 6 weeks enough to go from 0 to obtaining a PPL realistic and what is to be expected for the ground school element, i.e. is it hard to largely self study and how intensive is the theory?

Finally, is the PPL confuser enough for a textbook or would you recommend something more substantial?

Whirlygig
12th Jul 2005, 21:32
Does the six weeks include flying? If so, it's tight but do-able. Depends on your technical knowledge beforehand as to how quickly you pick it all up.

Why six weeks? Are you planning on going abroad to do the flying trainig? If so, you can do some exams in advance at any local flying school before you go overseas.

I wouldn't recommend just using the PPL confuser; everything you need is in either the Trevor Thom books or those by Jeremy Pratt.

Cheers

Whirlygig

hemac
13th Jul 2005, 07:51
Before starting my PPL(H) I thought I would take some time off work and breeze it in a matter of weeks.
I initially took 9 days off in order to get a good head start. By the end of the 9 days I was exhausted.
Now I am quite a practical person who picks things up easily but when the staff advise you of a realistic time scale my advice would be to take their advice.

H

justsomepilot
13th Jul 2005, 09:21
Most people, as far as I know, don't get any ground school worth mentioning, so clearly one can self study the JAA PPL.

The four Trevor Thom books are the standard approach, and the PPL Confuser is absolutely well worth getting.

How long it takes depends mostly on the weather, also on how young the pilot is. The older, the longer it takes.

Evil J
13th Jul 2005, 21:21
n.s,

I know someone who will get you through to a very high standard and in relatively short order (maw 1 week) provided you go prepared. PM if you'd like more details

6 weeks should be plenty provided you prepare properly, go to the right school and get the right instructor(s).

I went from nought to PPL (including all the groundschool) in 3 weeks, my brother did all the flying in 12 days (and the groundschool only took him an additional 4 days) and no that wasnt in the US, I did mine in Kent and my bro' did his in Scotland...it can be done

jameslongworth
14th Jul 2005, 11:41
With a full set of Thoms and some cramming from the PPL confuser you should breeze through the exams - I failed air law though which was the only one I sat before I had the confuser. A moral there...

Good luck with it!