PDA

View Full Version : NATS: Job Security

atcea.com
5th Jul 2005, 13:02
NATS Profitable (http://www.rin.org.uk/pooled/articles/BF_NEWSART/view.asp?Q=BF_NEWSART_104556)

At least someone is making money with ATC!
---
Visit "The Luck Vector" virtual ATC pub (http://atcea.com)

BDiONU
5th Jul 2005, 13:24
Hhhhmmm, you need to balance that with "This compares with a loss of £29.1m for the year ended 31 March 2003 and a loss of £79.9m for the year ended 31 March 2002."

Since privatisation NATS are still not 'making money' per se.

BD

TCAS FAN
5th Jul 2005, 22:00
Stop knocking it, NATS is at last developing into a viable business, while maintaining safety as its primary objective. It's of course long overdue, where in the real world is the regulator the primary service provider?

It will take some time to finally resolve the stranglehold that the unions previously had over the old NATS civil service regimes, but indications are that with a straight talking business orientated new Chief Executive in place, NATS will in future move towards rewarding success, not failure. Seems to me that all the NATS hangers-on had better start making alternative plans for their future careers.

Behindblooeyes
5th Jul 2005, 22:42
I can only assume you're not a NATS employee? Or at least not at the sharp end...

Air traffic control is part of the infrastructure of any civilised country and therefore should never ever be run as a profit making business for the benefit of its shareholders.

What next? A privatised police force? Armed services run for profit?

Someone get me off my soapbox!

Stupendous Man
6th Jul 2005, 08:04
Seems to me that all the NATS hangers-on had better start making alternative plans for their future careers.

Yes - what do everyone at the CTC Job Creation Scheme plan to do when there are no more paper planes to make up, dodgy boarding passes to distribute and room makeovers to do?

BEXIL160
6th Jul 2005, 09:47
Question.
where in the real world is the regulator the primary service provider?

Answer:
The USA.

But then, the FAA is also charged with promoting aviation as well.

There are dangers in having a business orientated regime in place in safety critical organisations. See the UK rail network.

Rgds BEX

Over+Out
6th Jul 2005, 10:15
As it has been mentioned, what is the purpose of CTC ? What does anyone do down there ?

Evil Lord Ham
9th Jul 2005, 15:30
Air traffic control is part of the infrastructure of any civilised country ...

Why is ATC any more essential than airports or airlines? Or are you proposing nationalisation of the entire aviation industry? Maybe you should remember sometime that you are just part of a commercial activity the same as everybody else.

You are perpetuating the myth of controllers as one of God's chosen. Yes, safety is of prime importance, but no more so than for a pilot. You take home your salary because someone pays for your service. The only difference is that if ATC is run badly, someone usually bails them out, whereas an airline goes bust and the workers get sacked.

Jerricho
9th Jul 2005, 16:04
Why is ATC any more essential than airports or airlines

Where did Behindblooeyes say that?

Yes, safety is of prime importance, but no more so than for a pilot.

And no less.

Evil Lord Ham
9th Jul 2005, 17:57
What he said was that ATC should never be run for a profit for shareholders. By implication he is saying that a private company cannot be safe. Yet all of our airlines and airports are run that way, with proper safety regulation.

Gonzo
9th Jul 2005, 18:48
Evil Lord Ham,

Airlines are different, if they start to lose money they can alter ticket prices or withdraw unprofitable routes or decrease capacity by using A320s instead of 767s.

What can ATC service providers do?

Jerricho
9th Jul 2005, 20:12
And as a further to what Gonzo has said Evil Lord Ham, airlines can offer all sorts of wonderful package deals, provide an economy/business/first class service and alike.

As to airports, yes there are parts of the operation that are regulated, such as "Thou shall have taxiway lighting so far apart"........but tell me how much of BAA's profit come from rent from retail shops in terminals, hotels constructed on airport land, parking, hire car companies etc.

Tell me Mr Lord Ham. Here in Canada ATC has been deemed an essential service by Transport Canada. Is it just them pissing in our pockets?

9th Jul 2005, 21:07
You refer to a straight talking, business orientated new chief executive, or should that be "executioner"? Don't mention that name down the road at Eastleigh where thousands were made redundant, and don't study the financial situation of previous companies too closely either.
My union looks after me very well and I thank them for protecting me against a return to Dickensian work ethics.
Any "slash-and-burn" merchants can make improvements in the short term.....they won't be here after knighthood time.....but we will be!
Don't be taken in by the glossy brochure treatment, that is meant for the people on the outside; we on the inside try not to laugh at the immaturity of the never-ending stream of pathetic initiatives from those who completely underestimate the intelligence of the workforce.