PDA

View Full Version : Islay Accomodation

dublinpilot
7th Jul 2005, 20:46
I may be flying to Islay this weekend.

I am trying to find some quality accomodation for Saturday night.

The Port Charlotte Hotel, & The Harbour Inn are both booked out.

Can anyone recomond somewhere else that's of good quality?

Price isn't really an issue, but quality will be.

Thanks.

dp

Genghis the Engineer
7th Jul 2005, 22:45
I've been there once, the local tourist office were brilliant - found me accomodation (despite it all being rather busy) with great effect - and very comfortable it was too.

There's also a car-hire next to the airport, pretty much essential. I seem to remember (2004) paying about £30/day for a Mondeo. Again I organised that by phone from the local tourist office, who I can't fault.

G

helicopter-redeye
8th Jul 2005, 07:24
I remember looking at this about a year ago and turning up some good places close to the airport via a Google search.

Also remember the HIAL OOH permission as Islay is'nt open much as w/e

h-r:)

2Donkeys
8th Jul 2005, 07:44
You've named the good ones DublinPilot. If you do opt to stay somewhere else, make sure you still go to the Harbour Inn for a meal. It was fantastic last time I visited.

As a note in the margin, Scott, the owner and chef was looking to sell up last time I stayed there, with a view to moving back to the mainland. I don't know if that has now happened or not, but it would be interesting to get a PIREP on whether or not the food has suffered.

If it turns out that you can't find a decent place on Islay, consider the idea of basing yourself in Oban instead. Within 10 minutes or so of Oban is the Lerags House Hotel (http://www.leragshouse.com). This little gem should fit the bill nicely

2D

BigStu
8th Jul 2005, 09:58
Scott has indeed moved on, and although the service remains as good as ever, the food is not what it used to be. Although still very good.

For the best menu on Islay go to the Bowmore Hotel. The rooms are very basic, to say the least, but the food is out of this world.

dublinpilot
8th Jul 2005, 10:59
Thanks guys,

Genghis,

I've got a list of places with possible vacancies from the tourist board, and will get busy calling 'em over lunch. Top tip!

Heli Red-eye,

I've got my indemnity sorted, thanks. (Actually getting it sorted, was one reason for picking Islay for this weekend ;) ) It's actually very easy to get. Just fill up their form, pay 'em £25 and get it back the say day :)

2d's,

That place that you recommended in Oban looks lovely. Unfortunately it's also booked up Saturday night. But I think I might keep a note of it for future reference; it looks lovely :ok:

Assuming I can get one of these guest houses on Islay, I'll make a dinner booking at the Bowmore. Thanks BigStu. I'd also heard good things about the food at the Port Charlotte Hotel. Are they to be believed?

Thanks for your help people. Much appreciated.
:ok: :ok:

dp