PDA

View Full Version : What kind of approach light is this?

kuobin
5th Jul 2005, 15:12
Hello guys:
Just find LFPB is equipped with "VIBAL" on their runways ,is this is a kind of approach light or what?
tks:rolleyes:

TheOddOne
5th Jul 2005, 15:30
koubin

Good question, well put!

VIBAL Visibilité balise Runway-marker visibility

The above is from the French AIP.

The problem for me is, I haven't the faintest idea what they mean by 'Runway-marker visibility'.

Doesn't sound like anything I've seen in ICAO Annex 14. Anyone know better than me? I don't like being stumped by something like this!

Perhaps my employer will send me on a trip to LFPB to find out - not!

Cheers,
The Odd One

NavMonkey
6th Jul 2005, 11:50
From my (well Googles actually) dodgy command of French it looks like a means for either the MET observer or the pilot to manually establish a touchdown RVR in foggy conditions by using sodium lights spaced 50m apart located near to the threshold.

Cheers, NM

pigboat
6th Jul 2005, 19:55
Years ago, the French postal system used to use the Fokker F-27/Fairchild FA-227 on overnight mail delivery. The landing limits were 50 and 1/8 or some such figure - shades of Down East International - so the VIBAL system may have something to do with that. They carried 3 fully qualified Captains, one of whom sat in the jump seat. They basically drove the aircraft down to the ground on the glideslope, and the jump seater made the decision to either land or go around. Worked a treat. I think the Fairchilds were traded for ATR's. Dunno if they still have 'em.

604guy
7th Jul 2005, 00:10
The landing limits were 50 and 1/8

Ah, good 'ole Ace McCool. Now there was a man's man!:ok:

pigboat
7th Jul 2005, 01:23
The only Vanguards with "Have Landed" on the cabin ordinance signs. :cool: