PDA

View Full Version : Fam flights for ATCOs

Frunobulax
6th Jul 2005, 20:22
Just thought of it reading the other topic: are you really not allowed to do fam flights as UK ATCOs anymore?
I'm quite surprised, these flights are still alive in Poland (which doesn't mean that security level down here is lower), I only wished that aircrews were more keen to come and see the live ATC job :(

blue21
6th Jul 2005, 21:16
hi there,the same in GER. I had my last famflight in the late 90`s. I think it is´nt the problem with the security only.As far as I know pilots like to have have ATCO´s in the cockpit(cause of the shortcuts :)) ? ).No, I guess its the workload pilots have nowadays. On the other hand,in poland you have not that much companies like in GER or GB...who should make the decision which comp to take??
btw...are you ATCO in EPWA/PO? want to talk?
rgds JJ from EDDI

Frunobulax
6th Jul 2005, 21:24
PATA has an agreement with Lot and its twin companies (regional - Eurolot and charter - Centralwings), so all the ATCOs can take a jumpseat basically whenever they want.

I work at EPPO, we do occasionally have some GA traffic to EDDI. Dauair will only fly to Berlin until the end of summer timetable, unfortunately :( Too good a train connection I believe...

flower
6th Jul 2005, 21:58
We do get Fam flights, had one only last month.

blue21
6th Jul 2005, 22:04
djen dobry...the problem is....we had our famflights in former times with lufthansa...but I guess a lot of german comps couldnt accept that german atcos perform famflights only with one comp...so DLH stopped the system...
but EPPO means you are working in EPWA??
whats your meaning about the cooperation with RHINE-RADAR...the former BERLIN-RADAR?Better....equal...or more worst then before???
see ya blue21

Frunobulax
7th Jul 2005, 08:41
No, EPPO means I work at EPPO ;) We only make any coord (if any) throughy EPWW ACC, not by ourselves...

MrApproach
7th Jul 2005, 08:51
In Australia ATCO can get famil flight with QANTAS on domestic flights. However is limited to out and back on same day, no overnight and requires visit to ATC facility or airline at intermediate point. Also requires day off roster (ho-ho-ho!) or do it in own time.

Smudge's Lot
7th Jul 2005, 08:52
At Britannia, oopps sorry, ThomsonFly, FAM flights for all ATCO's are under way.
I have a contact name if anyone wants it.

Skase Jnr
7th Jul 2005, 11:21
Mr Approach,

Over night Auckland Jump Seat Emirates
3 litres duty free.
Ye Hah.

It will be my first one since listening to a now unemployed Ansett 733 captain who lived at Sandringham deciding which Sydney suburb to buy his next waterfront investment property in.

This time I will be able to ask captain what it is like to live in the sand pit.

Apply before they stop them again. Especially now there is a terrorist threat again! (Sympathy to Londoners)

Skase Jnr
Too good to be true

M609
7th Jul 2005, 12:19
In Norway, controllers are entiteled to one fam flight on SAS&Braathens, Wideroe and RNoAF C130 each year. (One on each)

AFISOs can get a fam flight with Wideroe airline on the STOL airports.

Still, I have taken a ride om jumpseat on flights I or my employer have paid for as well, just asked at the gate. (Beats sitting crammed into cattle class for hrs, as I displace a lot of air...... :O )

BarTT
7th Jul 2005, 13:35
We get Fam flights with most Airlines out of LPL, you just need ID and a few weeks notice!