PDA

View Full Version : Strange Aircraft / Silverstone

Maxflyer
10th Jul 2005, 19:40
I have just returned from an enjoyable weekend at Silverstone with Mrs MF, we watched the usual hordes of helicopters, but on Sat PM and shorthly after today's F1 Grand Prix there was a large twin engined bi-plane relatively low and more peculiarly it had no visible wing markings.

Anyone shed any light?

It looked like something Howard Hughes could have come up with!

treadigraph
10th Jul 2005, 19:50
The Vickers Vimy? Or a Dragon Rapide?

matspart3
10th Jul 2005, 20:06
It was the Vimy...(Google Vimy Steve Fossett for details) Made an approach at Silverstone before landing at Turweston. Nearly fell of my chair when I saw it, although that could be alcohol related.:O

Was going to pop in to Turweston on the way home, but as I sat in the campsite exit queue, it departed.

Maxflyer
10th Jul 2005, 20:19
How come it didn't have any wing markings?

matspart3
10th Jul 2005, 20:42
I'm guessing now, but I suspect it's US registered. I have a vague idea that the FAA doesn't require registration to be carried under the wing

treadigraph
11th Jul 2005, 07:03
Yep US registered and no US requirement to carry an underwing - stops people claiming "it was so low I got me the varmit's number"!

Gyr
11th Jul 2005, 08:27
Believe it or not they have just flown that clean across the Atlantic (it did not come in a crate). Took a good look at it yesterday and it appears to be powered by two large Chevy like engines. Fantasic.

aerobatic_dude
11th Jul 2005, 19:31
Got a look at th eVimy when it stopped in here for 800litres of Avgas