PDA

View Full Version : APU use landing on Contaminated Rwys

nnc0
6th Jul 2005, 17:11
The reason for this has been lost in history somewhere but our company's A320 SOP winter supplement suggests "consider use of APU and CONT IGN when landing on contaminated runways. (This is before touchdown)

CONT IGN is obvious but why APU and for what purpose?
- I thought that perhaps it presents a lower risk of ingesting runway de-icing fluid into the A/C with BLEEDS on APU but then why not just state BLEEDS on APU?

Any thoughts on what I'm missing here?

oldebloke
6th Jul 2005, 22:36
Maybe it's a hangover from the fact that there have been a couple of inadvertent engine 'spooldowns after using reverse on slushy runways..One can always 'crossbleed' start (if required?)or use the APU...I saw'if required'becuse one wouldn't live with the one shutdown taxiing in slush conditions to the gate...cheers :ok:

MrBernoulli
9th Jul 2005, 14:35
Use the APU to take over any electrics and/or air bleeds 'dumped' by an engine that gives up in a wet, slushy landing?

Some aircraft need 2 main generators (engine/APU/ground power unit) to support ALL usual electric loads otherwise some stuff will be load-shed. Having that happen in the middle of a tricky wet landing is probably not fun.