PDA

View Full Version : Favoured Flight Calc

Helios_nz
7th Jul 2005, 10:59
Hey all

I just accidentally mashed my Techstar into the concrete floor and need a replacement :( I notice there's now another choice yah! The ASA CX-2 Pathfinder. It’s a bit more pricey, but is it worth it? What do you guys use and recommend?!

Thanks guys

PS plz I don’t really want to spark up the whole “whizz wheel vs. flight calc” debate – if anyone dares to admit that by using a whizz-wheel to complete an IFR flight log they won’t be completely owned by a person using a flight calc c’mon and get reeeaal!!:)

-IBLB-
7th Jul 2005, 18:50
The asa works fine, the jepp too.

I have a asa, but never use it. I use my whizzwheel, also for ifr flight logs ;-)
I have one with a wind arm. I am quicker with it, than i am with the asa, but that has probably to do with the fact that i am used to it.

-IBLB-

Piltdown Man
8th Jul 2005, 09:05
Sine/Cosine = reduce that to 0, 0.5, 0.7, 0.9 & 1.0 (For 0, 30, 45, 60 & 90 degrees) so that's the scientific bit done. For rest I use the cheapest calculator money can buy (current one £2.00 bought in Tandy nine years ago) if mental maths can't figure it out quicker. To be any more accurate would require more accurate forecasts, performance data, aircraft weights, instrumentation and pilots etc... And would it make a difference in the long run to have a posher calculator? I think not!

A saying I've heard recently which applies here is "Measured with a micrometer, marked with chalk and chopped with an axe."