PDA

View Full Version : Trainee and Operational controllers experiences

ATCTimmy
4th Jul 2005, 17:30
I would like to know of the experience people have had during the selection tests,interviews,training and working as ATCOs.

I have some questions:
What is particularly hard in the tests?
How are the questions given? On a question sheet and then an answer sheet or a different way?
Which interviews are particularly hard?
When training, do you have to take notes and have folders etc.?
Do you get issued with a license to be a trainee ATCO and does this get sent to you by CAA?

And a completely separate question:
How pressurised is it working at the Swanwick London Centre?

Will be grateful for good answers.
Thanks
Tim

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Jul 2005, 17:52
<<How pressurised is it working at the Swanwick London Centre?>>

"Pressure" is in the eye of the beholder, or something. Different people get stressed about different things. During my whole ATC career I truthfully never felt stressed whilst doing the job... but the annual medicals stressed me to breaking point and I remain terrrified of all things medical. A lot is down to attitude; if you want to be stressed you will be. If you can remain relaxed life is easier. Of course, the most relaxed controllers are definitely those who are not hanging on by their finger tips. Show me a controller who can work a busy sector and joke with his colleagues around him and I'll show you someone who is not under pressure.

Someone_Else
4th Jul 2005, 18:26
Hey, I'm currently training at the college, to answer your opening questions, have a look at the article locked on the top of the ATC forum you will find plenty of information there regarding the selection process.

You do not have a licence while you are a trainee at the college; whilst you are at the college you are working towards attaining a student ATCO licence which will enable you to commence further training at a unit. Once you have been through the full training at the unit you will get a fill ATCO licence. Both are issued and regulated by the CAA.

You have a lot of work to be done inside and outside the college in order to pass the exams and absorb the knowledge you need to do the job, so if you go for it be prepared to work hard.

Hope this answers some of your questions, good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Standard Noise
4th Jul 2005, 23:14
Well said, couldn't have put it better myself, HD .

ATCTimmy
5th Jul 2005, 17:02
Thank you for all the replies.

Could someone tell me about the training and selection process only as to their own story.
If you feel more comfortable sending it in private please do so makes no difference to me.

Thank you

Carbide Finger
5th Jul 2005, 17:12
ATC Timmy

You'll find most people won't give away too much about the game. If you do a search on Proone, you'll find what you need. Here is a brief run through:

1 Assessment day: Spatial Reasoning, Arithmetic and Psychometric Testing etc all against the clock

2 Interview Day: Technical Interview, HR Interview and the dreaded computer tests (collision prediction and arithmetic)

3 Medical

4 College: Well, you'll find out when you get there!

5 Unit Training: Worry about steps 1 through 3 before even thinking about this one.

All these points have been expanded on numerous times - do the search/legwork yourself, it will pay off in the long run.

;)

CF