PDA

View Full Version : Dunkerque

SATCO Biggin
7th Jul 2005, 09:35
Anyone offer advice on visiting Dunkerque (LFAK)?

I am planning to go there at the end of August and wondered if anyone has found any 'traps' lying in wait for the unwary. :(

The map of the area seems to be fairly well criss-crossed in airspace and training areas.
Regards

SATCO

2Donkeys
7th Jul 2005, 09:52
Dunkerque is a nice little field.

The biggest trap is that it is not available for foreign aircraft to land at. In fact, only aircraft based in a few of the local French Departements can use it at all.

I'm guessing that you were aware of that and have found a way around the restriction. If so, beyond that biggie, not too many traps. Be aware that no customs service is available, so you will need to clear inbound and outbound via Le Touquet or Calais. If Calais, you need to make sure that you fax your details to the number in the AIP 24 hours before the flight (both directions).

Watch out also for the Nuclear Power station to the east of Calais at Gravelines.

The airspace looks worse than it is. Weekdays, reckon on working Calais followed by Koksijde. Weekends, you are more likely to work Calais followed by Ostend, who give a passable impression of a RIS, even to VFR traffic.

Look out for some serious microlighting action to the North of the main strip. There is a school there for tent pilots, so they don't always stick to the pattern!

SATCO Biggin
7th Jul 2005, 11:58
2D

Thanks for the info. I have been invited to take the Yak to the 'Fete de l'air 2005' that they are organising so I am assuming the 'no foreign aircraft' restriction is lifted for that event.

...or maybe I shouldn't assume anything. :hmm:

As the Yak is on a UK Permit to Fly I also have to get permission from DGAC to take it over there, so a lot of advance planning is required.

Regards

SATCO

2Donkeys
7th Jul 2005, 12:10
SATCO

The usage restrictions are a little more specific than I implied in my first post.

Dunkerque is not a publicly licensed aerodrome. Unlike the UK, the business of licensed or unlicensed refers to who may legally land there. With a very few exceptions, landing an aircraft in France other than at a publically licensed aerodrome is an offence in its own right.

Many smaller aerodromes in France are "licensed for restricted use", which allows them to avoid meeting the full ATC/FISO/FSS and other requirements that the French impose. The downside is the use of such aerodromes tends to be restricted to based aircraft and those operating from similar fields with a reciprocal arrangement in the same region. Dunkerque is just such an example.

Presumably, the aerodrome administrators have obtained a waiver from the regional DGAC for the event that you have been invited to. It would definitely be worth your while checking though and getting some written confirmation before flying.

It is a great little aerodrome, and well worth the visit if you do get the chance.

2D

SATCO Biggin
7th Jul 2005, 17:54
The airspace looks worse than it is. Weekdays, reckon on working Calais followed by Koksijde. Weekends, you are more likely to work Calais followed by Ostend, who give a passable impression of a RIS, even to VFR traffic.

Having done a bit of online research of the French AIP, Supps and NOTAMS etc I find that the Gravelines ZIT is smack bang on my planned track. Oh deep joy. Looks like I will have to dig out my trusty handheld GPS rather than just eyeball it down the coast as I would prefer.

Dunkerque is listed as 'Usage Restreint' so I have E mailed for confirmation that this has been dropped for the event.

Would I be drummed off the forum if I infringed something? :sad:

2Donkeys
7th Jul 2005, 18:10
We might have to have a forum fly-out to visit you inside a French nick :D

SATCO Biggin
8th Jul 2005, 08:01
Just as a final pass on this subject, and perhaps for the info of other forumites, I have received this note back form Dunkerque

"usage restreint" means that you need ask clearance before coming (by letter or phone) (it's because we have no TOWER)

And as we invite you to come, you'll be welcome with pleasure.

For further information, we never refuse when pilots ask for clearance to come and visit us.

We remain at your disposal for further information

So it would appear that anyone can fly in there so long as you have asked.

Regards

2Donkeys
8th Jul 2005, 08:09
Great news SATCO.

Usage Retreint simply means "Restricted Use", and the terms under which that can be relaxed vary by each aeronautical district and by each field.

It sounds like Dunkerque has got the most relaxed interpretation I've ever come across - but so much the better, it is a great place to go and the flight along the beaches there is very evocative.

2D