PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

night hawk 150
11th Jul 2005, 20:39
hi guys/girls

i am a student pilot with 4.5 hours training i am going up for a pleasure flight with a friend on sunday and will be in the right hand seat.

what sort of thing's do you think i should do to help her while flying.

first pleasure flight hence why i am asking.

the lady i am going up with is really nice and friendly and should be a great day.

i have said i will pay for some landings and lucnh oh yeah and coffee.

going up in a C152

regards
Craig

topcat450
11th Jul 2005, 21:03
To be honest, with only 4.5 hours just try to enjoy it. I'd keep a good look out for other a/c, and shout them out when spotted. Also I'd ask her what the intended route is before you set off, mark it up on your chart too and just look out the window - see if you can nav and spot ground features whilst you've not got the pressure of trying to fly straight, level and at a set speed.

nick14
11th Jul 2005, 21:06
I have been up with a few mates and they all have their preferences.

Some like you to fly sometimes, some like you to help with high workload times like reading checklists to them and such.

ASK BEFORE HAND!! she will tell you wether she wants the help!!

You can do things like keep a good look out for her for aircraft, landmarks etc.

DON"T do anything that she wouldn't be expecting like play with the flaps on takeoff if you think that they need retracting because you could scare her.

Have fun is probably the most important thing!

Drop into leicester i will be there!!!!

Very nice food and drink!!

Buckle up :ok:
Nick

night hawk 150
11th Jul 2005, 21:13
hey nick

my god boy you do get around don't you ( well i dont mean it in that way but hey i might be right) :ok:

i will have a word in her ear prior to setting off and you never know she might take a trip up to you anyway if we do get up that neck of the woods how do i find you i still dont know what you look like.

craig:sad:

ShyTorque
11th Jul 2005, 22:23
I don't think you should expect anyone to take command on her first pleasure flight, especially as you only have 4.5 hours yourself. :uhoh:

Oh, I see what you mean......!

;)

QDMQDMQDM
11th Jul 2005, 22:33
nick14,

I cannot imagine how anyone needs help to read checklists in flight in something like a Cessna 152. You shouldn't be reading checklists in flight! And as for retracting flaps unasked for by the pilot, the very thought that anyone would do that is beyond belief.

QDM

BroomstickPilot
12th Jul 2005, 07:09
Student~C150~Ipswich,

Don't try to help the pilot. Few private pilots are used to having copilots and this could cause dangerous confusion. Furthermore, with so few hours you are likely to be a hindrance rather than a help anyway.

I would say do as Topcat450 suggests, follow the navigation. Learning to identify locations on the ground is a skill that is vitally important to you and takes time and practice to acquire. The more practice, the better.

In addition, listen hard to all the radio traffic. Later in your course you will be talking to busy ATCOs at many stations. It is vitally important to be able to understand their voices over the R/T and to learn to use the 'spoken shorthand' of aviation speak fluently yourself.

Above all, enjoy it,

Good luck, Kid.

Broomstick.