PDA

View Full Version : Area 51

tb10er
8th Jul 2005, 12:16
My colleague and I were discussing Area 51 and I made the comment that it does not exist! (as I understand, it does not appear on maps) - This got me thinking, if it doesn't appear on maps, what is there to stop me from hiring an aircraft from say Las Vegas, getting checked out, and then jetting off into the desert. Not that I am visiting Las Vegas or the USA.

Who knows, I may end up taking photos of the desert landscape and it's flaura, fauna, and it's habitations.

Or maybe I shouldn't be asking this question at all!!!!

DaveW
8th Jul 2005, 12:22
What's to stop you?

A complex of Restricted Airspace (R-4808E (http://www.abovetopsecret.com/pages/aeronautical.html)), and the might of the United States Air Force*.

Apart from that, fill yer boots! :E

*and their Alien Allies.

Rupert S
8th Jul 2005, 14:43
The US govermnent acknowledged the existence of a military base on the site of "Area 51" some time ago.

topcat450
8th Jul 2005, 15:23
If you go to:

http://maps.google.com/

and then search for…

Little a'Le Inn Rachel, Nevada

Now click on the ‘satellite’ button in the top right hand corner. Now if you scroll the map to the west… and zoom in on the south side of a large white salt-lake bed you’ll see an airbase which doesn’t appear on any maps… this is the infamous Area 51

Genghis the Engineer
8th Jul 2005, 15:37
Out of curiosity I just took out the current Las Vegas sectional.

Where you describe the "airbase, not shown on any map", it shows a "Private" and "Unverified" Airport, and "towers". There's also a small note saying "Prior approval required from Dept. of Energy" but no contact number or frequency.

Which basically means that there's a government airfield there which doesn't want uninvited guests - but we probably knew that :}

Every government has places like this, but that doesn't make them any less fascinating to the nosey observer.

G

tb10er
8th Jul 2005, 15:37
thanks, just curious

KCDW
8th Jul 2005, 21:56
A couple of colleagues of mine actually tracked it down, and drove up to the front gate. Apparently there were lots of intimidating signs, and guards who told them to b*gger off... which they did fairly sharpish.

Love to know what they are hiding.

Keygrip
9th Jul 2005, 02:52
Love to know what they are hiding
I did ask, once, at a US Army base in West Germany. I was told it was "Nunya".

As in "Nunya god-damned business".

Fair enough (but they were in the British sector, Sir).

slim_slag
9th Jul 2005, 09:07
Lots of restricted airspace around there but you are allowed in with the permission of the controlling agency, but over Groom Lake it's listed as 'NO A/G'. There is a trip report here (http://www.serve.com/mahood/nellis/flight.htm) by somebody who rented a cessna and flew around the area, together with route map. According to the sectional there are 'simulated airfields utilized as bombing targets' and you are advised that there maybe unexploded ordinance, and landing is at your own risk :ok:

IRRenewal
9th Jul 2005, 09:38
In addition to the link to Google maps, you could download Google Earth (http://earth.google.com) and 'fly' to 37d14'09"N, 115d47'34"W You'll have to zoom out a bit, and there it is.

Fascinating bit of software by Google and good for hours of fun!

Maybe we can start a thread with coordinates of nice/interesting/forbidden places to have a look at?

Cheers

Gerard

IO540
9th Jul 2005, 10:18
The USA does need a place to do secret aircraft testing, so this place is no suprise. If they have alien bodies, they won't be stuffed, on display above ground where NASA can photograph them :O

Penguina
9th Jul 2005, 14:18
No one who posted at the beginning of this thread seems to have returned to it today...

:hmm: ;)

tb10er
9th Jul 2005, 16:10
still here, they haven't got me .......yet

FlyingV
9th Jul 2005, 16:41
Google Earth comes with a ready made bookmark which brings you straight to Area 51!

My names Turkish
14th Jul 2005, 18:33
There is a guy in the US that goes snooping around Area 51 and found himself a way to hike up onto them there hills surrounding. He had with him a telephoto lens that was about 6 feet long attached to his Camcorder.Its been on some of those Cable Programmes, you know "the worlds most amazing home videos" Its very hazy as the heat haze over the great distances results in a bit of wobbles. He filmed a few nice juicy bits, including the take off and landings of what experts reckon are some Russian Migs (Can't reember which numbers) which they probably got their Mitts on when a few ruskis defected.

MLS-12D
15th Jul 2005, 02:18
There is a guy in the US that goes snooping around Area 51 and found himself a way to hike up onto them there hills surrounding. He had with him a telephoto lens that was about 6 feet long attached to his Camcorder.Best to be careful doing things like that (especially in cowboy country). I remember what happened to Mick Travis (http://www.britmovie.co.uk/directors/l_anderson/filmography/01.html) when he tried it: armed soldiers appear out of nowhere, black bag over the head, hussled off to an underground room, let the torture-assisted interrogation begin! :uhoh: